Is it worth changing from, Google pay to Samsung pay ?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
it does work on square.

as for Walmart, mine may have updated their system as it no longer works. doesn't even register. used it there for years. now I have zero reason to go there.
Works at Wal-Mart. Need to run as Debit. I've used it there as recently as this past week. No issues that way.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I tried using Samsung Pay at one of the Walmarts in my area the other day, and found that they had completely turned off or disabled the magnetic stripe reader on the terminal, so I couldn't use SP. That's the first time I'd run into that. I had even successfully used SP at the same Walmart a couple weeks before. I hope this isn't a trend.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I tried using Samsung Pay at one of the Walmarts in my area the other day, and found that they had completely turned off or disabled the magnetic stripe reader on the terminal, so I couldn't use SP. That's the first time I'd run into that. I had even successfully used SP at the same Walmart a couple weeks before. I hope this isn't a trend.
That sucks....they haven't done that at any of ours around here (yet..). I use the self checkout usually.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

If they had the tap and pay function on, you could have used that. SP does both.

BigRedGonzo

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Pay only good for US america customer's
in UK, Europe Android pay and Samsung pay there's no difference.
in fact Android Pay supports more banks in UK, that's the reason i joined with Android pay

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Works at Wal-Mart. Need to run as Debit. I've used it there as recently as this past week. No issues that way.

Tried both, doesn't register at all, not even a beep. There is an Exxon station I go to that has nfc on the pump but not in the store, when I use it in the store, MST, it freezes the machine. Ha!

dzigner

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
A fun thing the other day after work:

Went to a Honey Baked Ham store. I didn't see any Android Pay notices here (and didn't care-dont need that notice for Samsung Pay to work). Anyway they had a typical table top style card slider terminal so I k we it'd worm. I told her I was paying with my phone. She said people have tried and it hasn't worked yet. I tried:first time it didn't complete, so I took off the case and retried: success. The look on her face was entertaining.

Same thing with the Ten and Five store I went to other day. She was incredulous.:)

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
And, last night I returned an item to Target - I didn't have my receipt but did have my license . I explained to them that originally I had paid with my phone via Paypal. She wanted to try to physical card first adn of course it didnt work - I think because the phone encrypts the card data. She agreed and let me try the phone - Worked :) I will be getting the credit for the return in the normal timeframe - may show up today.

For me, the ability to now use Paypal on Samsung Pay is G R E A T>

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
In the US, but also in Canada, I've found Samsung Pay works 99.9% of the time. Most places that don't accept swipes any more do accept NFC based payment which Samsung Pay also supports. So it's a best of all worlds scenario. I'm currently using a Pixel XL 2 and missing Samsung Pay almost more than the beautiful screen.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if this is slightly off topic, but it does support the ease of use of Samsung Pay. I was in my local post office yesterday. I pulled out my phone to pay and the guy stops me with the usual, "we don't take that here". I said, ok, do you mind if I try anyway? He laughed and said, go right ahead. His jaw dropped when it worked. Then he wanted to know what phone I had and how I got that to work. He pulled out his iPhone 6s (I think that's what it was due to the headphone jack) and was like, "mine hardly ever works anywhere".

Since it was early in the morning and the post office was empty, I gave him the Samsung Pay 101 course which turned into an android v. iOS conversation. He was not a techy person. He couldn't believe some of the things I could do with my Note 8. Based on his reaction, he obviously had never seen a Note device. His friends and family had told him android phones were junk so he planned on just upgrading to the 8 or maybe the X. It was an interesting 5-10 minute conversation. I go into that post office at least once a week so I will be interested to see if he makes the jump from his iPhone.

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
In the US, but also in Canada, I've found Samsung Pay works 99.9% of the time.

About 70% for me. The swipe machines in CVS do not detect it, nor do the ones in most restaurants, nor many of the ones in convenience stores out in the countryside. I guess they either have a sensor to detect a card in the machine, or else they are too well shielded.
It usually works at the larger retail chains except CVS. I don't know if it would work at Walmart, I never shop there.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Loving it more now since paypal is now accepted within Samsung Pay. I earn cashback with Paypal and earn the points with Samsung Pay. Even when Samsung Pay points earning maxes out around 50-55 transactions a month, I can keep on using Paypal or another cash back earning card within Samsung Pay :)

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
About 70% for me. The swipe machines in CVS do not detect it, nor do the ones in most restaurants, nor many of the ones in convenience stores out in the countryside. I guess they either have a sensor to detect a card in the machine, or else they are too well shielded.
It usually works at the larger retail chains except CVS. I don't know if it would work at Walmart, I never shop there.
Interesting. I dont have issues at the CVS stores by us. In my area, I know with some convenience stores depending on which ones, I may need to put it through as either Debit or Credit. Some don't mattter, but some only specifically work one way or the other.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I've had no problems at the CVS stores that have both the swipe and the smart card enabled. The cashiers have told me it won't work, but it has worked for me.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Don't think that's true. Samsung pay only works on selective Samsung devices. I have pixel XL 2 and Samsung pay is not an option nor you can install samsung pay app.
How did you get that to happen? I’m pretty sure Samsung Pay only works on select Samsung devices S6 and newer.
That is correct. It only works on Samsung phones. It only works on the S4 active and newer.

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site

Honestly I have have found it works more often than not. I've used it at many CVS stores, Walmart, Panda Express, all manner of restaurants and convenient stores..even 7-11.. so not being rude but your probably doing it wrong for all of us having no issues

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Honestly I have have found it works more often than not. I've used it at many CVS stores, Walmart, Panda Express, all manner of restaurants and convenient stores..even 7-11.. so not being rude but your probably doing it wrong for all of us having no issues
Used mine today at Applebees on a reader thats an integral side of the monitor register. Works like a charm.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Groenborg