10-06-2016 04:42 AM
105 12345
tools
    Am I the only one who think that this new Pixel phones are fugly with an unbelievably huge bezels and uninspiring back design (well, really, design in general) and way overpriced?

I mean, I respect everyone's opinion and obviously this is pure opinions of my part, but man, I was waiting for Google to announce this so I could decide if I was going to buy it to accompany my Axon 7 (daily driver for the past month and really a Flagship device for just $400) and my S7 edge, but since I began seeing leaked images this weekend, I immediately discarded it and looked for a good deal on Swappa for a brand new sealed Blue Note 7 and I'm waiting for this Thursday to arrive.
    Pretty much what I said in the OP.
    Completely agree!
    10-04-2016 07:39 PM
    They look like twins

Attachment 241444
    This was an inspired design in like 2007.

Hey Apple, and now Google: it's 2016.

Can't you do better than this?
    10-04-2016 07:45 PM
    Think we watched two different rollouts. What do you think that their goal today was?
    Well it was an announcement of their new phone; said phone just happens to be very boring given the competition.

It's as if they started developing these phones in 2013 and didn't bother upgrading their requirements to tie in with what the market would expect in 2016
    10-04-2016 07:54 PM
    I wouldn't compare it to a Note 7 and not sure why people are except maybe people are thinking it's Googles best vs the worlds best.

But I will say that except with the updated specs of sd821 and camera which I find modest updates (not an 830 and the camera has no OIS) or 2017 level updates (the S8 is rumored to have the sd830)... I don't really see anything special in the hardware that would justify the premium price... they could have put the whole software in a OnePlus3 or Axon 7 and sell it fo $400. imo.

Think we watched two different rollouts. What do you think that their goal today was?
    jamesrick80 likes this.
    10-04-2016 08:54 PM
    Pixel looks like a Android iPhone.....bland phone and no hardware features....eh...I would pick a note 7 any day if they they came out the same time
    10-04-2016 09:13 PM
    1 point higher....who would notice lol and it doesn't have ois.....
    DXO also said that the pixels software only stabilization was one of the best they've tested. And the lack of OIS on stills didn't seem to impact the score and quality at all.
    10-04-2016 09:26 PM
    DXO also said that the pixels software only stabilization was one of the best they've tested. And the lack of OIS on stills didn't seem to impact the score and quality at all.
    And DXO was probably given some type of ad-supported incentive by google to increase their score...we will see when real camera test reviews show up besides the dxo one...once again no one will notice a difference especially by one point plus ois is necessary in certain camera situations.....they also have not shown it's true low light test results
    10-04-2016 10:12 PM
    I want to like my N7 but I am experiencing poor battery performance/battery drain. Thought maybe the Pixel would have a good battery life as well but from what I ready, only 7 hours??

Will continue to use my N7 for the 14 days return policy and will decide afterwards. Might just go back to my trusty iphone 6s plus..

You either have a bad device or something wrong with app or installation. Oculus as example is causing problems (if that is on yours), but an update fixes it. Web view also has causes some problems.

Battery life for me and my medium to heavy use is 4.5 SOT in QHD and over 5.5 SOT in FHD. I leave mine in FHD since see no difference (still looks great) and runs apps cooler including Maps. I only change to QHD for Gear VR.
    10-04-2016 10:21 PM
    And DXO was probably given some type of ad-supported incentive by google to increase their score...we will see when real camera test reviews show up besides the dxo one...once again no one will notice a difference especially by one point plus ois is necessary in certain camera situations.....they also have not shown it's true low light test results
    Please provide empirical evidence for this wildly bat crap crazy theory that has been making the rounds today.
    Jerry Hildenbrand and libra89 like this.
    10-04-2016 11:03 PM
    I wouldn't compare it to a Note 7 and not sure why people are except maybe people are thinking it's Googles best vs the worlds best.
    People here are comparing to the Note 7 because it is a Note 7 forum. People here, mostly, own or are thinking about buying one. The comparison is relevant for that reason. I was interested in the XL today because I can still return my Note if I was interested. In the end, I am not interested.
    Aquila likes this.
    10-04-2016 11:04 PM
    Great response
    10-04-2016 11:20 PM
    Please provide empirical evidence for this wildly bat crap crazy theory that has been making the rounds today.

This is the Note 7 forum. No need for evidence of anything in here.
    donm527, Aquila and libra89 like this.
    10-04-2016 11:29 PM
    But I will say that except with the updated specs of sd821 and camera which I find modest updates
    Thanks to Qualcomm, the 820 > 821 upgrade path is huge. They will support a new version of Open GL and enhanced Vulkan on the 821, but not the 820 which is clearly capable. This matters for an OS that was designed for the specific use of the newer versions of both. Samsung will probably offer extended support for the Exynos processor, but if history is any indicator, Qualcomm will not and we'll see the 820 left behind soon. Just like the Nexus 5, or the Xperia Z3 was with Android 7 even though they could run the beta, or like they tried to do with the Nexus 7 two years ago.

Blame $$ and a greedy company.
    donm527 likes this.
    10-04-2016 11:38 PM
    I want to like my N7 but I am experiencing poor battery performance/battery drain. Thought maybe the Pixel would have a good battery life as well but from what I ready, only 7 hours??

Will continue to use my N7 for the 14 days return policy and will decide afterwards. Might just go back to my trusty iphone 6s plus..
    Pretty sure the pixel has better than a 7 hr battery life. The feature that everyone is talking about is that a 15 minute fast charge will add 7 hrs of battery life on the pixel.
    10-05-2016 12:07 AM
    Note 7 feature set and aesthetics make it no contest for me over the Pixel.
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    10-05-2016 12:26 AM
    Pretty sure the pixel has better than a 7 hr battery life. The feature that everyone is talking about is that a 15 minute fast charge will add 7 hrs of battery life on the pixel.
    What does 7 hrs of battery life means anyway? 7 hrs of standby, 1 hr SOT + 6 hrs standby... or?
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    10-05-2016 01:44 AM
    What does 7 hrs of battery life means anyway? 7 hrs of standby, 1 hr SOT + 6 hrs standby... or?
    Exactly.

Side effect of living in a society with a stupid populace. Google obviously can't say it charges from 10% to 50% in 15 minutes so they have to give us the specifications in terms people will understand.

7 hours of battery life in 15 minutes doesn't mean jack to me. I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.
    10-05-2016 04:42 AM
    Re: battery... I think the both phones will do pretty well in that department... Google wouldn't come out and mention it specifically unless there was something to it.

They didn't go into a lot of detail on the phone, other than some standout features. They boasted about the camera and the first review out of the box taps it as the best phone camera ever tested. Based on that, I'm expecting the XL's power usage to at least meet what the Note 7 can do.
    10-05-2016 05:55 AM
    Thanks to Qualcomm, the 820 > 821 upgrade path is huge. They will support a new version of Open GL and enhanced Vulkan on the 821, but not the 820 which is clearly capable. This matters for an OS that was designed for the specific use of the newer versions of both. Samsung will probably offer extended support for the Exynos processor, but if history is any indicator, Qualcomm will not and we'll see the 820 left behind soon. Just like the Nexus 5, or the Xperia Z3 was with Android 7 even though they could run the beta, or like they tried to do with the Nexus 7 two years ago.

Blame $$ and a greedy company.
    True, but I think everything will boil down to adoption. This s821 device sure as hell isn't going to see mass adoption, even by "Nexus" standards...not at the current price point and purchasing options (unlocked or from Verizon). Not that anyone has too too much to worry about API wise . It's not like there are any mobile games pushing the bounds of graphics capability or were all clawing to to get 30 or 60fps or some absurd arbitrary resolution (a la the PC master race/console war). Most mobile games are rendered and upscaled from 720p, the ones that do manage native resolution perform terribly anyway (Real Racing, I'm looking at you here) or offer IQ that benefits from features were years away from in mobile...not iterative generation devices...
    10-05-2016 06:31 AM
    So far, I've not heard anything about the Pixels that is really impressive. Perhaps I am getting overload from all the new phones,that seem to have similar specs ?
    10-05-2016 06:54 AM
    So far, I've not heard anything about the Pixels that is really impressive. Perhaps I am getting overload from all the new phones,that seem to have similar specs ?
    It'll probably be a long time, if ever, before we see another revolutionary jump.
    Almeuit likes this.
    10-05-2016 07:46 AM
    I have owned every Nexus in the past.. when many mfg's were competing for market share with unique features and one-upping each other on specs each cycle.. but that game is over now, and Samsung smashed the competition. Not even Apple can compete anymore.

No more HTC.. no more Nexus.. no more LG.. no more slings, no more weapons, no more systems, NO MORE.. SUPER POWERS

It's all Samsung for me.
    Funny you say that. This Note 7 of mine is the 9th or 10th Android phone for me going back to the Droid from Motorola. For a while there HTC made some really nice phones and I at the time thought they were #2 in design innovation to Apple.....then Samsung and their Note series arrived. That and also the amoled screen technology they developed.

I have been a Galaxy Note user since the Note 3, I am so comfortable with the size, that when I see other non phablets I cannot picture myself using something that small.

SAMSUNG did a pretty good job with the recall situation. I know its been a tough couple of months for he company but judging at the number of people rushing to the Carrier stores the other weekend when the 1st replacements arrived....... USA TODAY's bogus article of only 18% of Note 7 users are going to stay with the Note 7 - the article got blown up (And the media wonder why we don't trust/like them anymore)

I hope HTC can get it going again and make something marketable. The more viable manufacturer's the better the competition to drive innovation.
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    10-05-2016 08:01 AM
    People here are comparing to the Note 7 because it is a Note 7 forum. People here, mostly, own or are thinking about buying one. The comparison is relevant for that reason. I was interested in the XL today because I can still return my Note if I was interested. In the end, I am not interested.
    Exactly.

Back in the middle of the N7 drama, I was thinking that the Pixels would be the perfect thing to get, once I got my money back from the old N7.

With the advent of the specifics of the new Pixels, there's no competition. Very happy to be sticking with my new N7.

BTW, I also took a very close look at the V20, as I thought I needed some device to move to if the Pixels didnt' come to VZW. I've owned LG and really like them. My G2 was an underrated phone when it came out, and the subsequent "G" series has been quite nice. But again, the N7 just trounces the competition IMO.
    10-05-2016 08:26 AM
    The LG G2 really rocked! Sleeper phone of the year. People were on the fence with the power button in the back but look at many phones now lol. And for me one of the best battery I ever owned. G3 was ok and didn't try G4 or G5. The V20 brings back some excitement for me since G2 but just too big for me.

That said, I wouldn't say game over so quick and Samsung won. I think phones like OnePlus3 and ZTE there are a lot of quality phones out there that can compete and showing it for hundreds less. I think it makes it hard to justify the high prices they are trying to push and also phones like Pixel the price seems just too high. Also I wouldn't discount companies like Motorola. They are coming into their own "brand" look and feel.

BTW, I also took a very close look at the V20, as I thought I needed some device to move to if the Pixels didnt' come to VZW. I've owned LG and really like them. My G2 was an underrated phone when it came out, and the subsequent "G" series has been quite nice. But again, the N7 just trounces the competition IMO.
    10-05-2016 08:38 AM
    Think it's worth pointing out that for 2016, Samsung, Moto, Apple, Google all went to the same pricing model for their flagships. And all four of those phones compete against each other with various exclusive features that can't be had on any of the others.
    10-05-2016 08:41 AM
105 12345