Folks who bought a carrier branded Note 8 from Samsung outright... you can SIM unlock your phone.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
This really applies to anyone who bought their phone outright from any carrier as well, but I think a lot of people who bought through Samsung bought it outright and/or took advantage of the Note 7 upgrade deals.

Just in case you hadn't done it already - if you bought a carrier branded Note 8 from Samsung outright, including those former Note 7 owners who took advantage of their upgrade program - remember that you are eligible to SIM unlock your phone as the phone is not under any contract. I bought an ATT Note 8 from Samsung (former Note 7 user) and I just unlocked my phone so I am now able to use my T-Mobile SIM in the phone as well (and coincidentally I get a better signal at home with T-Mobile than ATT). I had almost forgotten to do this.

Anyway, this doesn't make it as versatile as the unlocked version that Samsung sold since that one supports CDMA and other bands as well whereas my ATT branded one does not support those bands (so while you can insert a Verizon SIM, you won't get any connection to a network other than an emergency connection) and I don't believe it supports one or two of T-Mobile's bands either. However, this is at least a little bit of a reprieve from those of us who really wanted to get the unlocked version but did not want to lose the ability for certain carrier functions - like ATT Wifi Calling, for example, that doesn't work on the unlocked Note 8. At least you'll be able to use SIMs from networks that are compatible with your version of the phone.

Each carrier has their own way of unlocking your phone, so you should look that up. For ATT users, the website is https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Fwww.att.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F&token=dT4WtcwX and for T-Mobile, it's done via an app.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
This really applies to anyone who bought their phone outright from any carrier as well, but I think a lot of people who bought through Samsung bought it outright and/or took advantage of the Note 7 upgrade deals.

Just in case you hadn't done it already - if you bought a carrier branded Note 8 from Samsung outright, including those former Note 7 owners who took advantage of their upgrade program - remember that you are eligible to SIM unlock your phone as the phone is not under any contract. I bought an ATT Note 8 from Samsung (former Note 7 user) and I just unlocked my phone so I am now able to use my T-Mobile SIM in the phone as well (and coincidentally I get a better signal at home with T-Mobile than ATT). I had almost forgotten to do this.

Anyway, this doesn't make it as versatile as the unlocked version that Samsung sold since that one supports CDMA and other bands as well whereas my ATT branded one does not support those bands (so while you can insert a Verizon SIM, you won't get any connection to a network other than an emergency connection) and I don't believe it supports one or two of T-Mobile's bands either. However, this is at least a little bit of a reprieve from those of us who really wanted to get the unlocked version but did not want to lose the ability for certain carrier functions - like ATT Wifi Calling, for example, that doesn't work on the unlocked Note 8. At least you'll be able to use SIMs from networks that are compatible with your version of the phone.

Each carrier has their own way of unlocking your phone, so you should look that up. For ATT users, the website is https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Fwww.att.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F&token=Hw-qaHq8 and for T-Mobile, it's done via an app.
Verizon Note 8s are SIM unlocked from the factory.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

Each carrier has their own way of unlocking your phone, so you should look that up. For ATT users, the website is https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Fwww.att.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F&token=6HvRa1bY and for T-Mobile, it's done via an app.
All the Note 8's will work on any carrier. CDMA or GSM.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
That's only the unlocked version I believe. I tried my Verizon SIM in my ATT phone and it would not connect to the network.
Once unlocked, all s8, s8+ and Note 8's will work on all carriers. They all have the same bands for CDMA and gsm. They essentially are unlocked models with carrier software. You can even flash the unlocked or any carrier firmware on any carrier phone once sim unlocked.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Once unlocked, all s8, s8+ and Note 8's will work on all carriers. They all have the same bands for CDMA and gsm. They essentially are unlocked models with carrier software. You can even flash the unlocked or any carrier firmware on any carrier phone once sim unlocked.
Hmm, but then why won't my Verizon SIM work on my ATT Note 8 whereas my T-Mobile SIM does? It's acting like every other ATT unlocked phone I have - it only connects to GSM based carriers. If what you are saying is true, then this is great, but how do I access CDMA networks? Does the radio or firmwsre need to be flashed? I've never had to do that before with an unlocked phone that supports all bands. I usually just drop the SIM in it and it works.. for example I have an unlocked iPhone 7 plus from Apple that supports all bands and I just drop either of my Verizon, ATT, or T-Mobile SIMs in it and it just works immediately.

I'd really would like to know if indeed I can make my Verizon SIM work on my unlocked ATT Note 8.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, but then why won't my Verizon SIM work on my ATT Note 8 whereas my T-Mobile SIM does? It's acting like every other ATT unlocked phone I have - it only connects to GSM based carriers. If what you are saying is true, then this is great, but how do I access CDMA networks? Does the radio or firmwsre need to be flashed? I've never had to do that before with an unlocked phone that supports all bands. I usually just drop the SIM in it and it works.. for example I have an unlocked iPhone 7 plus from Apple that supports all bands and I just drop either of my Verizon, ATT, or T-Mobile SIMs in it and it just works immediately.

I'd really would like to know if indeed I can make my Verizon SIM work on my unlocked ATT Note 8.

Because Att is notorious for blocking CDMA bands on their firmware which is why T-Mobile will work and not Verizon. Att are a-holes when it comes to their software and bloat.

iPhones don't allow carriers to modify anything on the phone so all bands are available.

You will need to either flash the unlocked firmware or Verizon's firmware to use a Verizon sim in an At&t phone. The instructions can be found on XDA's site.

If you want all the Verizon features you may also have to rebrand the phone as a Verizon phone. That procedure is also on XDA.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to test if a carrier specific N8 directly from Samsung is unlocked w/o trying a SIM from a different carrier?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Is there a way to test if a carrier specific N8 directly from Samsung is unlocked w/o trying a SIM from a different carrier?

As far as Im aware, the only one truly unlocked is Verizon. Keep in mind though, you will still be limited to certain features like wifi calling etc based on the carrier firmware on the device.

Heres the info on XDA. If you're going to do this then read the instructions very carefully and follow them to a T.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-8/how-to/stock-recovery-odin-recovery-software-t3671615

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Because Att is notorious for blocking CDMA bands on their firmware which is why T-Mobile will work and not Verizon. Att are a-holes when it comes to their software and bloat.

iPhones don't allow carriers to modify anything on the phone so all bands are available.

You will need to either flash the unlocked firmware or Verizon's firmware to use a Verizon sim in an At&t phone. The instructions can be found on XDA's site.

If you want all the Verizon features you may also have to rebrand the phone as a Verizon phone. That procedure is also on XDA.

Ugh.. Well I guess I learn something new - I really thought the carrier branded Note 8s from Samsung only covered the bands that was made for the carrier. That being said, having to flash the firmware to access CDMA is a bit more than I want to do to use my Verizon SIM. At least the T-Mobile SIM works fine.

My unlocked iPhone 7plus covers all bands but my ATT branded unlocked iPhone 6 only seems to cover GSM bands as well because when I drop my Verizon SIM in that, it does not connect to a network.

This has been educational!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Ugh.. Well I guess I learn something new - I really thought the carrier branded Note 8s from Samsung only covered the bands that was made for the carrier. That being said, having to flash the firmware to access CDMA is a bit more than I want to do to use my Verizon SIM. At least the T-Mobile SIM works fine.

My unlocked iPhone 7plus covers all bands but my ATT branded unlocked iPhone 6 only seems to cover GSM bands as well because when I drop my Verizon SIM in that, it does not connect to a network.

This has been educational!
Yeah I believe the iPhone 6s is when they started working across all carriers. Apple use to separate CDMA and gsm versions but they have since stopped.

Flashing the unlocked firmware is pretty simple but there's always a risk. I did it on my T-Mo S8 and am going to do it on my T-Mo Note 8 eventually.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I believe the iPhone 6s is when they started working across all carriers. Apple use to separate CDMA and gsm versions but they have since stopped.

Flashing the unlocked firmware is pretty simple but there's always a risk. I did it on my T-Mo S8 and am going to do it on my T-Mo Note 8 eventually.
The iPhone 7 and 8 have separate gsm and cdma versions.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
The iPhone 7 and 8 have separate gsm and cdma versions.
The only difference is the att version. It has an extra band, band 30. All other models have CDMA and gsm bands which is why they can work on other carriers. It's been that way since the 6s. That's why an Att version will work on Verizon and Verizon on att.

"Apple has confirmed to Macworld that the A1633 and A1687 iPhones are identical to one another except for the A1633’s added support for AT&T’s LTE band 30 — currently only available in limited U.S. markets, but possibly coming to international markets in the future. As Macworld notes, Apple declined to comment on why it would “manufacture two sets of ostensibly almost identical phones that they sell at the same price,” but the conclusion is clear: if you want a iPhone 6s with the broadest possible network support, AT&T’s version — unlocked — is Apple’s best option."

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The only difference is the att version. It has an extra band, band 30. All other models have CDMA and gsm bands which is why they can work on other carriers. It's been that way since the 6s. That's why an Att version will work on Verizon and Verizon on att.

"Apple has confirmed to Macworld that the A1633 and A1687 iPhones are identical to one another except for the A1633’s added support for AT&T’s LTE band 30 — currently only available in limited U.S. markets, but possibly coming to international markets in the future. As Macworld notes, Apple declined to comment on why it would “manufacture two sets of ostensibly almost identical phones that they sell at the same price,” but the conclusion is clear: if you want a iPhone 6s with the broadest possible network support, AT&T’s version — unlocked — is Apple’s best option."

On the 6s,yes. On the iPhone 7 and 8, the att and tmobile variants do not have cdma. They also use the Intel baseband processor which is inferior to the qualcomm baseband processor used in the cdma variants

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/att-and-tmobile-iphone-7-models-lack-cdma/

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
On the 6s,yes. On the iPhone 7 and 8, the att and tmobile variants do not have cdma. They also use the Intel baseband processor which is inferior to the qualcomm baseband processor used in the cdma variants

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/att-and-tmobile-iphone-7-models-lack-cdma/
You mean they made the 6s available to use anywhere then immediately backtracked on that the next 2 models?

If so, that's the dumbest thing apple could do. Offer something for 1 model then take it away.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You mean they made the 6s available to use anywhere then immediately backtracked on that the next 2 models?

If so, that's the dumbest thing apple could do. Offer something for 1 model then take it away.

And yet it had virtually no impact on iPhone sales... At worst, people will just buy the unlocked version

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38