Why does the Note 7 have USB Type C charging?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What is type c charging port, why the need to change it? This seems like an Apple trick to sell chargers.

The micro USB is being replaced by the type-C connector. This is not exclusive to Samsung. Other OEMs have made the switch on their high-end flagships. If anything, it's Samsung playing catch-up.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I believe they allow faster transfers between your phone and a PC as well. If anything, you would only need to get additional cables, not chargers. I would rather get a new cable for my car charger than use the bulky adapter, which may put extra weight around the phone port.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Its a new standard that solves many ergonomic and technical limitations of micro USB (remember mini USB.. still get one every now and then)

Capable of more power throughput, much faster data speeds, end to end cables, meaning you will start seeing cables with USB -C on both ends, in addition the cable can be put in either direction, there is no top and bottom.

bucky716

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I've never hesitated to hash Apple for things but type c is an advancement, not a priority thing. Micro USB has been around for how long now? Time to move forward with technology! And like others mentioned, there are adapters to continue using what you already have.

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
The connector to the phone feels much better/sturdier than micro USB.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Since N7 doesn't support quick charge 3.0, is there any benefits to USB-C other than faster file transfer rates?

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Since N7 doesn't support quick charge 3.0, is there any benefits to USB-C other than faster file transfer rates?
The answer is below....
It is also reversible so you don't have to worry about sticking it in the wrong way
Yup, that's huge. I always pick up a USB the wrong way, and then have to twist. Sometimes I figure that I am that unlucky to pick it up that way, and I flip it around... guess what, then its backwards. I hate plugging in things in the dark.

If using USB 3.x, IIRC.
Apparently USB 3 is going to be on the snapdragon version, but not the other one... however, that discussion seems open to debate at this moment.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have reversible microusb cables so I probably won't see much benefit in USB C. It's still nice that they're moving forward. Gonna have to start buying more cables though, or at least some adapters

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

It can support faster charging more safely. There's no speed difference in QC 3.0 and QC 2.0; the difference is efficiency. USB C gives faster data, it can carry HD display signal, HF sound signals and most importantly one type of connection that works with everything - the end of proprietary ports.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What is type c charging port, why the need to change it? This seems like an Apple trick to sell chargers.

Samsung is putting the most advanced tech it can into this device. That's USB Type C at the moment. It's not an Apple thing to do, because Apple wouldn't use an industry standard like usb. They'd put a proprietary port and call it thunder or lightning. They also wouldn't include an adapter. If Samsung was worried about selling $3 cables on Amazon, they probably wouldn't include an adapter.

Jagadalic

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
So does the phone have USB 3.1? On the Samsung site it says it does for the USA model but people have said it doesn't.

Attachments

• 436.jpg
    436.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 119

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non