02-28-2018 12:51 PM
102 123 ...
tools
    I've had my T-Mobile Note8 since the pre-order days, and it was fine up until about 2 weeks ago or so. Around the time of the last software update.

Since then, it's been occasionally freezing, roughly about once every day or 2. Never while I'm actually using it, but randomly when it's on standby. I look at the phone and notice the time being behind on the always-on display. I try to turn it on and it's completely unresponsive. So I just soft reboot.

Any idea what this could be? I uninstalled a few apps that were installed around that time, but it's still happening.

And why would this start happening suddenly when the phone was fine before? Maybe something with the microSD card?

Any help is much appreciated.
    6378 likes this.
    11-27-2017 10:40 PM
    First thing I would do would be to go to settings, storage, tap on internal storage, tap on cached data and clear it. Then wipe the cache partition as follows:

How to wipe the cache partition on the Note 8:

Back up data on the internal memory. I've never lost any data from this process, but just in case, back up important stuff.

Turn off the device.

Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.

When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing no command for a few seconds followed by the Android system recovery menu options).

Press the Volume down key several times to highlight 'wipe cache partition'.

Press Power button to select.

Press the Volume down key until 'yes' is highlighted and press the Power button.

When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” will be highlighted.

Press the Power key to restart the device.
    JPR45 likes this.
    11-27-2017 11:14 PM
    First thing I would do would be to go to settings, storage, tap on internal storage, tap on cached data and clear it. Then wipe the cache partition as follows:

How to wipe the cache partition on the Note 8:

Back up data on the internal memory. I've never lost any data from this process, but just in case, back up important stuff.

Turn off the device.

Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.

When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing no command for a few seconds followed by the Android system recovery menu options).

Press the Volume down key several times to highlight 'wipe cache partition'.

Press Power button to select.

Press the Volume down key until 'yes' is highlighted and press the Power button.

When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” will be highlighted.

Press the Power key to restart the device.
    Thank you! I've followed all of the steps you've outlined. I guess it's just a waiting game now. I hope this solves it.
    11-27-2017 11:57 PM
    My Unlocked Note 8 (pre-ordered direct from Samsung) got the Nov security update yesterday and has been running like crap, freezing as well.
    11-30-2017 08:32 AM
    Mine has been doing that since before the last update. Same thing as you described, I would leave the phone and come back to it being unresponsive on the AOD screen. I tried uninstalling all non critical apps and it still happened. Been living with it for like 2 months. Finally gave in and wiped it so I’m waiting to see if it happens again. So far so good...but I’m not holding my breath.

UPDATE: I must have the worst luck..it froze again..
    6378 likes this.
    12-02-2017 07:03 PM
    I’ve posted a separate post but mine has been doing that recently... but only when I’m charging the phone the last few times. I only charge when it goes from full to around 20% so It’s about a day and a half between charges.
    12-03-2017 08:26 AM
    I’ve posted a separate post but mine has been doing that recently... but only when I’m charging the phone the last few times. I only charge when it goes from full to around 20% so It’s about a day and a half between charges.
    By any chance do you have an sd card in your Note?
    12-03-2017 02:49 PM
    No. Hadn't put one in yet.

By any chance do you have an sd card in your Note?
    12-03-2017 02:52 PM
    No. Hadn't put one in yet.
    Ok so that's not the common denominator. However my freezing happens randomly at any time and not limited to while it's charging. I think I may do a warranty exchange through TMobile at this point.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    recDNA likes this.
    12-03-2017 02:54 PM
    Ugh, I thought this problem was finally taken care of. It had not frozen since Nov. 27 when I followed the steps outlined by srvctec. But just now it froze again.

I otherwise love this phone but the random freezing just isn't acceptable at this price. I really hope the Nokia 9 comes to T-Mobile.
    12-05-2017 10:37 AM
    Ugh, I thought this problem was finally taken care of. It had not frozen since Nov. 27 when I followed the steps outlined by srvctec. But just now it froze again.

I otherwise love this phone but the random freezing just isn't acceptable at this price. I really hope the Nokia 9 comes to T-Mobile.
    Try to get a replacement for warranty / insurance
    hasasimo likes this.
    12-05-2017 10:50 AM

have you done a factory reset from recovery? also, I would try removing your SD if you have one. apologies if you have already tried both and sorry to hear.
    hasasimo likes this.
    12-05-2017 11:39 AM
    Thank you all for the suggestions, and for telling us what you've tried to solve this.

Try to get a replacement for warranty / insurance
    It's looking like this might be my only solution. I was just so sure it wasn't a hardware thing given that the problem is relatively new.

have you done a factory reset from recovery? also, I would try removing your SD if you have one. apologies if you have already tried both and sorry to hear.
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried a factory reset yet. I kind of dread it. And I feel like if I do that anyway I might as well get a replacement so I only have to set the phone up 1 more time instead of 2. Plus someone in this thread said they tried a reset and the problem persists

I was thinking of trying it without the SD card, but it seems some in this thread have the problem even without an SD.
    12-05-2017 02:57 PM
    Thank you all for the suggestions, and for telling us what you've tried to solve this.

It's looking like this might be my only solution. I was just so sure it wasn't a hardware thing given that the problem is relatively new.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried a factory reset yet. I kind of dread it. And I feel like if I do that anyway I might as well get a replacement so I only have to set the phone up 1 more time instead of 2. Plus someone in this thread said they tried a reset and the problem persists

I was thinking of trying it without the SD card, but it seems some in this thread have the problem even without an SD.
    the factory reset is the last step before return. if it's app related and you don't sync your apps, but instead load them one by one you can test for the issue before returning. either way you have to setup again. if this is an app conflict you'll have the same on the new one if you load all the same apps.

your phone is unique to you. don't borrow problems. test the possibilities and then return if it's still an issue.

just my thoughts, but what if the next one has a different issue... and that's borrowing problems, but... really old saying... better the devil you know.
    hasasimo likes this.
    12-05-2017 03:09 PM
    whatever you do, I wish you luck with it.
    hasasimo likes this.
    12-05-2017 03:10 PM
    I’m currently testing the no sd card option. Will report back if it freezes again.

Also is everyone experiencing this with Tmobile?
    12-05-2017 08:00 PM
    unlocked with SD card installed on AT&T. So far not a single freeze.

I wish all with the freezing problem the best. Back in the day such symptoms were usually caused by rogue app. A full reset usually helped isolate that.

Today I'm not sure, seems no one wants to do resets anymore to locate a problem problem.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    12-05-2017 08:39 PM

I wish all with the freezing problem the best. Back in the day such symptoms were usually caused by rogue app. A full reset usually helped isolate that.

Today I'm not sure, seems no one wants to do resets anymore to locate a problem problem.
    it's a disposable society now. even rudimentary troubleshooting is avoided. I don't like FRs, but if I'm doing one anyway prepping for the return, you know I'm quickly setting the up the minimum to test if the issue was resolved.

I like knowing the answer to the mystery. it's what makes me good at what I do for a living. I'm a problem solver.
    12-05-2017 09:20 PM
    Because Resets are such a pain in the butt... making sure your data is secured and backed up and prep by keeping track of what’s installed before and their settings to put them all back and then to take hours to set back up like before. And in a restore like this... I always forget an account or app I didn’t back up settings or data.

It’s not like an iOS device where it’s a one shot backup if you want to erase and restore usings Apples cloud to pretty much exactly the way it was before the erase within the hour. The only prep is making sure you have a fresh backup to the cloud right before.

I’m pretty much ready to erase my phone back to stock from recent issue posted elsewhere freezing while charging... but last couple of charges have gone without a freeze and tonight I tested wireless charging just to test since people have been posting of wireless charge issues and I wanted to see if my issues may also have included that... but it charged without a hitch from 65% to full in an hour... so fingers crossed my issue has gone away from the adjustment I made and maybe with apps always updated a sw issue resolved (praying lol)??

Hope I didn’t jinx myself.

12-05-2017 09:22 PM
    So the SD card definitely isn't the problem. Phone just froze again. I've done everything I could think of.

Called TMobile for a warranty exchange. Fingers crossed the new phone has no issues.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    12-10-2017 06:19 PM
    So the SD card definitely isn't the problem. Phone just froze again. I've done everything I could think of.

Called TMobile for a warranty exchange. Fingers crossed the new phone has no issues.
    Good luck. Keep us updated.

I haven't had the best of luck with Note devices, between this and the Note 7. Only other Samsung device I had was the S7 Edge, and besides not re-gaining reception after I enter/leave my garage, I had no problems with it. Certainly never froze.

As for not wanting to hard reset, I can (and have) eliminated apps one by one to test if that's what's causing it. That hasn't helped.

As donm527 said, it's a pain, especially when chances are that it won't permanently solve the problem.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this started happening around the time of the last update (at least in my case). That was about the same time I started using a microSD though, so who knows which it is. But I've had the device since pre-order, and there was no freezing before that.

I do appreciate everyone's suggestions though. I'm a Jump on Demand customer, so chances are I'll be switching phones at some point in the not too distant future anyway. Probably an S9, but hopefully the Nokia 9 if that comes stateside.
    12-15-2017 07:08 PM
    Samsung makes it easy to copy/backup to a PC and later restore. Couldn't be easier.

Had an SD problem that caused issues and only by pulling it did II know for sure.

Had terrible battery drain, high battery temps, would drop to zero over night. Bought an identical BlackBerry DTEK 60 to test.

Wiped the problem unit, problems gone. I was 300% certain it was hardware. Problem never came back.

Moral of story, clean install. Like doing chkdsk on corrupt volume to fix directory, map out bad sectors.

If you want to know "Why."
    12-15-2017 07:41 PM
    Good luck. Keep us updated.

I haven't had the best of luck with Note devices, between this and the Note 7. Only other Samsung device I had was the S7 Edge, and besides not re-gaining reception after I enter/leave my garage, I had no problems with it. Certainly never froze.

As for not wanting to hard reset, I can (and have) eliminated apps one by one to test if that's what's causing it. That hasn't helped.

As donm527 said, it's a pain, especially when chances are that it won't permanently solve the problem.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this started happening around the time of the last update (at least in my case). That was about the same time I started using a microSD though, so who knows which it is. But I've had the device since pre-order, and there was no freezing before that.

I do appreciate everyone's suggestions though. I'm a Jump on Demand customer, so chances are I'll be switching phones at some point in the not too distant future anyway. Probably an S9, but hopefully the Nokia 9 if that comes stateside.
    Got my replacement device on Wed. I haven't had any freezing yet but that doesn't mean anything. It used to happen on the old phone at random times. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

I too have Jump on Demand so I may only keep this phone until the s9 as well. It depends on what the down payment looks like. T-Mobile kind of ruined JOD with the latest change requiring money down.
    6378 and hasasimo like this.
    12-16-2017 06:44 AM
    I'm experiencing the same issues as described above. Did the replacement phone rectify the issue?
    12-20-2017 02:08 PM
    I'm experiencing the same issues as described above. Did the replacement phone rectify the issue?
    I cannot believe it. Woke up this morning to a frozen replacement phone. I just don't know what to say at this point. I did not restore from backup. It must be a common basic app that is causing this. I'm so damn irritated and confused.

We might just have to compare what we have installed.
    12-22-2017 06:14 AM
102 123 ...