Note 7 & 3500 mAh - How will battery life be?

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Of course someone is going to buy a new phone, stream you tube in the background, and play pokemon go non-stop, and then complain that it's the hardware's fault that the battery life sucks.

Lay eyes upon thy apps my children. For that is where most evil lurks.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Normal users will get at least a day's use out of it.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am not so much curious about personal opinions, however I do want to see some benchmark battery testing.

I am quite the opposite. I couldn't care less about the benchmarks. I want to know how long it will last with my usage compared to : my usage with my Note 5 for example. Those generic CNET, Verge, etc battery tests make for good discussions, and perhaps a very general idea of a battery performance. However for me, they often don't quite correlate with what I end up seeing myself comparatively.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
If the Snapdragon 820 in the Note 7 is similar to the one in the GS7 Edge, average SOT should be between 4.5 to 6 hrs with mixed WiFi and 4G LTE and brightness set to autobrightness.

I've never had to charge my GS7 Edge before bedtime and the highest SOT I got was a bit over 6 hrs with all features on such as autobrightness, GPS, NFC, sync, Bluetooth, wifi, and LTE.

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I don't have a Note 7 but I can tell you base on my experience with previous Samsung phones including the S7 8890 edge.

The international version of the S7 edge with it 8890 core is about 20% more battery than the SnapDragon. It is so good that I can watch Youtube with 1% left as long as it charging. I got about 19 hours before needing to charge again and about 11 hours and 45 minutes off on screen time. The S7 edge SD has about 9 hours and 30 minutes of on screen time so I will imagine that the Note 7 will have less because it also more feature pack. This is the exact reason why I'm debating if I want to get a Note 7 because the battery life on it isn't going to be very long. Maybe around 7 hours of on screen time would be my guess. 4000 mah + would have sold it for me. Hope that help!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I am quite the opposite. I couldn't care less about the benchmarks. I want to know how long it will last with my usage compared to : my usage with my Note 5 for example. Those generic CNET, Verge, etc battery tests make for good discussions, and perhaps a very general idea of a battery performance. However for me, they often don't quite correlate with what I end up seeing myself comparatively.
Not to mention different carriers can have issues that affect battery life. One thing I've also seen with LTE, very low signal that allows calls and texting still, can really drain battery.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I will never understand how people get 9+ hours of sot. I have a note 5, and even using it clean, just debloated I can't get anywhere near that. I'm going camping with no signal, so I will put it into airplane mode, and I seriously doubt I can watch movies for more than 6 hours before it craps.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I will never understand how people get 9+ hours of sot. I have a note 5, and even using it clean, just debloated I can't get anywhere near that. I'm going camping with no signal, so I will put it into airplane mode, and I seriously doubt I can watch movies for more than 6 hours before it craps.
Different things drain the screen at a different rate. SOT is something good to look at but.. It can matter what you are doing during that SOT.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Wow I can't believe people are talking about 6 to 7 hours of sot! This is wonderland to me with my LG G4.

If this is the case then I will have no disadvantage because my sot is currently max 3 to 3.5 hours. After a battery swap I will get the same as one charge!

I say this slightly tongue in cheek but also slightly optimistic.

I will need to learn to cope without a backup battery though. It is almost a security blanket. How do you guys handle long flights or airports etc. Do you use a battery case?

Posted via the Android Central App

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow I can't believe people are talking about 6 to 7 hours of sot! This is wonderland to me with my LG G4.

If this is the case then I will have no disadvantage because my sot is currently max 3 to 3.5 hours. After a battery swap I will get the same as one charge!

I say this slightly tongue in cheek but also slightly optimistic.

I will need to learn to cope without a backup battery though. It is almost a security blanket. How do you guys handle long flights or airports etc. Do you use a battery case?

Well, I wouldn't read too much into that at all. So many factors go into battery life and SoT. Everyone uses different apps in different ways. There are many, many factors, but the most important ones - and ones that will vary person to person - are:

- Network signal strength
- Screen Brightness
- Background updates - how many apps are checking for new stuff , and HOW OFTEN? ( Does this person have Twitter set to check new tweets every 5 min?, a bunch of widgets updating every 10 min?, etc)

- many, many other factors too

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd expect about the same, if not a little bit more than the S7E.... I'm fairly certain that Samsung sets up the kernel differently in the Note and S lines... with more conservative settings on the Note to allow it to be a little bit more efficient in light and medium duty tasks. I guess that Samsung does it this way since the Note is more focused on productivity and its users will be willing to sacrifice a little bit of raw performance to eek more out of a charge.

For pedal to the metal types running their Note 7's at full bore the whole time, they might be a tick less than the S7E.. but not by all that much. It'll still last a while.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Also keep in mind that the Note 7 is only in pre-order in the US. So even though reviewers have had them, they most likely won't be releasing full reviews until the phone is available for sale in stores.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
4 hour screen time on first review...

Yeah Jaime Rivera from pocket now posted a video today that says he's getting about 4 hours on the Note 7. However, he theorizes that there are issues with the signal he's been getting at his location that are harming the battery life, and that this is likely to improve. Battery life notwithstanding he calls the Note 7 the best phone of the year.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah Jaime Rivera from pocket now posted a video today that says he's getting about 4 hours on the Note 7. However, he theorizes that there are issues with the signal he's been getting at his location that are harming the battery life, and that this is likely to improve. Battery life notwithstanding he calls the Note 7 the best phone of the year.

Oh, hands down its the phone of the year. It would be icing on the cake if the battery rocks like the S7 Edge.