Horrible customer service experience

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I returned my Note 8 to Samsung in mid October. To save them money, I put the phone, as well as the promotional SD card and charging pad in the same box and returned them together. This apparently generated confusion because they only saw one tracking number and thought I had forgotten to return the SD card and charging pad. They have not refunded me my money, almost three months later. In early November, when I called them first to inquire about this, they told me they'd launch an investigation. When I didn't hear back from them I called again in late November, and again in early December. Each time they told me they would escalate it. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was simply told there was none available to speak to me. One time I spoke to an alleged supervisor, and they told me it was already escalated to the highest team responsible for this. I called again in late December and twice in January, each time with the same non-result. Basically, there appears to be no-one who can resolve this issue, and it is with some escalation team that's not doing their job.

Now that I haven't had the phone in 3 months I am starting to be quite confused. This borders on theft or at least fraud.

What legal or other means to I have to pressure them to return my money?

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
call them and ask which exact title of legal entity your lawyer need to contact and DO NOT get of the phone until you have an answer to that, insist on supervisor.. manager.. next level up until the end....

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If they sent you 3 labels, that means that each "RMA" has a tracking number attached. If you can't prove the item on that RMA was returned by the tracking number tied to that return being scanned by the shipper, you may not have much recourse.

Samsung can just say "RMA ### was supposed to be returned on tracing number xxx, that number was never shipped, you never sent the item".

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
call them and ask which exact title of legal entity your lawyer need to contact and DO NOT get of the phone until you have an answer to that, insist on supervisor.. manager.. next level up until the end....

I tried, multiple times. They refuse to say anything else than "your case has been escalated and the appropriate team is handling it". This hasn't changed since early November.

anon(10212606)

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
I returned my Note 8 to Samsung in mid October. To save them money, I put the phone, as well as the promotional SD card and charging pad in the same box and returned them together. This apparently generated confusion because they only saw one tracking number and thought I had forgotten to return the SD card and charging pad.

TBH you screwed yourself. That's how I see it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
While I can appreciate trying to do something nice to save them time and effort, lesson learned. For all you know, those needed to be sent in separately for more efficient sorting and processing on their end.

As it stands, I'm not sure what other options you should explore. If you are in the U.S., I'd try contacting the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. That may get you somewhere. Otherwise, you may have to take them to court over it and hope you can prove your case. They may see the threat of a lawyer as an empty threat, but receiving an actual letter from an attorney or court summons will make them pay attention. Depending on how the laws work, I honestly don't know if you have much of a leg to stand on because you almost have to prove a negative in this case.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Lawyers cost money and Samsung is not intimidated. Unless someone files a class action suit.

Small claims would be the usual remedy but there are problems with jurisdiction. Where to sue a multiple nation company and the location of the transaction. Samsung will most probably ignore. Which is best as you probably signed your rights away at some point. But you can still try and if a sympathetic court goes along then there is the fun of trying to collect on the judgment. You can create mischief if dedicated to your mission.

But no attorneys. Too expensive and this advice comes from a real live lawyer.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Lawyers cost money and Samsung is not intimidated. Unless someone files a class action suit.

Small claims would be the usual remedy but there are problems with jurisdiction. Where to sue a multiple nation company and the location of the transaction. Samsung will most probably ignore. Which is best as you probably signed your rights away at some point. But you can still try and if a sympathetic court goes along then there is the fun of trying to collect on the judgment. You can create mischief if dedicated to your mission.

But no attorneys. Too expensive and this advice comes from a real live lawyer.

Samsung would probably simply ignore a small claims court summons and not even show up. If the judge rules a default judgement, good luck trying to collect it imo.

On XDA forums there is one user who was blocked from calling Samsung from their home number. Something about his s8 Plus order not being shipped out despite calling early or something and getting run around with backorder or the like.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear op. Samsung has the worst CS I’ve ever encountered. I don’t even bother after my experience with them.

The only bad one I've had with them was getting them to replace the band on my Gear S2. You might recall they had defective bands. They never did call me back. They had to "look into it" further lol. Yea a rubber wristband. I ended up just going on Amazon and ordering one for $8

I've also had bad experience with Tmobile too regarding my Note 7 refund to the point I was ready to get the attorney general and local media involved in it. At least with Tmobile you can get a live person on Tforce.

I think I will order from tmobile next time based on all the bad stuff with CS from Samsung. That way I can deal with the carrier if there is a problem with my phone.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm just going to buy Note 8's and return them until they either give me my money or my phone back. I have three stores that carry them near where I work. That will hold me over for 2 months, and cost Samsung a lot of money.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, exploring legal options is going to cost you more than the accessories are worth, it doesn't pay. Fight with CS more if you want, but how valuable is your time? Yes, everyone wants to "stick it to 'the man'" or in this case a large corporation.

Yes, you may be owed the refund. However, if you had followed the process provided instead of trying to be cute "to save them money" by combining the shipment, you may not be in this predicament.

zoomis

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had good CS experience dealing with Samsung about phone issues but their promotion department is the absolute worst. Finally got resolution by writing a complaint email. Never assumed they'd open or read it, but my problem was taken care of.

They did want the promotional items back in my case as well. No getting around it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm so sorry this happened to you, OP. As Mooncatt suggested, I too would recommend contacting the Better Business Bureau. It shouldn't take three months for you to get a resolution. Hope things work out for you - keep us posted!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm just going to buy Note 8's and return them until they either give me my money or my phone back. I have three stores that carry them near where I work. That will hold me over for 2 months, and cost Samsung a lot of money.

I wouldn't try and do "vengeance" like that. You're the one that will lose in the end. Even if you cost them some money it will be nothing in the grand scheme and you're only causing yourself issues.

Plus stores will only take so many returns before you're denied then you're stuck with a phone again. Best bet is to go through proper channels like the BBB and their customer service.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't try and do "vengeance" like that. You're the one that will lose in the end. Even if you cost them some money it will be nothing in the grand scheme and you're only causing yourself issues.

Plus stores will only take so many returns before you're denied then you're stuck with a phone again. Best bet is to go through proper channels like the BBB and their customer service.

I would do that but I've paid $1000 for a phone i haven't owned in three months, a phone that will be outdated in six months. What if in 3 months they tell me that they are not going to refund me but send the phone back instead? I'm not going to take that risk after there has been no movement and escalation for such a long time.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would do that but I've paid $1000 for a phone i haven't owned in three months, a phone that will be outdated in six months. What if in 3 months they tell me there not going to refund me but send the phone back instead? I'm not going to take that risk.

I still don't see how doing what you said would help or do anything except cause you more time and possibly money since stores don't just allow unlimited returns ... especially of the same item.