Is it worth changing from, Google pay to Samsung pay ?

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Pay simply can't be beat, it's one of the main reasons I can't switch to any other Android manufacturer. I use it that much

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Fewer steps does no one any good if it only works at maybe 30% of terminals in the wild. I have not noticed an extra steps but an extra swipe would be worth it to have a smart phone pay service that works everywhere.

30% of the terminals? The one place I couldn't get it to work was a Dominos, and I think it's because they didn't have the screen on their end set right. Other than that, maybe if you're not in the US. But to say 30% of the terminals in the US is bogus.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Pay simply can't be beat, it's one of the main reasons I can't switch to any other Android manufacturer. I use it that much
Same here. I even changed BANKS to be able to use it lol. Then went back to my original Bank I liked once they finally got it.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Way more steps? We're talking 2 steps. You can keep using AP and get nothing or use SP and be rewarded for it.

Yeah that's 2 steps too many for each payment when you're used to only pressing one button. Less is more as they say.
For me, Samsung Pay is OK but Android Pay is as easy and as seamless as whipping out your debit card and tapping it. Now that makes it better.
I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure there isn't even a reward incentive outside the U.S either? Maybe someone here in the U.K using Samsung Pay can confirm or correct me there?

Last edited:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's 2 steps too many for each payment when you're used to only pressing one button. Less is more as they say.
For me, Samsung Pay is OK but Android Pay is as easy and as seamless as whipping out your debit card and tapping it. Now that makes it better.
I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure there isn't even a reward incentive outside the U.S either? Maybe someone here in the U.K using Samsung Pay can confirm or correct me there?

While visiting UK in Fall 2017, I used Android Pay (Note 8 not out yet) extensively. Worked great and zero issues. U.S. needs to get caught up and accelerate phasing out MST, have restaurants bring mobile chip readers to the table, etc. Still too much risk for fraud. Happy my wife uses Samsung Pay + Note 8 wherever possible here as that reduces our risk.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Some of these comments make me laugh. I have used Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay. They are all easy and fast to use. The difference is that, in the USA, Samsung Pay can be used anywhere and I get rewarded for using it. The other two are hit and miss as far as where they are accepted. Nothing wrong with Android Pay, but I'll take Samsung Pay until I have a reason not to.

CapScarlet

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
I've gotten more mileage with S-Pay using my Note8 and Gear Frontier S3 than I had using an iphone & Apple watch for Apple Pay! Before long I got bumped up to Platinum status so using Samsung Pay is definitely worth it if you use it on a daily basis!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've gotten more mileage with S-Pay using my Note8 and Gear Frontier S3 than I had using an iphone & Apple watch for Apple Pay! Before long I got bumped up to Platinum status so using Samsung Pay is definitely worth it if you use it on a daily basis!

Platinum status is great isn't it

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I just used my gear s3 at a store where you can only swipe a card reader connected to the screen. after I convinced the cashier to let me go behind the desk she was blown away 😂 Something Android pay can never do..

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I just used my gear s3 at a store where you can only swipe a card reader connected to the screen. after I convinced the cashier to let me go behind the desk she was blown away Something Android pay can never do..
Did that at a video store. And at a restaurant. The faces they make are priceless.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've really gotten the hang of pay at the pump with Samsung Pay too. I get a kick out of it

That's definitely something we'll never get to try in the UK thanks to it being illegal to use a mobile phone in a petrol station (gas station to you guys of course) in case it ignites the fumes or fuel when filling up. Stupid stupid law it is too

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I use Samsung Pay and I've hardly had any issues. One place canceled the transaction because she said they don't accept Samsung Pay and made me swipe my card. The one other place, the way the card reader was designed the phone couldn't transmit to the card reader. Also, I can't use it on most of the gas pumps here. Which means, that I can use it at about 95% of the places I go to shop. I've earned almost 13,000 points to date, and that has been in less than a year.

Long story short - Yes it is worth it. It is more secure than using your card and more convenient than Google Pay and Apple Pay because it can be used on any card reader that reads the magnetic strip.

Here is a partial list of places I've successfully used it:

Walmart (not equipped to accept Apple or Google Pay here)
Target
Foodland (grocery store)
Commisary
PX/MCX/NEX (not equipped to accept Apple or Google Pay)
Don Quijote (lady canceled the transaction because she said it wasn't secure)
The gym my daughter does gymnastics at
CT Mixed Plate (local restaurant has old card swipe only card reader)

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. I've also successfully used in on a PayPal reader you plug into your phone, and because of that, presume it will work on a Square card reader as well.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
it does work on square.

as for Walmart, mine may have updated their system as it no longer works. doesn't even register. used it there for years. now I have zero reason to go there.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
My Problem. Is the Walmart and 7 11 machines... Never takes it

I can always get mine to work at Walmart, but sometimes it takes a second try. This has started happening since Walmart Pay has entered the scene. I don't know of a 7 11 near me, but all the other little Rob Shops seem to work fine with SP.

BigRedGonzo

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I can always get mine to work at Walmart, but sometimes it takes a second try. This has started happening since Walmart Pay has entered the scene. I don't know of a 7 11 near me, but all the other little Rob Shops seem to work fine with SP.

BigRedGonzo
Walmart works like a charm, just used mine yesterday at 7-11, clerk said, that's a Samsung right? They're the best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non