Always on Display has gone from beautiful to ugly with green battery icon

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Isn't it enough that the battery icon at the top of the phone is green now? Why the always-on display too? It's downright ugly, especially if you colored your AOD as the green clashes.

Don't look ugly to me.

Of course I don't let things like that bother me either.
As long as my phone operates good. That is my main concern.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
People just need to understand that this is necessary. It's a tiny icon and if that really bothers you you need to reevaluate your priorities because this is a safety features to let others know you have a safe phone. I'd rather have a tiny green icon in place of a potentially explosive phone. First world problems at its best.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
First World Problems... :D

I mean, it might be one, but let's be honest. When you pay a lot of money for a high end device, you would want everything to be to your liking. If I paid $850 for this, I think I should have the right to be bothered with the aesthetics of a green icon. The only way to deal is to wait for that update and keep your Note, keep your Note and deal with it or just get another phone.

It's kind of like getting a computer that is said to have an optional touchscreen but after getting it, you find out that the touchscreen is actually not optional, it;s required.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The problem there is that someone with a defective phone would only have to not accept the update and pass their phone off as one that is safe.

And yet no one was able to stop the update that was pushed to the new ones, because it came in the middle of the night. In fact, many said they slept in and were late to work because they woke up and their phone needed to have them press "ok" so it could complete the upgrade. They obviously can push these updates in ways that very very few are able to deny it.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Can't please everybody. To each their own. Got annoyed at the green icon at first also but am appreciating it now.

I'm adjusting as well. I don't mind it as much as I did at first. But I can completely understand if someone else doesn't love it. It definitely looks out of place if you pay it much attention.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I mean, it might be one, but let's be honest. When you pay a lot of money for a high end device, you would want everything to be to your liking. If I paid $850 for this, I think I should have the right to be bothered with the aesthetics of a green icon. The only way to deal is to wait for that update and keep your Note, keep your Note and deal with it or just get another phone.

It's kind of like getting a computer that is said to have an optional touchscreen but after getting it, you find out that the touchscreen is actually not optional, it;s required.

LOL...everything to your liking, on an Android phone? Have you been to these forums before?

I wish that were the case...

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Nobody reads my replies on this forum. I read this morning that the battery icon is supposed to change on a upcoming update. Green battery outlined in white, with white level indicators inside battery.
I have that update - AT&T sent it out early in the week. It only affects the task bar at the top of the screen, not the AOD. It's actually pretty detailed - white outline, the empty battery portion is like a light celery green, the full portion is a darker kelly green and the fills have white outlines as well. But only in the task bar icon... AOD is solid kelly green with kelly green outline (empty portion is your background)!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Always on Display has gone from beautiful to hideous with green battery icon

I got used to it...I wish they have the option to make it white or green though

Todd Anthony1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

It's like getting a computer and the battery icon on the bottom right is green. It's not as major as having to use a touch pad. lol

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
It's like getting a computer and the battery icon on the bottom right is green. It's not as major as having to use a touch pad. lol
Fair point. Not the best analogy lol.

LOL...everything to your liking, on an Android phone? Have you been to these forums before?

I wish that were the case...

I wouldn't have 600+ posts if I didn't have an Android phone ever. LOL.

You're right though to a point. I mean the components that you see all the time, like the lock screen, home screens, etc. Some people do root to achieve this, though. I don't think my statement is too crazy. It is possible.

I am pleased with my Android phone currently (not a Note, I just came because this is trending). It generally has most things to my liking. The only things that might occasionally annoy me, I can change without much work. The only thing I can't change is the size, because I wish it was smaller.

Todd Anthony1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Fair point. Not the best analogy lol.

I wouldn't have 600+ posts if I didn't have an Android phone ever. LOL.

You're right though to a point. I mean the components that you see all the time, like the lock screen, home screens, etc. Some people do root to achieve this, though. I don't think my statement is too crazy. It is possible.

I am pleased with my Android phone currently (not a Note, I just came because this is trending). It generally has most things to my liking. The only things that might occasionally annoy me, I can change without much work. The only thing I can't change is the size, because I wish it was smaller.

I get it though. I complained about the box that ATT provided for the N7. Got a big credit from ATT too after I hammered a few of their reps about it.. lol

mrc13

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Yeah the green icon doesn't bother me but I can see how it would be annoying. Maybe someday after everything blows over they'll let you turn it back white.. as long as there continues to be other ways to know if the phone is a fixed one or not.

The average consumer is not going to know that a green battery icon indicates a safe phone anyway.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The average consumer is not going to know that a green battery icon indicates a safe phone anyway.

he's right.jpg

That icon will really only mean something to someone looking for it. I got a Note 7 for my wife and finally got it replaced. I held it up when I was getting it set up and asked her "Do you notice anything different about the status bar?"

First response:

"What is a status bar?"

Then:

"What am I supposed to look for?"

I pointed out the green battery icon and she shrugged and said "I didn't know it was supposed to be white in the first place. Fine"

krilll

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Always on Display has gone from beautiful to hideous with green battery icon

Green is good for me.

Last edited:

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I cannot believe this thread is still going .. :)
9e43c04d6b50e4c9452cf926066cc6e2.gif

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ugo