Samsung pay question

anon(9947084)

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Thinking of taking the plunge into this with my note 8.
Was curious to hear from other people on how reliable this is at the register, does it work at gas stations, etc?
From my understanding Samsung Pay is the best option due to specific technology they own to make the phone mimic a magnetic strip swipe.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Was curious to hear from other people on how reliable this is at the register, does it work at gas stations, etc?
From my understanding Samsung Pay is the best option due to specific technology they own to make the phone mimic a magnetic strip swipe.
Agreed!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It works 99% of the time for me on the Note 8.ive had a couple isolated issues with the s7 and S8 but for whatever reason I've had maybe one time I couldn't get it to work on the Note 8. That was at a Walmart that has never worked for me for some reason.

I have not tried at a gas pump. I don't think that works but I could be wrong. It might work at some. Having used apple pay and Android pay as well, Samsung pay is in a league of its own. It just works and works quickly.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
You'll get a lot of responses here. For me, it works I'd say 97% of the time . If the card slides it should work. If the card insert like at a pump, it will not work. I earn probably 25 to 35 as a a month in Samsung rewards just for using it. No fees. It's AWESOME.

kurpaige

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone that uses it and it works for them answer this question for me? If the card you added has a chip does it still work? My BJ's cc has a chip and Apple pay stopped working with the reader asking me to insert the card.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Can anyone that uses it and it works for them answer this question for me? If the card you added has a chip does it still work? My BJ's cc has a chip and Apple pay stopped working with the reader asking me to insert the card.
My Visa card has a chip and it works just fine...that's in Australia....and we're upsidedown 🤔

terobaje

Tero Baje
Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

I have had no issues with my cards. They all have chip.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Mine have chips too and they work seamless.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
A few bits of information that may or may not be of use.

At the gas pump, when you shove your card into the receiving slot, it actually hits a button in the back of the slot and that triggers the reader to scan the card. So its not going to work at a gas pump. Along that path, some (mostly older) card readers also have a switch that tells the reader to read the card. These also won't work with SP.

As for chips, SP actually issues you a card number that is used when you use their system. So if the clerk asks you for the last 4 digits of your card, don't just rattle off the last 4 of your card, because they aren't the same. It tells you the last 4 to use if asked. This assigned number is keyed as being a non-chip card, so it should work for even a chipped card. Samsung does, periodically, change the card number that you are issued, so pay attention to the last 4 if you are asked for them.

Just a note, lately, I have been asked much more frequently for the last 4 on the card. Don't know if that means anything.

Cheers,
BigRedGonzo

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Interestingly enough, mine worked in a mall store with an ancient keyboard card reader- no issues.

Works for me: Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, inside any gas stations at the register, Ruby Tuesday restaurant, Applebees card readers at the table, Starbucks, any grocery store, Lowe's, home depot, best buy, list goes on and on. It's great fun to use.

BonJoviGurl

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
I have trouble at Wal-Mart self check out but I learned to use it as debit and it works fine, if I go to a cashier then I can use it as credit.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just went to the chevron gas station again and the guy inside was very stern about not "taking that" I told him it will work and he kept saying no. I finally started to pull out my wallet and he then asked if it was a credit card or debit. Then the swipe machine was activated and then I got my phone back out and said ok now it will work.. Then 'beep' card accepted showed up on the screen bit just like last time here it asked for the 3 digit ccv number. Has to be 3 digits. The number on Samsung pay didn't work because it's digits.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Just went to the chevron gas station again and the guy inside was very stern about not "taking that" I told him it will work and he kept saying no. I finally started to pull out my wallet and he then asked if it was a credit card or debit. Then the swipe machine was activated and then I got my phone back out and said ok now it will work.. Then 'beep' card accepted showed up on the screen bit just like last time here it asked for the 3 digit ccv number. Has to be 3 digits. The number on Samsung pay didn't work because it's digits.
There are only two places that I know of in my area that flat-out won't allow me to use it because they both claimed somebody did something where they it went through and then they didn't get paid. I can almost guarantee you it was cashier error. Those places were one was a farm market like a big one and then another was a vet office

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
There are only two places that I know of in my area that flat-out won't allow me to use it because they both claimed somebody did something where they it went through and then they didn't get paid. I can almost guarantee you it was cashier error. Those places were one was a farm market like a big one and then another was a vet office

The store I work at says they dont get paid. I dont know how tho. Unless it was an NFC payment that worked but didnt go through because of software.

I was a cashier for 2 years at this store and its impossible to screw up a CC payment... if it prints a receipt, it should have gone through. I've done it a couple times under the radar and havent heard of any blowback from the front office yet.

Now, the CCV security number thing might be a way to prevent or deter people from using SP, after all they have the right to refuse service. I'd like to know, on a technical level how a business wouldn't get paid.

ezapper2

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
don't have Samsung Pay available on the Note 8 in Canada. very upset because i used it for everything on my S7 edge.

it replaced 90% of my cards and always worked!

trying Android pay and found myself busting out a thick wallet again

ZHUERAM

Oct 29, 2017
Visit site
It has worked for me 25 out of 30 tries (83%). Even worked at Tractor Supply, which shocked me because they have the worst credit card software I've ever seen.

ezapper2

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
don't have Samsung Pay available on the Note 8 in Canada. very upset because i used it for everything on my S7 edge.

it replaced 90% of my cards and always worked!

trying Android pay and found myself busting out a thick wallet again

I take it back the download is available today. Thank God!

Thomas Kreh

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Make sure you go through the app and include all your contact info. I've used SP since Note 5 and it's much much better now. Almost no problems at checkout. 40+ transactions a month avg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38