how good is the fingerprint scanner?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Ignoring placement, how do you find the reliability of the fingerprint scanner? I'm almost 2 weeks in with my note 8 and found it brilliant for the first week. But ever since then it's been inconsistent at times, sometimes not working at all. I've tried having an additional scan of my 2 index fingers which seems to help at first but then later the same problems.

I came from a s7 edge and going the scanner poor on that but then the skin on my thumb isn't that great so I put it down to that. My index fingers are much better so was really pleased when it was flawless for the first week. I just don't know what changed?

I'm using smart lock now which gets round the problem but if I ever have to use Samsung pay I want to know it's reliable

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
excellent, and I've found it very easy to use to unlock the phone when taking it out of my pocket.. surprised by how easy it is to use the placement.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Works well when my skin cooperates. Really dry skin thwarts all fingerprint readers for me.

Iris scanning is amazing on the N8. It's the perfect alternative.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Not as good as my iPhone 6s I was using previously. That's my reference point.

For me it may work 10-12 time in a row, then out of nowhere it won't and you press a few times in succession before it takes it. Kind of goes in a pattern that it will usually be ok for a while and then not.

So I guess works about 80%?

It almost seems like the FPS is just not reading at times like it's hung up. Because how do you go 10-12 times fairly consistently and then out of blue doesn't and then after tapping 2 or 3 times it let's you in.

Iris has worked more consistently for me than FPS on the Note but continue to try to go back and forth depending on the situation.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Not as good as my iPhone 6s I was using previously. That's my reference point.

For me it may work 10-12 time in a row, then out of nowhere it won't and you press a few times in succession before it takes it. Kind of goes in a pattern that it will usually be ok for a while and then not.

So I guess works about 80%?

It almost seems like the FPS is just not reading at times like it's hung up. Because how do you go 10-12 times fairly consistently and then out of blue doesn't and then after tapping 2 or 3 times it let's you in.

Iris has worked more consistently for me than FPS on the Note but continue to try to go back and forth depending on the situation.

Interesting comment. That's sometimes how I feel. It works so well then suddenly doesn't and it's almost the sensor isn't waking up or something

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
for those mentioning iris, do you find it works when walking along or in dim or dark enciormnets? in some light I've found it excellent but also find it slow or not working at all at times. I wear contact lenses though so not sure if that's the reason

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been lucky. Indoors or out... bright outside with sun to my backor in my face... or in darkness in bed in the middle of the night... wearing prescription glasses or not (rimless glasses)... I even noticed laying in bed in dark and eyes in not framed in the circles at something like 30+ degree angle and it unlocks consistently at first glance.

for those mentioning iris, do you find it works when walking along or in dim or dark enciormnets? in some light I've found it excellent but also find it slow or not working at all at times. I wear contact lenses though so not sure if that's the reason

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
it's only the 2nd day...it works 95% of the time.....thou I was shocked how fast iris scanner is ...still getting use to finger print placement

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Wait, what? This thread is referring to the finger print sensor.

My fps works fantastic. Probably about a 97-98% success rate. As mentioned above, register your finger(s) at different angles so you're covered.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've done that (one profile inputting fingerprint 180 degrees). Also stored registered the same finger multiple times.

Wait, what? This thread is referring to the finger print sensor.

My fps works fantastic. Probably about a 97-98% success rate. As mentioned above, register your finger(s) at different angles so you're covered.

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I've never had it fail and coming from an honor 8 I'm kind of used to the placement, so no problems here. Prefer the iris scanner though.