Fast wireless charging any good?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I find fast wireless charging to be pretty slow. It is faster than regular wireless charging but much slower than qc 2.0

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I hope I don't overcharge this new phone.

Yup, can go from 7am to 10 or 11pm on a single charge with my normal use (it's not super-screen-time intensive, though, just hours of music through BT headphones, lots of e-mails, constant Android Wear connection, a couple active navigations, and the occasional social media check/post, maybe a quick video or two). Usually about 4 hours of screen-on time, but I know that it could go higher if I was just watching movies or something like that.

Oh, yeah, that's on an S7 Edge. Had very similar life with a Note 5, so I can't see why the Note 7 would be any different if not better. And that's why I really don't miss the removable battery. Used it only a couple of times with the Note 4, and that was it. Still have the charger and battery like new gathering dust because it went unused. For those picture-intensive trips, a small 2,200mAh battery pack suffices.

hugg727

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
No problem! Let's see if I can answer it all :)
1) QC and Adaptive Fast Charging are basically the same thing: Fast Charging. They're just different names given by different companies. QC, the most generic of the two, has several revisions and QC2 (currently what Samsung's AFC is based upon) is slower than QC3.
2) USB-C will let you use Fast Charging.
3) Wireless charging is slower than a normal, wired charger, so people tend to assume that because a wireless charger has 'fast charging' slapped on it, they'll have the same charging speeds as a wired QC or AFC charger. They won't. A Wireless Fast Charger is closer in charging speeds as a normal, non-QuickCharging 2A wired charger. So a 'Fast' wireless charger will just charge your phone like a normal charger would, just faster than a normal wireless charger would. 'True' Fast Charging can only come (right now) from wired chargers equipped to do so. The charger included with the Note 7 will be Fast-Charging-enabled.

Great explanation but I have read that the Note 7 with the 820 SOC can do QC 3.0 but Samsung has scaled it back because the Exynos chip in the Euro model cannot do QC 3.0. They wanted everyone to have the same capabilities.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
No problem! Let's see if I can answer it all :)
1) QC and Adaptive Fast Charging are basically the same thing: Fast Charging. They're just different names given by different companies. QC, the most generic of the two, has several revisions and QC2 (currently what Samsung's AFC is based upon) is slower than QC3.
2) USB-C will let you use Fast Charging.
3) Wireless charging is slower than a normal, wired charger, so people tend to assume that because a wireless charger has 'fast charging' slapped on it, they'll have the same charging speeds as a wired QC or AFC charger. They won't. A Wireless Fast Charger is closer in charging speeds as a normal, non-QuickCharging 2A wired charger. So a 'Fast' wireless charger will just charge your phone like a normal charger would, just faster than a normal wireless charger would. 'True' Fast Charging can only come (right now) from wired chargers equipped to do so. The charger included with the Note 7 will be Fast-Charging-enabled.
Spookdroid, great response. Thank you for the info. Never used wireless charging but would like to use it by the bed with the N7 on the Samsung wireless fast charger at night. Is that a good idea as far as battery longevity? I like to have the battery fully charged when I leave in the morning plus would like to use the phone as a nightstand clock. Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It says that, but it's defaulting to a slower charge when the screen is on. Test it manually by observing or with an amperage app.

The S7 Line defaults to 'standard' charging speeds when the screen is on to avoid overheating. Fast Charging only kicks in when the screen is off. Also, remember that the fastest charging rate occurs in the first 50% of the battery; after that it exponentially slows down and becomes pretty much 'standard' for the last 10 or 15 percent.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Spookdroid, great response. Thank you for the info. Never used wireless charging but would like to use it by the bed with the N7 on the Samsung wireless fast charger at night. Is that a good idea as far as battery longevity? I like to have the battery fully charged when I leave in the morning plus would like to use the phone as a nightstand clock. Thanks

Shouldn't worry about it. Like we said, the chargers are protected and the phone (see response above) will 'slow down' the charge towards the end.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think he meant 'normal' wireless VS fast wireless.
Here's a chart from Phandroid. Fast Wireless is closer to a 'normal' wired one.
View attachment 234742
I care mainly about 25-75/80% since that is enough for me. That chart proves my point... The wired is about 1.5 to 2x faster than the fast wireless charging. The chart shows roughly 70-75% faster charging from 25% to 75%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KZCY