High performance mode vs other modes

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
When you set it to high performance mode, it states what it does. Other than putting your screen at the highest resolution, if you haven't set it that way to begin with, it increases your brightness by 10 percent. It doesn't say that it speeds up the processor in any way. So that's why it makes no difference in your battery life. I can't imagine, therefore, why some have found it makes an improvement in battery life. But I will give it a try.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
When you set it to high performance mode, it states what it does. Other than putting your screen at the highest resolution, if you haven't set it that way to begin with, it increases your brightness by 10 percent. It doesn't say that it speeds up the processor in any way. So that's why it makes no difference in your battery life. I can't imagine, therefore, why some have found it makes an improvement in battery life. But I will give it a try.
Depends on power usage vs wattage vs time. Apples custom designed processors actually have in the past (not sure about current) used significantly more power then snapdragon and others at higher clock speeds. The trick with the Apple processor is that it uses more power to do a given task but it also completes it quicker which allows it to return to sleep state faster. Sleep state was also lower that any other manufacturer at that time.

So if high performance mode modifies the governer then it's possible that you could have more battery life.

Same applies to modems in these phones. A slower connection will result in more battery drain bc the modem is awake longer.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

What mode have you guys been running. I just recently turn on high performance mode and have left it on without seeing much a hit on my battery life.

Anyone else doing the same?

My overnight battery life improved? Normally have 92-93% in the morning, I had 98% this morning with Performance Mode on - Holy Cheet Mhan!!! Just did it yesterday - will have to watch day-to-day! Amazed - I've been running "Mid" Battery Saving Mode since I got the phone "just because" that's what I did on my Note 7 and my S7 Active - Duh!

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I switched over mid day today. I haven't noticed much of difference on battery. But my SwiftKey keyboard suddenly took up half the screen. I adjusted it and all is good. I'll try it all day tomorrow and see if there is a difference.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
So I took my phone off the charger at 5:30 this morning in High Performance mode. By 7 am it was at 90% (all I used the phone for was to listen to an audiobook), which is very unusual drain for me. Usually I'd only be down to 96 or 95 at the most. By 7:30 it was at 87% and I was not listening to the book for those 30 minutes. I switched it back to Optimized after that.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
So I took my phone off the charger at 5:30 this morning in High Performance mode. By 7 am it was at 90% (all I used the phone for was to listen to an audiobook), which is very unusual drain for me. Usually I'd only be down to 96 or 95 at the most. By 7:30 it was at 87% and I was not listening to the book for those 30 minutes. I switched it back to Optimized after that.
Hmmm. After I made that last post I changed my mind and decided to leave high performance mode on. Now an hour later it is still at 87 percent. Maybe it's going to be ok...

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. After I made that last post I changed my mind and decided to leave high performance mode on. Now an hour later it is still at 87 percent. Maybe it's going to be ok...
Either no difference or better is what I noticed. But I was already running at optimized and max resolution.

Also after setting it to high performance mode you can still lower the brightness to whatever you want. That's the largest user of power anyways.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Either no difference or better is what I noticed. But I was already running at optimized and max resolution.

Also after setting it to high performance mode you can still lower the brightness to whatever you want. That's the largest user of power anyways.
Yea. Now 3 hours later I'm at 84, so High Performance mode is going fine now. Not sure what was going on earlier this morning.

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yea. Now 3 hours later I'm at 84, so High Performance mode is going fine now. Not sure what was going on earlier this morning.
Yea I really didn't notice much of a difference. I was using optimize before and the battery is on par or a little better with high performance. I've been reading more about this setting. Not sure if it does anything beside increase the display since I do use Lightroom on the phone and do see a bit of performance boost. I don't run benchmarks or anything so this is more of a individual experience. Either way, glad there isn't much or any extra drainage on the battery. That's a plus. Be running this more all the time now.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
yep, running high performance all the time, I think it somehow manages what you do better than the other modes which in turn gives you the best battery life but again usage are different for everyone

If performance mode turns the brightness 10% more wouldn't that drain your battery more? How much OST are you actually getting more?

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering if it is helping with power by being more efficient when not in use? Ie... Going into sleep quicker etc.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
If performance mode turns the brightness 10% more wouldn't that drain your battery more? How much OST are you actually getting more?

I couldn't give you a proper answer to be honest as I have 2 Notes, first I played around with the modes a bit and high performance seemed best, when that went in for repair and I got the second one I decided to run performance mode only, so not very scientific really but an example, yesterday after 3.45 up time after unplugging the charger I had 2.5 on screen while also listening to music and was still at 74% battery, WiFi and mobile data is 24/7 on my phone but location and Bluetooth nearly always off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non