Notifications LED while screen on

sk8er_tor

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to get the LED to activate when I get a notification while I'm using the phone and while the screen is on? The LED seems to only work when the screen is off and I can't find a way to change this.

Some people may wonder why I want this. It's because I have the intrusive pop-up notifications disabled and if I'm in Silent mode, I find I'm missing every new message that comes in.

I'm hoping to be able to do this without having to install any third party apps.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No way to change this behavior in stock, I'm afraid. Only if you install a custom ROM to replace the current OS that supports that feature can this be done or rooting and modifying config files might work, but not sure if that's possible (haven't rooted or 'hacked' my phones since the OG Moto Droid haha)

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Try setting up the edge lighting. Settings, Edge Screen, Edge Lighting. Touch the words "Edge Lighting" and turn it on and set it up. You can use the app color setting for each app you want a notification for. I hope this helps.

sk8er_tor

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Try setting up the edge lighting. Settings, Edge Screen, Edge Lighting. Touch the words "Edge Lighting" and turn it on and set it up. You can use the app color setting for each app you want a notification for. I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Based on the instructions, this looked promising but just like all Samsung software, it's half baked garbage. Not only does it not work for most apps (even though I toggled the option to enable), for the very few apps it works for, it also shows a pop-up at the top of the screen with info on of who's messaging with a preview which I don't want. Sorry if I sound frustrated because I am. The hardware is quite good on this phone but the Samsung software is worthless and very frustrating. :'( :'( :'(

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Based on the instructions, this looked promising but just like all Samsung software, it's half baked garbage. Not only does it not work for most apps (even though I toggled the option to enable), for the very few apps it works for, it also shows a pop-up at the top of the screen with info on of who's messaging with a preview which I don't want. Sorry if I sound frustrated because I am. The hardware is quite good on this phone but the Samsung software is worthless and very frustrating. :'( :'( :'(
I'm sorry you're frustrated. But I must say the Edge lighting does work for me for every app I've setup. I don't find it to be half baked garbage. If you've setup Edge lighting leave it setup and see what happens. At first it appeared to me that it wasn't working but I begin to notice it was working. Sounds strange but it's a fact for me......The message notification banner that comes up is so small, narrow and quick that I dont see how it's so intrusive to you. I know everyone is different, but give it another chance. I hate to see you so frustrated.

sk8er_tor

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Curious why you'd like that feature, considering you're using the phone at the time...

Because if my phone is on silent and I'm using the device (i.e. screen is on), I'm missing so many messages. Example, last night while the family was asleep, I put my phone on silent and was browsing the web and on IG while waiting for a message to come in. I didn't notice the message until several minutes after it had arrived because there's no option for the LED to come on when the screen is on. And I have pop-up notifications off because I find them very intrusive and I don't want stuff appearing on my screen since I use my phone a lot with clients.

sk8er_tor

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry you're frustrated. But I must say the Edge lighting does work for me for every app I've setup. I don't find it to be half baked garbage. If you've setup Edge lighting leave it setup and see what happens. At first it appeared to me that it wasn't working but I begin to notice it was working. Sounds strange but it's a fact for me......The message notification banner that comes up is so small, narrow and quick that I dont see how it's so intrusive to you. I know everyone is different, but give it another chance. I hate to see you so frustrated.

Thanks for the feedback. I've reactivated it although it's still not working for my two most used apps: Hub (for emails) and BBM. It works for Messages (Android Messages).

While you're right in that the banner is small, it's still intrusive because I use my phone a lot with clients and I don't want anything popping up on my screen. I feel it's unnecessary, particularly since I already have the pop-up notifications disabled so why introduce another pop-up. It's as if each one of these Samsung apps/settings are made by different groups of people who aren't talking to each other.

That said, it's still only working for text messages.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to get the LED to activate when I get a notification while I'm using the phone and while the screen is on? The LED seems to only work when the screen is off and I can't find a way to change this.

Some people may wonder why I want this. It's because I have the intrusive pop-up notifications disabled and if I'm in Silent mode, I find I'm missing every new message that comes in.

I'm hoping to be able to do this without having to install any third party apps.
I'd like to have this also.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I've reactivated it although it's still not working for my two most used apps: Hub (for emails) and BBM. It works for Messages (Android Messages).

While you're right in that the banner is small, it's still intrusive because I use my phone a lot with clients and I don't want anything popping up on my screen. I feel it's unnecessary, particularly since I already have the pop-up notifications disabled so why introduce another pop-up. It's as if each one of these Samsung apps/settings are made by different groups of people who aren't talking to each other.

That said, it's still only working for text messages.
You can set the pop-up to only show the name of sender but no message.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Because if my phone is on silent and I'm using the device (i.e. screen is on), I'm missing so many messages. Example, last night while the family was asleep, I put my phone on silent and was browsing the web and on IG while waiting for a message to come in. I didn't notice the message until several minutes after it had arrived because there's no option for the LED to come on when the screen is on. And I have pop-up notifications off because I find them very intrusive and I don't want stuff appearing on my screen since I use my phone a lot with clients.

Edge lighting will not solve your issue because you have the screen on. And active on the device. Rather look into the vibration feature to advise when you are receiving messages seeing you are using the device. Pulling tye Notifications shade down will then show up received messages phone calls etc

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You can make it vibrate with every notification without popups. Not sure really if you'll notice the notification light but not notice the icons on the top left.

sk8er_tor

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Edge lighting will not solve your issue because you have the screen on. And active on the device. Rather look into the vibration feature to advise when you are receiving messages seeing you are using the device. Pulling tye Notifications shade down will then show up received messages phone calls etc

You can make it vibrate with every notification without popups. Not sure really if you'll notice the notification light but not notice the icons on the top left.

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually this is a good workaround which I hadn't thought of. Thank you.

I'm quite surprised coming to Android that I'm having to use these workarounds. I was always under the impression Android was super customizable. I guess I'm going to soon have to learn how to root.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. Actually this is a good workaround which I hadn't thought of. Thank you.

I'm quite surprised coming to Android that I'm having to use these workarounds. I was always under the impression Android was super customizable. I guess I'm going to soon have to learn how to root.
Root will give you everything. Sometimes you don't need to. You just need a PC with ADB to get the permissions active without needing root. But the problem is that sometimes the system was not written for certain customizations since it was not thought of.

Also, the customization in Android isn't actually built in. Think of it as lego. Android is the base, then it lets other people make blocks to attach to it to make it into more things. That's why you need apps to make it do some other things. This is because of course Google and the Android devs can't think of everything, so they give out the tools for people to make more things to add onto the OS. For example a lot of the new features being added recently to base Android were add ons by other devs in the past which Google incorporated eventually.

Another workaround is using Floatify. You can use that instead of the stock popups, but Floatify is customizable. You can make it show a popup with the message contents hidden.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Edge lighting does work when the screen is on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87