Really samsung? scratches already on my galaxy note 7

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Really samsung scratches already on my galaxy note 7

Corning has an impossible task... they have to make a material that is both very hard (to avoid scratches) AND and very durable (to avoid cracks or shattering). Anyone who has spent any time dealing with materials science knows that those two qualities are diametrically opposed... if you want one, you often sacrifice the other. So they try all sorts of doping tricks to develop a glass that does both as best they can, but it is still a balancing act.

Any exposed surface, whether it is glass, metal or plastic, will suffer damage over time. That being said, anything wrapped in a relatively thin layer of glass will never be considered to be a hardened, durable object. What's the expression? "Treat it like it's made of glass"?

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

No... I had my Nexus 5 with GG3 for two and half years with no screen protector and zero scratches (HTC 10 now with GG4 and no scratches in 4 months). I suspect Corning made GG5 more impact resistance at the expense of scratch resistance. This seems to be a real issue as a number of people are complaining about it. Personally, I put my phone in a case so not so worried about breaking the screen. I really rather not go back to a screen protectors on my next phone (Marlin soon) so this is a concern to me.

agreed... and at the very least, if they were going to "change their formula to withstand more one type of abuse than another", couldn't they have included some kind of note on front that said: Attn Customer. Your Brand New Note 7 has been constructed with the very latest technology Gorilla Glass 5. Please be advised previous versions were designed to resist scratches better than drops. NOW it is the opposite."... Then, Note 7 users would be like, "whoa, good to know, i won't expect BETTER performance, maybe i'll HAVE to get some protection where i didn't have to WITH MY PAST 7 GALAXY PHONES!!!

May seem unrealistic for a mfg to do that, but these days with companies wanting to avoid ANY "gate" at the end of a feature in their product & with sooooo many ppl experiencing scratches where they have treated the phone EXACTLY as previous phones they have had, i think something should have been done to alert ppl. AND at least we would all of BEEN WARNED. The way they have marketed GG 5 seems a little disingenuous if your getting LESS scratch protection in a NEWER version. People just expect "newer" to be "better".. In this case, its just not & that just bites...

i feel for ALL those ppl who have scratched their brand new phone... It would kill me to the point i'd have to sell it, can't look at that for the next 6 months!

Sometimes i think this crowd would be so heartless if someone's newborn died in a car crash, they'd be like, "statistics say cars crash, what'd ya expect?!" (smh)

BTC

Last edited by a moderator:

wolverinex

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well as much as i hate to ask,has anyone scratched their screen? Mine is spotless, no screen protector ever on a gorilla glass phone!

theonecid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: scratch that screen! 😤

Well as much as i hate to ask,has anyone scratched their screen? Mine is spotless, no screen protector ever on a gorilla glass phone!

You should knock on wood, and also a screen protector is so recommended as others have been scratching their new Note 7.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(9780053)

Banned
Jan 1, 2016
Visit site

i was prayyyyyyyyyyying to god its notttttttttttttttttttttt true. must have rubbed it hard or something.

anon(9780053)

Banned
Jan 1, 2016
Visit site

we just got note7 and contracts. omg.....its gonna be the S10 BY THE TIME IM PAROLED FROM CONTRACT.

anon(9780053)

Banned
Jan 1, 2016
Visit site

PEOPLE DON'T:cool: TEMPT FATE and not PROTECT device. I WENT A STEP FURTHER by getting protection plus because it cover glass, and under 100 for replacement display.

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Corning has an impossible task... they have to make a material that is both very hard (to avoid scratches) AND and very durable (to avoid cracks or shattering). Anyone who has spent any time dealing with materials science knows that those two qualities are diametrically opposed... if you want one, you often sacrifice the other. So they try all sorts of doping tricks to develop a glass that does both as best they can, but it is still a balancing act.

Any exposed surface, whether it is glass, metal or plastic, will suffer damage over time. That being said, anything wrapped in a relatively thin layer of glass will never be considered to be a hardened, durable object. What's the expression? "Treat it like it's made of glass"?

Good points. Big time balancing act. I think the lesson here is that Corning may have reached that sweet spot between shatter/scratch resistance, with GG4. It might just be that simple. It sure seems that GG5 is more prone to scratch, with it's ever so slight increase in flexibility. And I think we've all (most) come to agree that their "material transfer" claim is just nonsense, when you compare it to countless tests done on GG4 and even GG3.

Maybe sometimes the push to innovate goes in a bad direction for a short period, before it comes back to where it was before. We've definitely seen it happen in other industries. And of course with phones all time :) The good part is that all this uproar will only make GG6 that much better. No doubt Corning has scratches on their collective minds ;)

Mkj3322

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
My GG1 Galaxy s never scratched and was really tough without a case. The S 3's was pretty weak and prone to cracking but scratch resistance was good. My moto x with GG3 has proven to be good as well. I feel like it's a hit or miss with them.

Posted via the Android Central App

klee0032

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

What questions about samsung pay did you have. Yeah it should work, it works just fine on the S7 Edge. It also works on the S2 if you use Samsung Pay beta. I got a sub from there since I got in on that dead where you get 20.00 digital gift card when you make your first purchase using it. I got a bottle of pepsi and a bag of chips. which amounted to 3 something dollars. and got credited 20.00 (sweet deal).

How well does it work with a case is what I was wondering.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

The back of the phone is not Gorilla Glass 5, therefore it will scratch easier than the front screen. Same goes for the S7/E, the S6, and the Note 5. Trust me, I know how you feel. I have a tiny, very very tiny scratch at the bottom corner of the back of my S7E and I felt my heart drop. But, I have a case on it so I don't have to constantly be looking at it to be reminded of the scratch lol I couldn't really use my phone without a case regardless because I know how fragile it is, for one, and two, I paid so much money for this phone, I wouldn't want to end up accidentally breaking it either. My sister's Note 7 instantly went in a case as soon as I opened the box. Sorry yours scratched so soon after you got it - I know the feeling. And for mine, I think it happened when the AT&T rep was installing a (crappy) screen protector. At least that's the only time I've noticed it because I had just got the phone and I was pretty anal in keeping it clean of fingerprints, etc, so after she put the screen protector on, I was wiping down the phone when I noticed the tiny scratch. At the end of the day, scratches are going to happen - and more so to the back of the device since they don't put GG5 on the back like they do for the front.
That's wrong according to Samsung and all reviewers I've seen review it. Same on both front and back

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Iva is correct and wow..looking back on what I said, never post while tired lol. Anyway it should work just fine, its along the same lines of using the wireless charging ability with a case I think. Just do not expect something like an Otterbox to work or something metal. I should actually go try it with a case, I have a thin TPU case that I sometimes keep my phone in.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Been using mine without a case but with a dbrand skin on the back and still no scratches anywhere. I haven't had it near anything that could scratch it either as I don't want to take a chance but it's been sat on in my pocket several times and no issues.

B Posey

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I have two big scratches on the front of my Note7. I still have my S7 edge and after 6 months, there is not a single scratch on it. This GG5 is more prone to scratches than all of Samsung's previous phones. I'm about to send my phone back to T-Mobile under "buyers remorse". I really like this phone but Sammy and Corning has dropped the ball with this bogus GG5!

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
these curved screen phones look brilliant, but it sucks that we cant install tempered glass screen protectors.

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I got a spigen case for it but as for a screen protector ha it wont stick to the edges and I tried so many different ones so I hope this screen wont scratch!!!! Is anybody else not using a screen protector?