Galaxy Note 7 Reviews Are Up

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Reviews Are Up

The Verge says its better than the iPhone 6 Plus. Hell hath frozen over.

For the Verge to say it, yeah ... but so was the S7 Edge, HTC 10, S7, Nexus 6P, maybe the Note 5, Moto Z Force and possibly the OnePlus 3 and Axon 7. So those were missed chances. :p

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have to admit, I do not like Samsung. I do not like their business ethics (or better say the lack of), I do not like the fact that their devices are too gimmicky.
I recognize though that a lot of people like Samsung phones. I understand why this is happening. Samsung is very consumer oriented and it has a great marketing presence.
Their last devices have a very good design, and offer great displays and cameras (but not to my liking. I prefer more realistic color reproduction).
Their UI is similar to iOS. It is familiar to most people, and yet different.
For me, Touchwiz is still a problem. I prefer the slickness of the HTC Sense, or of Stock Android.
Having said that, the Note 7 is certainly a very good device and I am sure that people suited for the Samsung experience, will love it.
It is certainly not the best phone out there. There is no such thing. The "best phone" is a personal, subjective view on the smartphone market. What is perfect for me, is most probably not good for others. It is good we all have choices.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Like I said before, I love Sammy boy for what they do. They innovate and push boundaries. I agree. But they don't push the boundaries where Google is trying to do it. User experience.

Not trying to be sarcastic or a ****, but how does Google "push the boundaries" of "user experience" as opposed to Samsung? Seems to me that Samsung adds many, many things that actually improve the user experience from Google's stock version. I can certainly see the argument that Google's version of Android is more pure, but even with the next version I see it's adding a lot of things to Nougat that Samsung (and LG and Moto, etc.) have already added to its versions of Android.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

The Verge says its better than the iPhone 6 Plus. Hell hath frozen over.

Check back with them in late September when they'll certainly call the iPhone 7 (or whatever it will be named) the greatest invention in the history of mankind. ;)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit, I do not like Samsung. I do not like their business ethics (or better say the lack of), I do not like the fact that their devices are too gimmicky.
I recognize though that a lot of people like Samsung phones. I understand why this is happening. Samsung is very consumer oriented and it has a great marketing presence.
Their last devices have a very good design, and offer great displays and cameras (but not to my liking. I prefer more realistic color reproduction).
For me, Touchwiz is still a problem. I prefer the slickness of the HTC Sense, or of Stock Android.
Having said that, the Note 7 is certainly a very good device and I am sure that people suited for the Samsung experience, will love it.
It is certainly not the best phone out there. There is no such thing. The "best phone" is a personal, subjective view on the smartphone market. What is perfect for me, is most probably not good for others. It is good we all have choices.

I don't really agree with any of this, except where you point out that Samsung is consumer oriented with very good design, and offer great displays and cameras.

rogers3712

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I've yet to see a poor review anywhere to be honest. And I've handled a dummy unit and at the very least, I can say it is absolutely beautiful! As a few different reviewers have noted, it seems like the S7/Edge (an already pretty incredible phone) upgraded and with a couple extra significant features like the S Pen and the Iris Scanner.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Seems you would like the MXPE, since apparently has the most accurate color for display. Mine has been solid for a year.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Samsung could make their UI as flawless as possible, as smooth as possible, and I'm convinced there would still be people who come on here claiming stock or Sense is "slicker" or faster. If you're still on that bandwagon in 2016 when TouchWiz is not nearly the chaotic mess it once was, you're behind the times. The S and Note lines aren't for everyone, but if your main reason for not liking these devices is because of TouchWiz then you're stuck in 2014 and I feel bad for you.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Not trying to be sarcastic or a ****, but how does Google "push the boundaries" of "user experience" as opposed to Samsung? Seems to me that Samsung adds many, many things that actually improve the user experience from Google's stock version. I can certainly see the argument that Google's version of Android is more pure, but even with the next version I see it's adding a lot of things to Nougat that Samsung (and LG and Moto, etc.) have already added to its versions of Android.

You're right. Google is behind Samsung and other OEMs when it comes to number of features. Its only catching up. But the word you used; pure android. It doesn't only mean that there is no skin over it or anything. Pure android shows the direction and innovation of Google and what they want android to become. Who knows there audience better is up for debate. But Google is aiming for coherent design language and usability. Through their apps and their OS. They're adding features slowly, yes, that isn't good for the consumer. But they still are.

It takes a lot of expertise to innovate in design and usability keeping function as good as possible. And Google is doing that with every update.

Samsung only adopts the functionality part of their innovation and ignores everything else; design, coherence throughout the UI, continuity and etc. These things are Google's main strengths.

Anyways. This would be my last post in this thread. What I'm saying is a little complicated and useless to debate here. Most people don't care about the hard work Google is putting into. And i understand. Ive just used so many phones now that I've started to pick up stuff which a common user don't understand or doesn't need to understand.

Peace.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I will say... around or before the Nexus 4... you had manufacturers doing their own thing with Android... HTC Sense, Touchwiz, etc... and there were pluses... and a lot of minuses... and each going their own direction with it with the good being good and the bad getting worse also adding in more and more of their bloat.

I think the positive with Pure Android was you had a clean bloatless experience... showing what a clean running experience should be, the direction in Google wanted to go in and because it was such a win with users, the experiences you see now in HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc... they are all more closer to stock Google experiences and influenced it than versions from back then.

IMO, Touchwiz was terrible a few generations ago. What I see in the current series is much more appealing and this is the first time I have finally found a Samsung I am willing to buy.

So Nexus/stock android has it's place. It may look boring but I believe it to be the gold standard that all the other manufacturers work from. Because of that I'll have a special like for Nexus because I wouldn't have bought my first Android from any of the other manufacturers with their UIs.

My .02 cents lol.

Last edited:

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
You're right. Google is behind Samsung and other OEMs when it comes to number of features. Its only catching up. But the word you used; pure android. It doesn't only mean that there is no skin over it or anything. Pure android shows the direction and innovation of Google and what they want android to become. Who knows there audience better is up for debate. But Google is aiming for coherent design language and usability. Through their apps and their OS. They're adding features slowly, yes, that isn't good for the consumer. But they still are.

It takes a lot of expertise to innovate in design and usability keeping function as good as possible. And Google is doing that with every update.

Samsung only adopts the functionality part of their innovation and ignores everything else; design, coherence throughout the UI, continuity and etc. These things are Google's main strengths.

Anyways. This would be my last post in this thread. What I'm saying is a little complicated and useless to debate here. Most people don't care about the hard work Google is putting into. And i understand. Ive just used so many phones now that I've started to pick up stuff which a common user don't understand or doesn't need to understand.

Peace.

Looking at Samsung as if they ignore or diminish what Google is trying to do is just looking at it from the wrong perspective. Yes, stock Android has this cult-like following because "It's what Google intended" and "It's Android as it's meant to be". I've been a supporter of that from day one and am typing this on a 6P running the Nougat dev preview. Samsung has made a conscious choice to develop their own UI on top of Android because it sells and it allows them to bring forth new features otherwise not supported by stock/pure Android.

I'll give you an example. This Note 7 comes with a flatter UI design, but from what I can tell, still appears to be just a little disjointed and not 100℅ the material design Google employs. However, it also comes with a battery saving mode that allows you to change the screen resolution that not only saves battery, but can positively affect performance, too. Considering the positives of something like that, do the minor design qualms really matter?

Samsung has made a committed effort to clean up their UI and has made some large strides in that area. People who wouldn't touch an S or Note device because they thought TouchWiz was egregious have come around because the effort and commitment to improving those pain areas is there.

I think this really boils down to people just not liking Samsung because it's too "mainstream" now like the iPhone is. It isn't the cool choice anymore so people still hate on it. I think that really doesn't give the credit to a company that is synonymous with Android now because it's the most successful line of phones by far on this platform.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

If Samsung got back in bed with Google and made this a Nexus device, they could literally drop the mic for 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Nah... the end result wouldn't really be anything different than something like the 6P. Huawei can build a phone just as good as Samsung can... but it's always been software for them (as it is with Samsung). A Sammy-made Nexus would be good, but nothing any better in comparison than what we have currently. Oh, it'd be the first phone since the GPE S4 that didn't have a broken OS though. ;)

archheretic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I'm very interested after reading all reviews. Bit torn whether I should buy now, so i have the best until the s8 is released, or whether I should wait. Was tempted to wait for nexus, but love my wireless charging and sd card too much. I'm on the s6 at the moment, and whilst I initially loved it, battery had turned to crap, and my gps is often stuck on searching. Hoping the note doesn't have these annoying issues that didn't show up in initial reviews.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hoping the note doesn't have these annoying issues that didn't show up in initial reviews.

That'd be in the back of my mind... My wife has a S7 and it was great... At first... But recently, there have been a few maddening quirks that have popped up that have me looking to get her into a phone that won't drive her batty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez