Samsung keyboard or something else?

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Did you guys primarily stick to the Samsung keyboard? Do I lose any functionality if I switch? I've always been a swiftkey person, but I don't want to switch just because of that.

antman451

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I was Team Swiftkey for a long time, but I tried out Gboard and converted. Has more functionality and better swiping for me.

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Gboard. Doesn't appear to lose functionality but then I never used the Samsung keyboard so maybe I'm missing something but haven't noticed anything not working.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You lose functionality by sticking to Samsung keyboard. Prediction sucks, you can't carry over learned words to other devices. The only thing you get is the Samsung keyboard follows the phone theme, which you can to an extent work around with Gboard themes and Swiftkey custom themes.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
as far as I can tell you can only do handwriting input with the Samsung keyboard. I use gboard normally but it really annoys me that on changing to the Samsung keyboard to try out handwriting input, then going back to gboard, it always turns off spell checking. so annoying! is there any option for handwriting recognition using gboard or without having to switch to Samsung keyboard?

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
as far as I can tell you can only do handwriting input with the Samsung keyboard....is there any option for handwriting recognition using gboard or without having to switch to Samsung keyboard?

I'd like to know that myself. The handwriting recognition is pretty good and is my preferred mode of input.

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
as far as I can tell you can only do handwriting input with the Samsung keyboard. I use gboard normally but it really annoys me that on changing to the Samsung keyboard to try out handwriting input, then going back to gboard, it always turns off spell checking. so annoying! is there any option for handwriting recognition using gboard or without having to switch to Samsung keyboard?
I found this during my investigation into this topic. Maybe it will help you?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.handwriting.ime

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you hover over your text entry spot, you can hit the T in the circle to use handwriting entry.
a2a0197955d72ae86888d5fa7e3d57a9.jpg

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I've been a Swiftkey user for years now (although it's crap on iOS)

Just started to use GBoard on my new Note 8 and it's converting me, slowly. Just seems smoother but I'm also better with it for not hitting the full stop button the time haha

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
See my link above. Maybe that is what you are looking for?

Thanks for that, that is so cool. Still have to switch keyboards, but is a little" lighter" because you go r ight in to the handwriting on the second keyboard. Doesn't have Samsung edits (backwards line to delete) but is worth trying. Thanks for posting.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
and, Gboard + Samsung keyboard, which has gotten better. one thing I can't stand on Gboard is selecting a different word sometimes combines the new word and half of the wrong word.. haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong on that.

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So I'm currently trying gboard. I like it, but as someone pointed out above, the punctuation is a giant pain. Other than that though, I really like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty