Question about the phone that samsung could not answer. Anyone here?

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Can you send and receive picture messages when your data is turned off (by you), while on or off wifi? The htc line and the lg v10 is capable of this. I have a lg v10 and looking into upgrading to this phone if It is capable of doing this one feature. Thank you.

Posted via the Android Central App

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Can you send and receive picture messages when your data is turned off (by you), while on or off wifi? The htc line and the lg v10 is capable of this. I have a lg v10 and looking into upgrading to this phone if It is capable of doing this one feature. Thank you.

Not sure if that is dependent on carrier or not. I have tmobile and can't send photos without data on. Won't work with just wifi for me-currently note 5

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
SMS/MMS both need to have your network available. So if no cell connection then SMS won't work. And if no data connection then no MMS. Just think about it like this, if you had a device without any service but connected to wifi, you wouldn't be able to send any messages. Only use apps/services that relay on Internet connection (Skype for example) and not carrier services.

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have Att. My lg v10 does it and so did all my HTC phones. They explain it as it is an internal switch that auto activates. So. Yes. My data switch is off yet I have data on my plan, but I send and receive pictures all the time. It's a question not many have heard of or even think to ask. But. I hope att can answer it now, as they knew immediately that the v10 was capable. Thanks.

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have Verizon. I can send and receive texts while in wifi. I also have Wi-Fi calling enabled, not sure if that makes a difference

Sent from Sir Cletus Sexy IV.
(S7 Edge Titanium)

seanmten

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
This phone on AT&T supports both wifi calling and advanced messaging so you should check out their wifi calling page. If I remember correctly wifi calling is the technology that allows you to also use SMS/MMS through wifi instead of a cell connection. It might be worth asking an iPhone user on AT&T as they've had this technology on the 6 for a while now.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Like others have said it depends on your carrier, but it also depends on what apps you are using and the strength of your WiFi connection. Like some of the others I am on Verizon, and their network supports sending picture messages over WiFi. Some of the texting programs will support the feature (like Verizon's Message+ app) and others will not. In addition some of the apps will determine that the WiFi strength may be so weak that it decides to hold the message/image until a stronger connection/speed is detected and send over that connection. Its more the network and apps that determine if you can do things like this as opposed to the phone itself.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have Verizon. I can send and receive texts while in wifi. I also have Wi-Fi calling enabled, not sure if that makes a difference

Sent from Sir Cletus Sexy IV.
(S7 Edge Titanium)

What about if you turn your data off and only keep wifi on?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have Att. My lg v10 does it and so did all my HTC phones. They explain it as it is an internal switch that auto activates. So. Yes. My data switch is off yet I have data on my plan, but I send and receive pictures all the time. It's a question not many have heard of or even think to ask. But. I hope att can answer it now, as they knew immediately that the v10 was capable. Thanks.

If it auto activates it then that means it turns it on. For devices that don't support that kind of functionality it won't happen. Devices need access to the network to send SMS or MMS. Or else everyone could just buy prepaid phones without service and just text over wifi for free lol.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

To piggy back on what you just said I tried on my S7e on AT&T. Turned off data and left wifi on. And just like you mentioned it auto turned on LTE (as it popped up briefly) sent my picture and then data was back off. So that means it did need a data connecrion to my network to send the message even wifh wifi on. Otherwise it wouldnt need to auto toggle. I think a good question would be what would happen if I didn't have a data connection at all. Meaning it tried to auto switch but couldn't get a signal. Wonder what the message would do then. Hmmmmm.

So to the OP i would imagine the note would do the same thing as expected given your network allows it.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I would also ask this: Is there some reason you must continue to use MMS for sending and receiving photos? Any number of other apps do it very well, and will work just fine on any type of connection (WhatsApp, Messenger, Hangouts, Allo (soon to be released), etc.

Just wondering ..

JessiLulu

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if that is dependent on carrier or not. I have tmobile and can't send photos without data on. Won't work with just wifi for me-currently note 5

I have T-Mobile, but don't have signal where I live. I can send and receive both text and picture messages via Wi-Fi. I am also on a Note 5.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site

Boy that is the quirkiest/weirdest criteria I have ever heard in selecting a phone.

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
To piggy back on what you just said I tried on my S7e on AT&T. Turned off data and left wifi on. And just like you mentioned it auto turned on LTE (as it popped up briefly) sent my picture and then data was back off. So that means it did need a data connecrion to my network to send the message even wifh wifi on. Otherwise it wouldnt need to auto toggle. I think a good question would be what would happen if I didn't have a data connection at all. Meaning it tried to auto switch but couldn't get a signal. Wonder what the message would do then. Hmmmmm.

So to the OP i would imagine the note would do the same thing as expected given your network allows it.

Thanks. I appreciate you trying that out. Not many phones have that feature and not many people understand what I'm asking for.

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I would also ask this: Is there some reason you must continue to use MMS for sending and receiving photos? Any number of other apps do it very well, and will work just fine on any type of connection (WhatsApp, Messenger, Hangouts, Allo (soon to be released), etc.

Just wondering ..

I prefer the stock app. I have all those other apps, but some people do not. I have a full data package on my phone. The actual reason I want that feature is bc I primarily work from home and keep data off. I stay on wifi, so I'd prefer a phone that auto sends them, as my current device does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty