Sound file to add

bobng

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a .ogg sound file that I downloaded from another tablet. I want to be able to use this file with my Note 8.0 as a notification for Gmail. I can't find the folder that contains the sound choices for Apps. So my file sits in the download folder. Can someone assist me in getting this file to the correct location so that I can use it? Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There are a couple of possible directories, and the format depends on your version of Android. It could be /storage/sdcard0/Notifications or /storage/sdcard0/media/audio/notifications. If you have Jellybean 4.3, it might be /storage/emulated/0/Notifications or /storage/emulated/0/media/audio/notifications.

If your Note didn't come with a file manager app, install Total Commander or ES File Explorer from Google Play. To find your downloaded tones, go to /storage/sdcard0/Download (or /storage/emulated/0/Download), and copy or move the file to one (or both) of the above folders.

Now open Gmail, tap the menu button, Settings, then your account name. Select "Inbox sound & vibrate," then "Sound," and see if your tone is there. If it isn't, you might have to reboot.

bobng

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I place it in a music folder and it finally appeared in the choices for a notification for Gmail. When I first wrote this it wasn't showing up and I couldn't see where the other sound files were? Possibly as you said I had to reboot?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you add a media file somewhere, the system might take a short while to rescan folders for media files and populate the appropriate menus and libraries.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty