Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

doodleholic

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: How many are switching from N7 to Iphone 7 Plus?

Not me. The iPhone 7 is underwhelming to me, especially compared to my Note 7. Not to mention the removal of the headphone jack is a complete deal breaker to me (Yes, yes, there's an adapter. An inconvenient adapter.).

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site

I'm now on an iPhone 7 Plus, but that is because I traded my iPhone 6s Plus in for the Note 7, which is now in ATT/Samsung hands. Otherwise, I would have just re-lit the 6s Plus and wait to see what the Note 8 brings. My guess is they'll rename the line S8 Pro or maybe even S8n and clearly make it the top end of the S8 line.

As for the rest of the question: I REALLY MISS the AMOLED screen; S-Pen; wireless charging; great camera; and size (bigger screen in a smaller one-handed form factor). On the plus size (and yes, the 7 is a PLUS size device) the dual cameras work great (even outdoor digital zoom using both lenses) and runs smooth as butter FOREVER (Sunday, off charger at 6:00am, back on at 10:00 with 42% left).

I don't see keeping the iP7+ for two years - if Samsung can gets its act together, I will be giving the Note 8 a try, or move on to the iP8 plus. Either way, I hope the OEM's realize they DON'T need to keep making these things thinner and more densely compacted - we all put cases on htem, so let them be a little more full figured for a safer, and more battery friendly, form factor.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Trade in Note 7 for Galaxy S8?

I checked out a real V20 today at AT&T store, and man I am really impressed. It was very snappy and fast. Super responsive. Even with a single speaker it gets very loud. Clarity of the screen is fine for anyones needs. It;s definitely the V20 or the IP7+ for me. Leaning more towards the V20. I really need to know how the battery life is on it before I decide.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Trade in Note 7 for Galaxy S8?

Yes, I know that reads weird, but I really like the upgraded UI for the Note 7, and I have all these USB-C accessories that I can't return.
Speaking with T-Mobile, I asked how long I have to return my Note, and the operator said that at this time, there is no deadline, but to keep an eye out for one.
Seeing that we are roughly 4 months away from the S8 being released, do you guys think it's feasible to hold out until the S8 comes out before trading in?

I don't think anyone from the Carrier Police will come snatch your phone, but there's a possibility that they could be deactivated at some point. That, plus a good chance that there will be zero support from Samsung or the carriers if they do a full on recall. I honestly don't see this phone coming back to the states at all. It's been too much of a hassle, and the carriers have already lost quite a bit in loaner phones and other exchange transactions to want to jump back into it IMHO.

If you don't see anything in the TMO current inventory that interests you, I'd find something cheap and unlocked to hold you over until the 8 comes out. I don't see this phone being a viable daily use device until March.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I was going to but bluetooth sucks esp if using iwatch and streaming music to car or headphones. Complaints of crackling sounds. Also well known problem with vzw reception of data. Hand off between towers is screwed up. I also hate the new home button. Don't get the point of it. They're saving the good stuff for the 8. I also don't like a phone bigger than Note with screen the size of s7e. Same issue with Pixel.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

I checked out a real V20 today at AT&T store, and man I am really impressed. It was very snappy and fast. Super responsive. Even with a single speaker it gets very loud. Clarity of the screen is fine for anyones needs. It;s definitely the V20 or the IP7+ for me. Leaning more towards the V20. I really need to know how the battery life is on it before I decide. The V20 is definitely a worthy phone like the Note 7 was. Make sure you all look at it. The Pixel XL IMHO isn't worth the money. The LG has more stuff over it.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

I just wished they'd go back to replaceable Li Mh batteries. Yes, they get memory effect over time, but replacements were dirt cheap and they didn't explode.

Harry Dunn

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I'd maybe go back to an iPhone but the size is what gets me now... I used to have a iPhone 6 then got the note 7 so I got used to a bigger device but the 7+ is massive an the regular iPhone 7 seems to small now

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site

The iphone 7+ being unavailable anywhere is going to be a problem for someone looking to switch on an impulse.

VDubb22

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

I am moving to the iPhone 7 Plus, but will reconsider the Note 8 a few months after its release.

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
How many are switching from N7 to Iphone 7 Plus?

I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus. I hadn't used iOS since the iPhone 5 and I'm pleasantly surprised by some of the nice changes that Apple has incorporated. The Note 7 is still my phone of choice (still have it) wish this crap wasn't happening but oh well...

Here are my iPhone pain points:

1. Notifications. Oh god it's terrible. I can't quickly swipe to dismiss. When I read a notification in an app it doesn't clear in the Notification Center. They are just more annoying than helpful.

2. Now playing music controls suck. Maybe it's just me but I feel like it doesn't always show up. It could be my using Spotify Connect or my Sonos but I never had these issues with my Note

3. Can't set default applications

4. Multitasking/side by side apps. This feature is available on the iPad and I wish that Apple would include it on the phones.

5. No double press the home button to launch the camera. This one hurts. I'm so used to this having had a Note 5, S7 Edge and the Note 7. Easily one of my favorite things about Samsung phones.

6. Hate the way open apps are displayed. Makes it harder to jump back and forth between open apps. I end up scrolling to quickly and missing things.

7. LastPass support is just not the same.

8. No Samsung pay

9.no pen

10. no wireless charging.

11. Note 7 is the best looking phone ever made.

Here are the things I like:

1. Raise to wake combined with resting your finger on the home button. I unlock my phone with little to no effort. Not having to press a button is awesome.

2. Spotlight search. I don't understand how Google is the king of search but Spotlight on iOS beats Googles in-app and phone search hands down.

3. I like the way iOS does widgets. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I feel like Android developers don't care about widgets anymore. The ones on iOS are better in my opinion.

4. Most of the Google apps I've used are better on the iPhone. They either load faster or have a better interface.

5. I've been told the I sound great on the speaker phone with this phone vs. my Note 7

6. 3D Touch. I don't know why people are calling this a gimmick. I want this for Android. Don't care what you call it. Love hard pressing on my reddit app and getting a list of my favorite subreddits. Or I love pressing on the phone app and getting my favorites.

7. I have found that some third party apps are better on iOS though this isn't always true. Some of my favorite Android apps are missing from iOS.

8. Siri always on. Why Samsung cripples their phones with S-Voice is beyond me. It's a waste. Siri is better than S Voice but not better than OK Google but the fact that I can get to her without touching my phones is awesome.

9. iOS stock keyboard is probably one of the most accurate keyboards imo.

10. Can make calls from my iPad even when my iPhone is off.

11. More apps support Touch ID. So many apps have fingerprint support on iOS than on Android.

Last edited:

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

I considered the 7 plus but looks like it won't be available at TMO until November. Probably will end up returning the note and just going back to my Nexus 6p.

Paravoz

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

I checked out a real V20 today at AT&T store, and man I am really impressed. It was very snappy and fast. Super responsive. Even with a single speaker it gets very loud. Clarity of the screen is fine for anyones needs. It;s definitely the V20 or the IP7+ for me. Leaning more towards the V20. I really need to know how the battery life is on it before I decide.

Based on gsmarena: The V20 got 63hr battery endurance rating vs S7 edge (SD820) 87hr and 98hr for exynos. not sure about IP7+ but IP6+ had 85hr rating.

J4To

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site

I switched and I have to admit, I really like it. It's just so fast and works so... well. No regrets, none.

I do however miss the S-Pen and fast charging. I'll still give Samsung another shot next year.

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

My Wifes iPhone 7 Plus has connection issues and calling issues. Also, we were out on a mountain hike, no cell service. My Note 7 GPS worked great, tracked with MapMyHike app. The iPhone 7 could not locate us. Do some reading here before you do this one:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/iphone

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.