Is battery a moot point at the end of the day?

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I should add I have an iPhone 6, iPhone 6s Plus, Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Note 7, iPad Mini 3, and MacBook Air, too. I have the same cornucopia of charging paraphernalia for my Apple stuff.

It's a sickness.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
OP, I could've written your post almost verbatim. Everything you said is how I feel and behave. Except I have rapid chargers in both vehicles, work backpack, desk at work, recliner in my man cave, both nightstands, three wireless Samsung chargers, and about five USB battery power banks in various places. I even have a rapid charger in my golf cart.

Yep...I never worry about SOT or brightness level. I paid nearly $900 for this gorgeous device and...dammit...I want to get every bit of enjoyment and performance out of it I can get. Until I get a new device in about 6 months or less, like I usually do.

"Think you have enough batteries there, Butch"

LOL as Robert Redford would have said to Butch Cassidy.......

I too have power sources almost everywhere !!!! Know the feeling !!!!!

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
You can get it replaced at a Samsung walk in center or mail it in to Samsung. You are looking at somewhere between $50 to $75, and IIRC, all batteries were closer to $50, maybe even $45.

Ok that's not to bad, I read around 200 quid somewhere because it couldn't be replaced without breaking the screen as well due to it being curved

canonuevo

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Very helpful. I noticed u disabled Knox. What functions do u lose when that is turned off?
Hey. I'm not sure what functions you lose, but I know it's a service that allows business and personal data to coexists on the same handset. Maybe someone else expand on this, but for what I use my phone for it doesn't matter if it's on or off for me.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
For Android Nougat, they have updated Doze and the standby should be even better. Now we'll have to see if Samsung carries this forward to Galaxy devices, and how much improvement that yields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBPQZEU_ofg

One thing Google made clear when announced Doze on Marshmallow is that no OEM can touch it, it must stay as Google designed it and implemented, if the OEM wants to add more stuff for Power Saving like Samsung does, it must be a separate feature and function.

So yes, it will have the new Doze just like the rest of phones out there.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
One thing Google made clear when announced Doze on Marshmallow is that no OEM can touch it, it must stay as Google designed it and implemented, if the OEM wants to add more stuff for Power Saving like Samsung does, it must be a separate feature and function.

So yes, it will have the new Doze just like the rest of phones out there.
The problem with Doze though, it is very limited. There isn't much of the day that my phone gets set down. Doze generally only works at night for me when I'm sleeping and don't need it.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The problem with Doze though, it is very limited. There isn't much of the day that my phone gets set down. Doze generally only works at night for me when I'm sleeping and don't need it.

Yes, and that's why the Nougat Doze will be great because it's going to activate as soon as the screen is off, so it MUST improve standby a lot. So, let's see how fast Samsung and Carriers get the Nougat update ready for download.

pavvento

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
On that same picture you shared, click on screen. Then it will say screen on time.
Thabks. I got notified of an AT&T update this morning and it must have cleared the battery memory because it only shows this morning.
58d5f4904fc608b7a20b6c5f9e3cd694.jpg
dce2024645abe67a109e3cb66e7f943d.jpg
3a6a68dde74bd3e4acf46463fc9b2c4b.jpg

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and that's why the Nougat Doze will be great because it's going to activate as soon as the screen is off, so it MUST improve standby a lot. So, let's see how fast Samsung and Carriers get the Nougat update ready for download.
That is still limiting though, my screen doesn't go off much while I'm awake.

I still think they need to do like Greenify, so we can choose apps to stay hibernated and hibernate when closed.

Doze hasn't helped me at all yet and it seems like N won't help me either. 😩

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
That is still limiting though, my screen doesn't go off much while I'm awake.

I still think they need to do like Greenify, so we can choose apps to stay hibernated and hibernate when closed.

Doze hasn't helped me at all yet and it seems like N won't help me either. ������

Well, that's really another story, in your case it will be hard to benefit from Doze, but it seems that you must be considered a Heavy user, but for the rest of normal or below normal users Doze can be a huge difference.

Take a look at a screenshot of a Power management for Apps feature that my Axon 7 has, I really don't know if this is just a ZTE thing or if other OEMs or even Vanilla Android has it, at least HTC 10 has something similar but not the same, this one seems to do an even better job as I'm having simply incredible battery life with my Axon 7, my S7 edge had given me the best battery life ever, but since I got 2 weeks ago the Axon 7, it has even surpassed it and with a 3250 mAh battery , maybe Samsung can do something like this and get rid of the one they are using since the Galaxy S6.

Screenshot_2016-08-31-09-55-22.jpg

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung battery optimization helps some, but I'm still using Greenify, ShutApp and Doze, but there are apps that still get past those.

I expected Google to eventually get down to app level to control Doze, I was just hoping they would do it by N.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I had worried about it for some time. My experience on the Note 5 was less than stellar. My iPhone 6+ gave me 12-14 hours consistently and was the biggest factor I went to it.

Yes iOS has good apps. Things run smooth etc. So when I moved to it I missed the spen a lot and the overall ability to customize the phone the way I want it.

To me iPhone is for those who just don't want to mess with things. Who don't really care too much about "tech" overall but just want something out of the box they don't need to mess with. My kids. My wife. The professional that doesn't care about all the bells and whistles.

I'm not any of those. I love tech. I'm an addict.

But battery meant 90% to me in my decision to leave to iPhone.

Now I cannot get 12-14 hours on one charge. But in the end do I really "need" to go all day every day on 1 charge? I added it all up and the answer I have concluded is NOPE.

I think SOT and ability to go without charging in a say is psychological. It really is. Why?

Fast charge. Because at the end of the day I am near a charger 90% of my time when working. When traveling I'm in my car. Got my fast charging car charger.

In a meeting? Fast charging wall charger.

At home? Yeah. Obviously.

This past week with this device I have been on the go. I was flying to Chicago. A 2.5 hour flight for me. When I landed I had my car charger with me for the rental car. Didn't even need it until around 430pm and I was still at 30% but I like my phones at 50% or more. Call me crazy but it's a psychological thing to see it go under 50%.

But with rapid charge I took it from 30% to 80% on my drive to hotel in 35 minutes and didn't even think twice when I went out for dinner with colleagues.

So in essence I was worried about nothing. Who cares if I have to put it on a charge for 20-30 minutes when I can get another 40-50% charge on it or in reality another 5-6 hours of life in that short period of time.

Battery and SOT is really psychological. To me anyway. I suspect that if people started thinking this way vs worried about what it can get on one charge every day it wouldn't be as big a deal as everyone says AND you can actually ENJOY using that $850 pocket computer.

And I bought a charging brick from Samsung so if I am not near a wall charger or cannot top off (after long day and hurrying to airport and I forget to charge up) I have that peace of mind. Haven't even used it. Ever. Yet.

I've always wondered why people wish to have all day battery on a device you're actually using. The battery is going to discharge. And the comparison to phones in yesteryear just don't apply because we weren't using the same way we do today. Personally, if my phone is idle and I lose a tremendous amount of battery life, I would have an issue with this. If I'm constantly using my phone and expect the battery to last all day, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If I use, I expect to charge it at some point so I can continue using it. LOL. To each their own I guess. In order for an individual to have all day battery life while using their phone ALL day, the trade off in size and price would be interesting. This is the only way that will happen. I still think the replaceable or swappable battery is the best option when the desire is to keep rolling all day with no interruption.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I've always wondered why people wish to have all day battery on a device you're actually using. The battery is going to discharge. And the comparison to phones in yesteryear just don't apply because we weren't using the same way we do today. Personally, if my phone is idle and I lose a tremendous amount of battery life, I would have an issue with this. If I'm constantly using my phone and expect the battery to last all day, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If I use, I expect to charge it at some point so I can continue using it. LOL. To each their own I guess. In order for an individual to have all day battery life while using their phone ALL day, the trade off in size and price would be interesting. This is the only way that will happen. I still think the replaceable or swappable battery is the best option when the desire is to keep rolling all day with no interruption.

I think it is more people comparing to current phones...ie, the iPhone 6s/plus..etc. That is where my head has been. I have found that the iPhone has better battery life than the N7, but I still get all day battery from N7 based on my use patterns.

Honestly what drives me the craziest is these darn posts on this forum where many are stating 5+ hours of SOT. I have not gotten over 3...so I am trying to figure out what I am doing differently, all the while knowing that I have no problem :)

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
At the end of the day, I think battery life means a lot. I guess I don't every want to worry about how I use my phone, how long I use my phone, what features I should limit myself in order to conserve my battery, worry about ccarrying chargers, worry about finding electricity if I am hiking, making sure I keep an eye on the power left, etc. Therefore, I have stuck with my N3 with my Anker 6400 mah battery. I use all of my phone features and never have run out of power by the end of the day, no matter how I use my phone. Missing out on the great features of the N7 isn't worth the battery anxiety I might have.

I love your response here. You looked at what matters most to you and stuck with what works for you. I know as a phone fiend I am making certain trade offs each time I get a new phone and I am fine with that. I also don't fret over battery as much as others do if I am actually using the device. When I know I'm going to be out and away from an outlet, I slap on a battery case and keep it moving.

smk5867

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
This is such a great topic, as it's been on my mind since receiving the N7 on launch day. I've been so conditioned by years of iPhone use to having a battery that easily gets through the day, and while the N7 can basically do the same it's reading this post that's made me realize how unimportant it has become. I too have fast charging at home, fast wireless charge cradle at work, fast charge in the car, spare fast charging cable/brick in my backpack. I'm never anywhere I can't grab 20-30 minutes of charge, and with fast charging 20-30 minutes is totally significant. I have to say, Kudos to Sammy.... Instead of trying to stuff a 6000mah battery into a phone and making it bigger, they decided to include a respectable 3500 but give it the charging capability to go with it. Loving my N7!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699