Why are the colors on the screen not right?

Red Mancer

Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
Alright so I'm an artist, and I draw on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (yes I know, outdated). The issue is that whenever I transfer my artwork to another device, the colors are not how I drew them on the screen. However, the colors do look right on pictures I have taken of the screen itself, so it couldn't be a problem with my phone. I have tried experimenting with screen modes, but there was no way to replicate how the colors were supposed to be looking with those. Thank you!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to color calibration every screen is different. I generally don't trust phones for super accurate colors because they aren't aimed at artists.

From what I've looked into from a photography standpoint, I would say try to calibrate based on the viewing medium. If that is going to be online viewing, then I actually wouldn't be too concerned about it. Even if you used a perfectly calibrated screen and had the colors exactly right, your viewers will be seeing it on differently calibrated screens anyway.

If you are printing these out, then I would calibrate based on the specific printer you are using. Make a test print and compare it to the phone (since you are drawing on it), then see if you can adjust the screen settings so your art on the screen looks as close as possible to the printed art. If you change printers, you'll need to re-calibrate because no two printers are the same.