Is anyone here planning on keeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Nope. Turned mine in to BB today and back to my Note 4. Reset the N4 to stock, updated to Marshmallow 6.01, reinstalled my apps and just got a new 6440mah extended battery. The device is fast and did not expect it. Have not used beyond VR for the past year and expected a big let down. Nope, seems just as fast in UI, plus LTE and wifi reception are both better than the Note 7. Especially LTE signal.

Another bonus is I prefer the Note 4 display. Looks great and flat, so no side distortion. Still surprised how folks like the Edge. It has twice the side distortion on the display.
Though half the internal storage space of the Note 7, the 256GB card works fine.

Part of my motivation for now is my flights in the next few weeks. I am betting the N7 gets banned beyond just shutting it off. Steps are also apparently in place to essentially kill as many of the devices in the next few months with a stealth update.

I am on Verizon, so not expecting a same time release for the V20. They have Pixels in their eyes right now.
I was thinking about picking up a good used N4 off of eBay. A few questions.. does the N4 have T-Mobile LTE? I had one last year traded it in for the S7Edge and I don't remember it having it having LTE. How fast and smooth is it compared to the N7? I will miss Samsung Pay. I have a Best Buy gift card and a $10 Samsung Visa card on there. If I get the N4 without Samsung Pay will they still be under my account until I use them? Assuming I get another galaxy phone next year?

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
this phone until the bitter end? I really do not want to give it up. I'm not lying anywhere anytime soo.
Also, I hate to say this but I think the iPhone 7 is the only one that comes close to this flagship. The Pixel is not water resistant. Neither is the V20.

Give it up! You're fighting a LOSING battle. Keep it and you're going to lose. Give it up and you win, or at least, come out stronger.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
what am i going to,loose

Really, you don't know? You keep the phone, you will get cut off from support, updates, you will get the battery throttled back, you will have zero resale value, you will get shut down, if you cause a fire... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.

If you don't see the ramifications, you are on your own!

Adios!

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Really, you don't know? You keep the phone, you will get cut off from support, updates, you will get the battery throttled back, you will have zero resale value, you will get shut down, if you cause a fire... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.

If you don't see the ramifications, you are on your own!

Adios!
Being on my own is the whole point. Deciding to keep the phone as long as I can is my decision.

Honey_184

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping (but not holding my breath) that Verizon will still honor the annual Samsung upgrade device payment plan even though it was removed (again!) When I first ordered my N7, I purchased under that agreement. The only way I'm ok with getting a phone I don't really want (S7 Edge) is if I know for sure I'm not stuck with it for 2 years. If they refuse, (which I fully expect) I'm not returning the N7 until the S8 Edge gets released

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Being on my own is the whole point. Deciding to keep the phone as long as I can is my decision.

Careful though. The South West dude stated his device worked great and then he dropped it before getting on the plane. It then started showing signs of heat (all Android phones do sometimes). He then turned it off and too late to stop the chemical short.

The battery build and assembly process has facilitated a volatile device due to the trying to force a thin device for the specs. Seems a double whammy. Bad battery builds and tight placement in the case. The combination essentially creates the potential of a chemical burn grenade.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
what am i going to,loose

Nobody's losing anything. These doomsday comments are hilarious. The phone is under an official safety recall. I dont see them putting a deadline on it. I can see messages getting more common or an aggravating update, but the opportunity to turn the phone in can't be taken away in the near future. And with all the news that circulates here, we'll see crippling updates or anything similar coming a mile away.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Check my posts in the past, I'm one of the people mocking the hysteria. I coined Jeep Guy, etc. The problem is the potential here is apparently legit and just a drop on a hard surface that shows no apparent damage could be just enough to compromise the insulation between the anode cathode layers in the cell.

Samsung F'd this up on so many levels. Production, QC, reaction time, narrative, containment of suspect product, etc. They are being amicable now to avoid epic class action suits. Is the potential high? Seems not, else we would see a lot more events.

None the less, dropping this device could result in breaching a physical threshold and increasing potential of a chemical short with a device that appeared fine up to that point.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
But if you believe the owner in the southwest airlines incident of what happened... and i believe that it could have happened that a drop could have been the trigger that finally caused the battery to fail... then a person could possibly have a booby trapped phone on their hands and who knows how many drops or how many charges it's going to take before it goes.

That guy was lucky in a way... what if you're driving and using your google maps on phone to navigate and it drops on console or floor and triggers it and burns while driving? just one example... just dropping it and then having to wonder if it will trigger it.

I guess no time limit on the recall... but what about carrier and service contract with the carrier?

Nobody's losing anything. These doomsday comments are hilarious. The phone is under an official safety recall. I dont see them putting a deadline on it. I can see messages getting more common or an aggravating update, but the opportunity to turn the phone in can't be taken away in the near future. And with all the news that circulates here, we'll see crippling updates or anything similar coming a mile away.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Back to topic....

I'm keeping mine as long as i can. Hopefully till the s8 is announced.

It's basically like a free "get out of jail" card. This matters because I'm on an old grandfathered plan that has 2 year pricing on phones, so I only got my note 7 for $350

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
That guy was lucky in a way... what if you're driving and using your google maps on phone to navigate and it drops on console or floor and triggers it and burns while driving? just one example... just dropping it and then having to wonder if it will trigger it.

Well, if someone ends up in a flaming fireball of a vehicle while on the highway and ends up with several third degree burns all over their body and gets in a wreck that injures or kills others...that was his choice. Being on his own and liable for all of that was the point.

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Part of my motivation for now is my flights in the next few weeks. I am betting the N7 gets banned beyond just shutting it off. Steps are also apparently in place to essentially kill as many of the devices in the next few months with a stealth update.

Yeah, it's official. DOT officially banned the Note 7 on all flights. United Airlines sent me an email today, saying the US Department of Transportation has prohibited from carrying Samsung Note 7 devices on board an aircraft or packing them in checked or carry-on baggage, other wise you will be denied boarding. A message also appeared on my phone regarding this matter.

ddymond

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just checked Ebay and there a pages and pages of listings for the Note 7!!!!!! There are even bids. One stooge is asking $5000 so he can get a new phone and have money to buy a ring for his girlfriend. Unreal.

Edit. It was to pay off debt, not to buy a new phone!!!:p

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That was my plan until the absolute flight ban. No harm no foul though:

1. Free 256gb card (works great in Note 4)

2. Note 4 has some positives over the Note 7. Signal reception a biggie.

3. Note 4 is like a new device after resetting and installing Marshmallow

4. Saved $890

That's my spin anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non