Not a device problem, but maybe a setting or Carrier problem.

glidersgalore

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Alright, my wife and I both got new phones within the month. She has an S7 edge and I the Note 7. About a week before getting the Note I had to use a back up phone, due to my Note Edge meeting a tragic death.
Anyway we are with ATT and between the both of us use an average of 2.5 gigs of data, this is going back over the last 18 months, we have the 5gig shared data plan. Well since the new phones, we have used almost 6 gigs of data. The odd thing is looking at the data usage, it is at odd times. Such as 3am, 6am, 3pm and 6pm. The wifes phone is about the same. We are either sleeping, home or at work. Our phones are always on wifi. We have not downloaded any new apps She came from a G3 and I a note Edge, to the G3, then my Note 7. Just hate having to call and go through multiple phone reps and wasting an hour or more.
Does anyone have any ideas?

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Alright, my wife and I both got new phones within the month. She has an S7 edge and I the Note 7. About a week before getting the Note I had to use a back up phone, due to my Note Edge meeting a tragic death.
Anyway we are with ATT and between the both of us use an average of 2.5 gigs of data, this is going back over the last 18 months, we have the 5gig shared data plan. Well since the new phones, we have used almost 6 gigs of data. The odd thing is looking at the data usage, it is at odd times. Such as 3am, 6am, 3pm and 6pm. The wifes phone is about the same. We are either sleeping, home or at work. Our phones are always on wifi. We have not downloaded any new apps She came from a G3 and I a note Edge, to the G3, then my Note 7. Just hate having to call and go through multiple phone reps and wasting an hour or more.

That's an odd one. Have you checked the backup and restore settings? My Note 7 wanted to immediately start using Samsung cloud, basically mimicking my Google backup which I have set for wifi or mobile data use

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
We both have out wifi set to be on at all times. We also have any updates or uploads set to only on wifi.

Sorry, what I meant was under Settings>WiFi>Advanced, there should be an option to keep wifi on during sleep. If that is off, wifi will get killed and your phone will fall back to the cellular data.

glidersgalore

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, what I meant was under Settings>WiFi>Advanced, there should be an option to keep wifi on during sleep. If that is off, wifi will get killed and your phone will fall back to the cellular data.

Just checked that and the section of Keep WI-Fi on during sleep says always.

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
...The odd thing is looking at the data usage, it is at odd times. Such as 3am, 6am, 3pm and 6pm. The wifes phone is about the same. We are either sleeping, home or at work. Our phones are always on wifi. We have not downloaded any new apps She came from a G3 and I a note Edge, to the G3, then my Note 7. Just hate having to call and go through multiple phone reps and wasting an hour or more...

Last year, I noticed the data usage times that you noticed also. I called AT&T to find out what was going on and was told that these times correspond to when the data is reported back to AT&T and NOT when the data was actually consumed.

glidersgalore

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Last year, I noticed the data usage times that you noticed also. I called AT&T to find out what was going on and was told that these times correspond to when the data is reported back to AT&T and NOT when the data was actually consumed.

I have actually been charge for overage. Just checked online and my last 18 months we averaged 2.45gb, this month alone we are 7gb and that is with out mobile data turned off for the last 2 days. Yet we still are showing mobile data used.
Went to an ATT store and they checked our phones and said the problem appears on their side, to call into CS and ask for tech support, well on 3 rd call and cannot get to the correct people.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk