Micro SD Capacity

Char98

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I am using a 64GB card and it works fine with my device. I've loaded music, photos and some extra files from apps and games. I haven't encountered any problems.it is a sandisc clsss a micro sd card.

Ninad Pimparkar

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have found that most people at best buy dont know crap about android. Everyone knows about apple stuff and they constantly push that cuz its easier to sell

Do your own research if you dont believe the users here. Amazon has the 64gb memory card on the cheap and there are hundreds of reviews that all proclaim these to work in samsung devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Were you able to access the full 64 MB. Thats an important question. These cards need address lines to use the memory capacity. For example 1kb needs 10 = 2^10 address lines. 1gb needs 30 and 32 gb needs 35. 64 gb will need 36. If Samsung only planned for 35 address lines your 64 gb card will work but due to absence of 36th line half of 64 gb wont be accessible. If u r confident that 64 gb is supported do u mind copying some thing into your card and make sure 32+ gb are usable? Many people including me are going to buy 64 gb due to your post. Can you please let us know?

scobb

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
SD cards are accesed serially, not in parallel like CF cards. Limits for SD card access are almost always due to device /OS limits.

cfw2013

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I keep an e-library of references (papers/books) which I want to store in a microSD card to be used with my new Galaxy Note 8 so that I do not have to bring along papers and books while travelling. I tried to copy my e-library from a portable hard drive to both a 32 Gb and a 64 Gb microSD card. Below were my observations:
- No problem transferring >20 Gb of data to the 32 Gb card and the copied documents were spot checked on the Note 8.
- The 64 Gb microSD card was at first formatted to exFAT, and some (not all) documents were transferred to the formatted card as a trial. Note 8 had to "mount" the microSD card. Although the main file directory and sub-directories on the microSD card were seen on Note 8, the sub-directories were all empty, i.e. the copied documents were gone. When the same microSD card was re-inserted in the laptop, the file names of the documents in the card were replaced by strange symbols.
- The 64 Gb microSD card was then reformatted to FAT32 32kb clusters using a special partitioning/formatting program. Some documents were copied to the card and they could be read on Galaxy Note 8. However, so far I am unable to transfer all >20 Gb of data to the card. I am still trying.

Note my 64Gb microSD card is a Samsung Class 10 card.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried to run the Galaxy Note 8 with a 64gb Micro SD card?

I'm interested in getting one of these to replace an older tablet, but am concerned about the capacity of the SD card.

BB, Android Central and a few others are saying 64gb, but Samsung's website is saying 32gb.

that is good to know. so you arent getting any card errors at all and capacity is good?

the 64gb sandisk extreme microSDXC works great on it...so fast!

PENJO

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,

To share with you. There is some truth to that. Some of the older Samsung Galaxy (Tablet 3 10.1) are rated to handle UP TO 32GB cards. However, as far as this new Note 8, in my homework to make purchase decision, including according to two different reps at Samsung Customer Svc., the Note 8 does and can handle the 64GB card. Also a good Samaritan at BB showed me his Note 8 with the 64GB functioning flawlessly.
Now. A whole different 50 Cents is: Which card is better. That is how I found this site looking for info., to make decision on whether or not buy Sandisk Ultra Vs Extreme Vs Other Brands. I have seen a few reviews where Toshiba, Panasonic, Lexar, and even Kingston are mentioned with preference over Sandisk. In the language of those reviewers the bias line is so thick and evident that you can cover the Grand Canyon. A lot of emotion and boo hoo hoo blah blah blah. Thankfully, some other articles show better objective data that validate itself as well as some the contradictory opinions of readers to those bias articles. These latter include the Sandisk with significant acceptance and close parallel to those TOP PICK. In fact Sandisk is rated as BEST PICK. There is one thing also. Sandisk EXTREME Class 10 or EXTREME PRO are the cards with the better ratings. I found equally important that all those reviews/opinions I have read are in reference to cards speed/quality/reliability but in terms of professional digital camera photography. Once again, Sandisk is rated as the choice for the money when compare to Lexar and a couple others. And BTW, at discrepancy in reading speed of Toshiba 90MB/Sec Vs Sandisk 85MB/Sec. Please give me a break.
Getting back on track. As far as cards for the Note 8. Sandisk Ultra is the best choice according to some articles and even Sandisk website recommendation. So are PNY, Kingston, Samsung itself, equally good. So in the end, I think choices are abundant and it is all up to you individually what works in your particular situation.
Lastly, the reason I mention Sandisk, please I am not in their payroll. I have Costco membership and better price that anywhere else I have seen up to this moment. So I feel comfortable and empowered with info to make a purchase decision.
I found as well that some of these top cards excel in bench testing (So let's call them excel White Lab Rats) . That may not be the case in real life with the variants in processor from one machine to another. I have made a decision to buy considering all aspect I have read. In my situation my choice is a safe one with my plans of use and double safety by ultimately backing up to save in my external HD.
Murphy's Law. When is going down, hey, it is going down. Cards will fail here and there. It is not the end of the world.

PENJO

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
The guy at Best Buy told me that all I can put in mine was a 32 GB. He said that the 64 GB would not be able to be fully accessed because of a hardware limitation on the 16GB Samsung Note 2 8.0. Does that make any sense to you?

CindyinAtl

Sorry Cindy I messed it up a little. I just posted a little blah blah intended to share some info with you in this regard. It is here if interested. I hope it helps you. Best Buy Northeast Philadelphia said 64 is Ok. Best Buy South Philadelphia said same you say above. Samsung said it is Ok and more in agreement with Best Buy Northeast. I also read the 32 Vs 64 when buying my Note 8 and comparing with some older Galaxy available at Costco. Take your pick.

crossy

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
The guy at Best Buy told me that all I can put in mine was a 32 GB. He said that the 64 GB would not be able to be fully accessed because of a hardware limitation on the 16GB Samsung Note 2 8.0. Does that make any sense to you?
CindyinAtl
If the "Note 2 8.0" is what us in the UK called the "Galaxy Note 8.0" - so that's an 8" quad-core tablet with S-Pen, then your dude from Best Buy is talking a lot of manure. Talk a wee digital stroll across to Tips & Tricks: Galaxy Note 8.0 (Samsung US) and you'll see it says:
The Galaxy Note 8.0 has a microSD? expandable memory slot to accommodate extra storage of videos, photos, music, or other media. The maximum size supported is 64GB.
(my underline)
I remember seeing folks (Samsung UK included) saying that the S3 only supported 32GB as well. And that's a lot of hogwash too - mine's been running a 64GB Sandisk card since about a week after the S3 came out and it's got about 56/57GB on it with no issues.

In fact, the only problem I've had was with a 32GB Sandisk card that was in my Note 10.1 (old model). That failed with little warning, but given it was only six month old Sandisk replaced it quickly and easily. Only got a 32GB in the Note 10.1 because I didn't need a bigger card.

Hope this helps.

eddie ed1

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I put in 64GB card. Wow I tthought I got space for my tunes. Problem. Total space 63.29GB , Available 38.66GB. Here's where I can't copy anymore mp3 to the SD card. ndriod ver 4.2.2, Kernal 3.0.72 Cyanogenmod v 10.1-20131101. It seems you really can't use more than the 32GB, the 64GB is a waste of money.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a 64 GB card and I have 59.47 GB space on the SD card and I am currently using about 45 GB of the SD card. I have almost 15 GB free an the SD card.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I put in 64GB card. Wow I tthought I got space for my tunes. Problem. Total space 63.29GB , Available 38.66GB. Here's where I can't copy anymore mp3 to the SD card. ndriod ver 4.2.2, Kernal 3.0.72 Cyanogenmod v 10.1-20131101. It seems you really can't use more than the 32GB, the 64GB is a waste of money.

It would seem you found a bug in cyanogenmod. The note 8.0 has supported 64gb sd cards since launch.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Ganesh Viswanathan

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone tried to run the Galaxy Note 8 with a 64gb Micro SD card?

I'm interested in getting one of these to replace an older tablet, but am concerned about the capacity of the SD card.

BB, Android Central and a few others are saying 64gb, but Samsung's website is saying 32gb.

I'be got a 128gb SD card on my note 4 and it's working just fine. I am not sure if they even made note 8 yet.