Note 8 Battery Capacity. Setting Up Right Expectations!

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I'll take 3300 too. At first I was disappointed but if you compare the Note 8 to other flagships, iphone 7, LG V series, pixel, G6, etc they're all in that 3000 something mah range. If battery is that important wait for the Mate 10.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe the iPhone 7 already beats most of android phones re battery the new note will be compared to the iPhone 8. Samsung now has a lot of competition so I'm hoping for a larger battery I'm fed up of having all these great features which have to be turned off to last a day.. Plus this is designed for power users.. I think it will be larger as especially the note 7 is out in Korea with a now similar size battery... Hawaii seem to have slim phones with stellar battery and they are adding usufull features all the time but regretably no pen. Hoping for a better battery personly.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I believe the iPhone 7 already beats most of android phones re battery the new note will be compared to the iPhone 8. Samsung now has a lot of competition so I'm hoping for a larger battery I'm fed up of having all these great features which have to be turned off to last a day.. Plus this is designed for power users.. I think it will be larger as especially the note 7 is out in Korea with a now similar size battery... Hawaii seem to have slim phones with stellar battery and they are adding usufull features all the time but regretably no pen. Hoping for a better battery personly.
There are no power users anymore. Samsung figured that out arms 3 years ago.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
How many "power users" (actually tired of that term as much as the word phablet) are actually away from a power source all day long? If you are truly a power user, you are probably near electricity at some point through the course of a normal day. It's not like people are camping all day using their Note. If you work at a desk, have a wireless charger to place it on when you're not using it. My phone buying will never be decided on whether my phone lasts me 18 hours or 30 hours off of the charger because it just doesn't matter anymore in 2017.
IMO

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Last I checked, phones don't advertise battery size in their ads, just software features, camera and screen size mainly. They don't advertise it because it isn't really an issue for the most part. Would it really change anyone's habits if they their phone was capable of an extra 45 minutes of SOT?

Yes?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: I think it will have a 4000 battery

But 3300 won't last the day..? For a power user.

4000 won't last all day for a power user or someone who just spends a lot of time on social media. I can kill a 6300mAh battery in a day with no problem under my typical usage.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
They're not going to design a phone that caters to less than 1% of its customers. It's that simple. There are options out there to charge on the go that will address most people's needs. For the user who uses their phone all day long, there's no real solution. Any incremental increase in battery size will never be enough.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If they can put a 4000mah in the Active, they could have put it in the Note and IMO I think the Note would be the model you want the bigger battery.

If an S8 plus can get you through a normal day and maybe until the morning, a 4000 battery to get you a day and a half solid would be awesome. When I'm traveling and spending the day going from place to place, using maps, the battery is never enough no matter what the size so no such thing as too much battery.

www.sammobile.com/2017/07/24/new-galaxy-s8-active-leaked-images-and-video-reveal-4000mah-battery

Power users never existed as a market. And they likely never will.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If they can put a 4000mah in the Active, they could have put it in the Note and IMO I think the Note would be the model you want the bigger battery.

If an S8 plus can get you through a normal day and maybe until the morning, a 4000 battery to get you a day and a half solid would be awesome. When I'm traveling and spending the day going from place to place, using maps, the battery is never enough no matter what the size so no such thing as too much battery.

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/07/2...aked-images-and-video-reveal-4000mah-battery/
The link doesn't work but if that's referring to one of the active devices, those are thicker devices and do not have an S Pen taking room inside the device.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Also if the expectation is that a 3300 milliamp hour battery is going to last for 24 hours then the math would indicate that a 4000 milliamp hour battery would last 29 hours plus or minus another six or seven hours for the device being in deep doze. Assuming that scene user is getting about 6 hours of screen on time we be looking at an additional 5 hours of the device being in idle with up to an hour of additional screen time.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Funny, I've linked Sammobile sites before and I double checked that it has right URL but AC redirects it... that's new. If you find the article on the site yourself you'll see pics of the Active at all angles and imo don't think the battery made it much thicker. If it is thicker it's more with the thicker case they put in for drop protection.

Also if the expectation is that a 3300 milliamp hour battery is going to last for 24 hours then the math would indicate that a 4000 milliamp hour battery would last 29 hours plus or minus another six or seven hours for the device being in deep doze. Assuming that scene user is getting about 6 hours of screen on time we be looking at an additional 5 hours of the device being in idle with up to an hour of additional screen time.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I've linked Sammobile sites before and I double checked that it has right URL but AC redirects it... that's new. If you find the article on the site yourself you'll see pics of the Active at all angles and imo don't think the battery made it much thicker. If it is thicker it's more with the thicker case they put in for drop protection.

Ok yeah I was going off the person leaking stuff about it here on Saturday saying it was thicker, but more protection makes sense.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Physics is a beeuuuch. The Note 8 apparently has the same tech as the 8+ with 200 less mah. No magic bullets, so battery life will almost certainly be less than the 8+.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Physics is a beeuuuch. The Note 8 apparently has the same tech as the 8+ with 200 less mah. No magic bullets, so battery life will almost certainly be less than the 8+.

Only benefit I can think of to the Note 8 on this front is that it's launching with more up to date software than the S8+ did and we may have some improvements in display efficiency, but that's unknown so far.