Things you've discovered on Note 8?

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Just a wee thought. After the previous spin out of control it might be worth referring to Samsung's floating windows by name rather than PiP...

I've been using the feature for years on my Notes (just not in multiples as described above) but honestly never heard the term Pip until said spin out, lol.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the feature for years on my Notes (just not in multiples as described above) but honestly never heard the term Pip until said spin out, lol.

Indeed. Let's keep the terminology consitant to avoid confusion.

It was a sign of a high tech TV if it had that in the early to mid 80s. A real status symbol in the UK though I guess it became commonplace in the US a lot quicker.

This is the first resurrection of the term I have been aware of since then so it is not the fault that people equate that with a floating window that seems like it does the same thing, but not quite.

i had a foating calc on the note1 so the ability has been there. Samsung didn't really make it official until the 3 so they could mainly get it right and it has improved much over the years.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Some things I've noticed that I don't think have been mentioned here.

Smart Lock with trusted device: My phone remains unlocked while in range with my Pebble watch. Works great with Unlock With Home Button and No Need for OK on PIN. I have iris detection should there be a bluetooth glitch.

Disable Floating Icon for Air Command: It kept popping up in drawing apps when I got near it. Now I just click the pen side button.

If you have a favourite widget that now looks too small on the new, amazing screen you can adjust this in Settings->Display->Screen zoom and font
Shunt the zoom to the middle and then drop the font size town 2 notches to compensate.

In the gallery, inside an album, you can pinch and zoom to adjust thumbnail size.

Black backgrounds save a shed load of battery. They also look nice with the case of the black edition of the phone.

You can also download dark themes from Walpapers and themes so that things like settings and phone etc are dark. I use Material Black.

Substratum is great for setting dark themes across non Samsung apps.
"Substratum is great for setting dark themes across non Samsung apps."

Be careful with substratum....remember to turn it off before updating stuff otherwise you might be up for a full phone reset when it goes in to a boot loop! Been there done that never again

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
When my phone sleeps, it really sleeps now. 4 hours in stand by and it lost 1%. Not to shabby.

Last edited:

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
When my phone sleeps, it really sleeps now. 4 hours in stand by and it lost 1%. Not to shabby.

mine use 1% per hour with AOD/WiFi/mobile date always on, once setup well these devices are not as power hungry as some people try and make them out to be

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Another thing I have noticed on the 8v4. Sound from the timer is now back on the media channel rather than the alarm channel which is really annoying.

If I have by bluetooth headset enabled but not in my ears (normal for round the house when I actually use it) then I often don't hear it. I don't have "that annoying person on the bus" headphones.
It also gets cancelled by quiet times. Even says it could not play the tone due to quiet times when tested on a 1s timer.

It's a timer you have specifically set. I want to hear it. Come on!

Timer should count as an alarm, play on the alarm channel and not be cancelled by quiet time as you have specifically set it to remind you.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
On a similar note. I discovered that I am not a fan of volume linking. I'll set the volume on my phone as a fixed value and alter the headset's volume as required.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I found out if you turn the screen brightness down that only you can see it and put it on HD+ you increase battery life I a major way I'm getting 12 to 14 hours

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I found out if you turn the screen brightness down that only you can see it and put it on HD+ you increase battery life I a major way I'm getting 12 to 14 hours

Seems pretty drastic. I would think that you should get a lot more than that by turning the brightness down to unreadable.

I consistently get 16-17 hours of battery life with WQHD+ enabled and brightness set to Auto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non