Leaving iOS... Couple questions

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I am considering the same switch for the first time since the iPhone 3gs. Google photos actually lets you offload photos from your phone? I still can't believe that iCloud doesn't do this. I've had to upgrade my cloud storage twice now. So now I have to pay a premium for a larger storage phone, but also a monthly payment for backups.

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I am considering the same switch for the first time since the iPhone 3gs. Google photos actually lets you offload photos from your phone? I still can't believe that iCloud doesn't do this. I've had to upgrade my cloud storage twice now. So now I have to pay a premium for a larger storage phone, but also a monthly payment for backups.

iOS 9 does allow you to optimize your storage by deleting local photos and videos while keeping the originals in iCloud.

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it allows you to delete the photo. Only keep an 'optimized' version on your phone while keeping the full res version in iCloud. The only way I've heard to get around it is family sharing folders, which is not exactly intuitive.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow.... Freaking Awesome... THANKS!!!! some great fixes.

I checked out Pushbullet... PERFECT fix...

Google Keep... PERFECT fix...

Microsoft one note looks good too...

Thanks for all the advice!!!

First...welcome to the Dark side...we have Marshmallows and Nougat!! But seriously....I think I would suggest Hangouts as SMS and get the hangouts plug in for Chrome. Once you have that, I think it will work quite well.

I like Pushbullet....and maybe someone can correct me if I misunderstood what happened in the past year...but didn't PushBullet impose a text message limit unless you pay the monthly subscription rate they have?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

In Google Photos settings, there is an option of High quality. This is the option Google allows unlimited free storage on your Google Drive account. You can choose to upload at the Original quality but this counts against your space. Drive starts at 15 GB free and is pretty reasonable for extra space. 100 GB is $2/mo, and 1 TB is $10/mo. Keep an eye out in the news and the forums. Google sometimes offers temp upgrades if you buy certain products (I have some offers that will expire from buying a Chromebook and a couple other devices), and they were giving out permanent upgrades if you did Security and privacy checks on your account (I think this is still available, but I am not sure).

shadoweave

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a couple questions. Making the move from iPhone 6+ S to the Note 7. Pre-ordered from Verizon. There are a few things I use a lot and I'm hoping to have some reasonable solutions.

1) I use the reminder app on my iPhone all the time. What are you using with Note phones?

2) I use Siri for making calls and sending text. Is there something similar?

3) I have over 6k pictures and have moved them to Google Photos. One thing I like about iOS is they are all organized by the date and time I took them. Can I do the same on my Note or in google photos?

4) This one is a bit troubling for me... One convenient thing about iOS is the ability to send and receive SMS messages from my phone or my Mac. Is there anything else like this with Note phones or Android in general.

Thanks in advance for the community involvement here. I hope to make this transition smooth with no regrets. I'm a small business owner and use my phone to run my business a lot during the day. I am very much looking forward to the freedom and change.

Thanks!!!

Don't install to many apps. Android cannot handle that as well as iOS. You'll need to pay attention to your memory and get a good malware scanner as well.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Google photos is great. I believe it sorts default by date and you can view other ways as well, by main category and even simple search terms. I have probably 14000 photos in Google photos. I can search for "motorcycle" or "huskies" and it'll pull just those photos for viewing very quickly. I auto save mine so Google photos backs up all the photos I take at the reduced size for unlimited storage

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't install to many apps. Android cannot handle that as well as iOS. You'll need to pay attention to your memory and get a good malware scanner as well.

While there have been a few ‘scares’ recently, reality has been different. As long as you are getting your apps through the Play Store and leave the security measures on the phone in place, you are going to be safe.

Alex and the AC crew have addressed this in the blog consistently. Here is the latest: QuadRooter vulnerability: 5 things to know about this Android security scare | Android Central

That said, I don’t object to folks scanning, but it is not like the move from iOS to Android has all of the sudden caused a huge malware risk for folks.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Respectfully, this is not the case anymore.

I have about 150 apps on my Note 5 and it runs great. I have never used a malware scanner. I have not once looked at my memory usage. These are all things that might have been a concern for older or lower end devices...

Last edited: