Battery Life

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
After some more testing I've managed to get even more use out of the phone. I've been testing turning off none essential features in the phone and managed to get close to 6hrs screen on time and a full day usage. 3% battery left. Turning off NFC and AOD really helps increase battery life. I don't mind turning off NFC as I don't use Samsung Pay that often or anything that uses NFC but I still want to find a way to keep AOD on, keeping WQHD+ resolution as well and get great battery life. More testing will be done. I'll keep posting my results here. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171114/0589a9b31b316cc322e2b0cc8df7da20.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171114/017eee06cdc1b838186d6f0c12f928e5.jpg

From the starting post you got 9 hrs of OST. Now you get only under 6 hrs?

anon(9099462)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
how are you able to post screen shots ?

That's how my battery life was the first couple of weeks after I got my phone after the first month of having the phone that's whenever I started seeing better battery life, I guess my phone had enough time to learn the way I use my phone. I'd have to try and use my phone the same way one day and see if I get the same results. But I mean, I have been able to get more consistently between 6hrs to 7hrs screen on time while watching Youtube, watching movies, Twitter, Whatsapp, I don't make a whole lot of phone calls either that may be another reason.

anon(9099462)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
From the starting post you got 9 hrs of OST. Now you get only under 6 hrs?

True but if you look at the time difference for how long the phone was actually unplugged from the charger there's quite a difference. On the first post it was mostly to see how far I could take the phone to maximum for screen on time while using it the whole entire time. 9hrs SOT out of 11hrs is good, but if I can get 28hrs away from the charger near 6hrs SOT, that's much better battery life in my opinion. I'm basically testing it in different scenarios to see how the battery life varies depending on the use. For example the first screenshot can show that I can use the phone to watch movies for an entire flight from Houston to Colombia for example. The second post with my second test shows that I don't have to worry about my phone running out of battery when I have to stay away from the charger for an entire day. The first post all I did was watch movies, I was able to watch 3 movies before running out of battery. The second test I had my screen on for less time. My whole purpose of this post is to use the phone in different ways to figure out how battery life is affected in different scenarios.

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
By way of update after using the phone for a few weeks months now. Battery life is pretty abysmal in my view. Not sure whether this is a general Android problem due to an inefficient hardware/software relationship but battery life generally feels very poor to me. For example, I unplugged my phone at 7.30am this morning. By 12pm it was down to 50%. Recharged to 100% and now (about 1.5 hours later), it is already back down to 70%. Definitely can't agree with users who have experienced an improvement in battery life over time.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I believe signal strength is a huge contributor to battery life. On week days, I get a weak signal at work my battery life can be 30% - 50% less than on the weekends. Similar usage and same exact setup obviously. I maybe get a few less notification, but even on work days that I am at home I notice more battery.

Wifi can really improve battery life as well.

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Very interesting. Over the holidays, I've spent most of the day at home where I have terrible reception. So you actually suggest turning mobile data off and just using Wi-Fi when in low reception areas?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, it should help just to run with the mobile data and wifi on.... I know when connected to Wifi it should default to that anyhow.

Erdem Deniz

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I am a new android user. I switched to Note 8 3 weeks ago. I am very satisfied with its battery performance. At first days I doubted about battery life because it only survives a day. Then I really don't know how but battery life improved itself day by day.

I read a comment here (androidcentral) before I bought my Note 8 and it says, Note 8 learns user pattern and adapts itself to user; I think it is totaly true.

My Note 8 is SM-N950FZDATUR and has Exynos 8895 Octa, 7.1.1 Nougat.

From first day I use my phone on middle battery saving mode; location, bluetooth, nfc off unless I use them. I have 60 apps and except Line and WhatsApp all apps are sleeping. 4G/LTE or wifi is always on.

Here is my battery stats after 3 weeks:

From last 100% charge;

- Recent Battery Usage: 2 days 22 hours 3 minutes

- SOT: 7 hours 42 minutes

Screenshot_20180102-114124.jpg Screenshot_20180102-114131.jpg

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
as said a few posts above, if you have bad phone signal and/or wifi it will affect your battery life., I have good of both, wifi, mobile data, aod, always on, using performance mode only, few hours of music every day and I'm pushing 7-9 hours on screen time, I don't keep it to bright though, my phone never gets under 30% so sometime I must try a real push to see.
I am getting the impression that the exynos is better at power management

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
as said a few posts above, if you have bad phone signal and/or wifi it will affect your battery life., I have good of both, wifi, mobile data, aod, always on, using performance mode only, few hours of music every day and I'm pushing 7-9 hours on screen time, I don't keep it to bright though, my phone never gets under 30% so sometime I must try a real push to see.

This is 100% correct, I frequently get through a day with plenty to spare when I am not in the office, however when I am in the office at work I have to charge at about 8:00 - 10:00 because the phone is low. I do get a few more notifications on week days too, but when I am not in my office it runs a bit longer on weekdays.

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Last night, I did an experiment. I turned off mobile data over night and only left on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Went to bed at 11pm with 100% and woke up with 75% at 6am. For simple standby, is this not a rather high battery drain?

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Last night, I did an experiment. I turned off mobile data over night and only left on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Went to bed at 11pm with 100% and woke up with 75% at 6am. For simple standby, is this not a rather high battery drain?

that does sound high alright.
if I go to bed with 100% battery, mobile data and wifi on, AOD on as well, I'll still have 94/95% when getting up 8 hours later, running high performance mode always

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Exynos is usually more Power Efficient than Snapdragon.

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
As a quick update, took the phone to a Samsung Service centre and after running a few diagnostics, I was told that both phone and battery are perfectly fine and that I'm not eligible for a replacement of either. Very odd...

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
After almost four months of very heavy use, I'm averaging close to six hours SOT which is excellent. Plus the one hour recharge from 50% to 100% or near, the phone performs well. I like others hope that the degradation of the battery over time is as minimal as the Sammy President promised. The Note 8 is a phenomenal phone!

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
As a quick update, took the phone to a Samsung Service centre and after running a few diagnostics, I was told that both phone and battery are perfectly fine and that I'm not eligible for a replacement of either. Very odd...

will you do us a favour and fully charge the phone and then switch to performance mode and run it in that ONLY for a full week to see if it makes a difference

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like apps/processes are running in the background overnight. Perhaps activities like Google Photos backup or other resource intensive things are going on. Also, to echo what others have mentioned on this page, poor cell site signal can be a big drain. May be good to check further into that as a potential factor.

GSam Battery Monitor may be worth trying to get more insight to what is going on.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&hl=en