The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: What happens if the Note 7 is recalled?

If they recall the phones we will receive a New phone or have to send ours in for repair?
I'm not into repair so that option would not make me a happy camper.

I purchased a New phone not a refurbished nightmare. :-\
We don't know how they will handle it. We just have to wait for Samsung. It may not even affect US models or all models of any phones.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batterie

But it makes it much easier for sending a replacement... Sending a battery vs sending an entire phone... And then they have to deal with taking the old phone back, which now cannot be sold as new.

Of course the downside is people can get generics which might be more prone to failure, but still gives Samsung some bad press.

They may send new battery and up to us to take it to be put in.
At this point nobody knows.
But if phone catching on fire. Then a different thing all together.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

If they recall the phones we will receive a New phone or have to send ours in for repair?
I'm not into repair so that option would not make me a happy camper.

I purchased a New phone not a refurbished nightmare. :-\

It is all just unknown right now. We are in a wait and see. Everything here is just speculation at this point.

That said, what has been said points more to new and less to fix/refurb.

Also, at this point it is hard to imagine a refurb that would not be part of the recall.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batterie

They may send new battery and up to us to take it to be put in.
At this point nobody knows.
But if phone getting on fire. Then a different thing all together.

I highly doubt that. That is way harder to do on the consumer than us sending the phone and getting a replacement.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

It is all just unknown right now. We are in a wait and see. Everything here is just speculation at this point.

Also, at this point it is hard to imagine a refurb that would not be part of the recall.

I hope so and hopefully Samsung lets us keep our current Note 7s until one is shipped to us. Especially for those who only have one phone. I'd hate to have to use my S7 and small screen. I might just take the refund option and buy an Iphone 6s Plus or 7 Plus then.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

I had read that it's not the US Variant that is having the issue. Maybe I am wrong on that

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site

I would say new as well....it's too early in the phone cycle for them to even have enough refurbs to send out to everyone and everyone didn't pay 900 to get a refurbished phone or send it in and be phone less ...If they do a wide scale recall this is gonna cost them big time

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

I had read that it's not the US Variant that is having the issue. Maybe I am wrong on that

That is the current thinking but they're looking into all of them. Personally I think it will just be the Korean ones recalled.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

I hope so and hopefully Samsung lets us keep our current Note 7s until one is shipped to us. Especially for those who only have one phone. I'd hate to have to use my S7 and small screen. I might just take the refund option and buy an Iphone 6s Plus or 7 Plus then.

I am going to say this and probably get a lot of heat for it. BUT if they make people return these phones and offer a refund, I am going to probably just use my iPhone 6s+ and get the 7s+. Not because I don't like the phone but because ARE YOU SERIOUS Samsung? You didn't test for this at all? I mean, come on now.

That all said I cannot believe they will recall every single phone...but if they did, that's a total chaotic nightmare!!

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
re: Galaxy Note7 shipments delayed for "quality testing"

I have a vzw N7 made in Korea. If mine gets recalled, and they plan to open it up to swap the battery, I will be expecting a new device, or a full refund.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

That is the current thinking but they're looking into all of them. Personally I think it will just be the Korean ones recalled.
Korean ones are shipped all over the world. The make the phones in Korea, Vietnam and China.

We know nothing yet, Samsung has said they will be letting everyone know soon.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is there a chance that my Note 7 will decide to randomly blow up?

I turn fast charge off. Non replaceable battery, so minimizing the risk of impacting battery capacitance over time. Heat does not do a battery good. During use or charge. I use my experience working at Exide Battery in quality and production as reference for this decision.
How do I turn fast charger off?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

If it is found that my battery is defective I would expect a brand new phone as these phones are too expensive for a refurbished replacement. That said, my phone is awesome and most likely just fine.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is there a chance that my Note 7 will decide to randomly blow up?

If you are at all worried... Throw everything that has a battery away (responsibly of course) and don't even consider a Tesla!

Last edited:

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Plenty of phones have been manufactured with sealed batteries where there have been no issues.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Sounds to me this is not a battery issue per se but the types of cheap chargers that are being used.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If the batteries are in fact exploding in the phones, sending in the battery alone isn't going to fix the phone, you will still need the phone fixed.
The topic is about removable batteries... If Samsung had a removable battery in the note 7 then it would have been an easier fix. Obviously since it is not removable then they would probably have to do an exchange of some sort

This incident doesn't make sealed batteries a liability. Even if it was removable, it the battery is defective it would still be an issue.

My response is also addressed to your post which said that even if removable, it would still be an issue... Which is true... But a much easier one to remedy if Samsung had chosen to do a removable battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty