Really samsung? scratches already on my galaxy note 7

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Really samsung scratches already on my galaxy note 7

It's glass, it's a decently large phone so things are unfortunately bound to happen. Knowing I can potentially break or scratch my beautiful phone is something I just have to live with, and do. That said, I dropped my old Note 4 sooooooooo many times before it finally broke, I don't know how I didn't break it previously. And when it did break, it wasn't the glass- it was the lcd underneath. Glass was flawless still, other than scratches.

I'm one to hate cases on a great looking phone, and bulky cases at that. I've ordered a couple different Spigeon cases for now, I may get a UAG as I was a big fan of the one on my 4. So the fact that I don't like screen protector, and don't like most cases out there and want to see my phone in its naked beauty- if it gets cracked or scratched I'll be heart broken but it is what it is

Posted via the Android Central App

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Why do people act like they will keep this phone forever? After a few months, you'll care less

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

.... Honestly I think this happened at the t mobile store when the lady was applying my screen protector when she had a sitting on the counter cleaning the front

Same thing happened to my S7E, only it's just a tiny little scratch at the bottom right corner of the back. I know for a fact it wasn't there before I handed it over the to AT&T representative. She didn't place anything under the phone as she was rubbing at the screen to get the bubbles out, she just put the phone on the table, bare and got to work. It was when I was cleaning off the smudges that I noticed it. My phone is mostly in a case, regardless, but I'd be lying if I said that it didn't bother me. And this happened about a week or two after I got the phone, so I know exactly how you feel. They should understand better than anyone that these phones should be handled with care and the least they could do is make sure that there is cloth or something under the phone before they start working on putting on a screen protector - especially with the pressure that they use in order to make sure all the bubbles are out.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I wish Samsungs still had plastic backs and removable batteries. People have to pay more for the glass backs and 99% end up covering the back with a case anyway.

Yes, but then people on average would keep these devices more than the two years they want you to ;) Fixed batteries and delicate design equals quicker overall device turns.

I agree though with your point.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'd rather have a metal back and leave the battery sealed. Then no cracks and no removable backs.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Why do people act like they will keep this phone forever? After a few months, you'll care less
I know I won't have this forever and even 1.5 years is pushing it BUT... at the moment it sucks
Same thing happened to my S7E, only it's just a tiny little scratch at the bottom right corner of the back. I know for a fact it wasn't there before I handed it over the to AT&T representative. She didn't place anything under the phone as she was rubbing at the screen to get the bubbles out, she just put the phone on the table, bare and got to work. It was when I was cleaning off the smudges that I noticed it. My phone is mostly in a case, regardless, but I'd be lying if I said that it didn't bother me. And this happened about a week or two after I got the phone, so I know exactly how you feel. They should understand better than anyone that these phones should be handled with care and the least they could do is make sure that there is cloth or something under the phone before they start working on putting on a screen protector - especially with the pressure that they use in order to make sure all the bubbles are out.
Yes... as she was struggling to get out some bubbles at the top. I will mention that to the manager.. Better yet I may write to corporate and let them know they need a policy change

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Really did not know it was made of glass. I guess that's what the glass in Gorilla glass stands for. WHOA Thanks for that one. What was I thinking? That the quality of product to be better than its predecessors? How crazy would that be?

That's really unfortunate. Sadly a lot of pieces of dust while very small can still be very very hard.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

I learned the hard way about GG4 and scratches. Never had a case or a screen protector before I scratched the daylights out of my V10 and still to this day have no idea how. My S7E got scratched on the back camera plastic before I got it into a case too. I get why this upsets people, it upsets me too. But rather than chance it I'm going to err on the side of caution and continue with a screen protector and wallet case on this thing.

Smart phones are like just about every other piece of mobile tech. You wouldn't treat your new ultrabook with the same abandon as you did your Compaq Pentium 4 laptop of 15 years ago would you? Of course not. As technology gets smaller and faster, it also to some extent gets more delicate. It's becoming a fact of smartphones as much as I wish it wasn't.

I love the way the dual glass looks and I know putting a case on it does it no justice, but I can take it out when I want to show it off. The piece of mind that I get from knowing it's protected outweighs any aesthetic shortcomings.

My 2 cents

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Would the scratches be less noticeable on the silver?

Djlatino

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

Gorilla Glass 5 has been reported to have less scratch resistance than it's previous rendition, but much more shatter proof.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

What questions about samsung pay did you have. Yeah it should work, it works just fine on the S7 Edge. It also works on the S2 if you use Samsung Pay beta. I got a sub from there since I got in on that dead where you get 20.00 digital gift card when you make your first purchase using it. I got a bottle of pepsi and a bag of chips. which amounted to 3 something dollars. and got credited 20.00 (sweet deal).

lou380

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

they said this was was harder to break but easier to scratch..They advertise big time screen protectors since no good tempered glass have come out yet.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well I'd care. If I cause the scratch then that's on me.. But out of the box on a brand new device? I wouldn't want that.

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site

I was going to preorder the Note 7 here in Denmark, but after seeing the videos and pictures of the scratches, I think may just hold off. I really love the Note 7, but I hate scratches and refuse to wrap such a beautiful phone in a case and screen protector. Is it crazy to think that Samsung and Corning might improve the glass based on these complaints and we'll see a new production line in a few months that doesn't scratch as easily? If so, I might pick one up then.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Next year's S8 line of devices should go back to brushed metallic or textured plastic backs. With the curved edge trend, Samsung needs to find a way to make it more durable for the average consumer. People drop their phones every day, it happens.

The aesthetics of the Note 7 are top of the line. It looks and feels great in the hand without a case on it. After seeing threads like this, I can't help but to think that the Note 7 might not be a great choice for a daily driver for people outside of a business-like environment.

What I mean by that is the scratch resistance of GG5 is being questioned. People here aren't scratch testing their Note 7s, but just using them as an average user would. Sliding the device into their pockets, placing it in a purse or backpack, placing face down on a table, placing it into a car mount, or perhaps even coming into contact with loose coins or keys. If this device were kept in a flip case and primarily used while at a desk or office environment, it would barely have any scratches.

Bottom line is that while the glass back and design of the device is very sexy, any use without a protective case and screen protector will result in signs of wear. If you're upgrading from a device that has withstood more, I can understand some of your frustrations with the Note 7.

Joska5

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

For the money they want for it is a shame. Gorilla glass should not scratch. Also it looks like it collects fingerprints and smudges. Maybe a coating will help for the future.

mynameisnick4

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

I personally would take more scratch resistance than more shatter proof. I have way more situations where something abrasive can rub and potentially scratch the device versus dropping it.

oldtimefighter

May 3, 2016
Visit site

Glass will be scratched regardless. Blame chemistry/physics.

No... I had my Nexus 5 with GG3 for two and half years with no screen protector and zero scratches (HTC 10 now with GG4 and no scratches in 4 months). I suspect Corning made GG5 more impact resistance at the expense of scratch resistance. This seems to be a real issue as a number of people are complaining about it. Personally, I put my phone in a case so not so worried about breaking the screen. I really rather not go back to a screen protectors on my next phone (Marlin soon) so this is a concern to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa