Don't buy US Unlocked Note 8 if you care for quick security updates

monil

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: PSA. Don't buy US Unlocked Note 8 if you care for quick security updates

Not cool. Antagonistic and rude. The OP is talking about updates to unlocked phones, no one equates those to carrier controls. Also, the OP explained what the solutions are not feasible for them. I'm not sure what the point of your post was but it feels like trolling to me.

You can give your opinion, I've given mine. My original argument has been this post did not deserve to be PSA. It is basing PSA based on some "assumptions" and not facts.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

You can give your opinion, I've given mine. My original argument has been this post did not deserve to be PSA. It is basing PSA based on some "assumptions" and not facts.
Just a reminder, I asked a moderator to remove the PSA from the title, and they did. Anyway, the more I learn, the more my assumptions are in fact substantiated as facts. I still recommend that if folks want a Note 8, they will be better off getting a network locked one, paying it off and then requesting an unlock. They'll get updates more quickly.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
This is where Apple shines as far as updates go. If google can do it why can't all the other manufactors do the same with updates what a scam.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Just a reminder, I asked a moderator to remove the PSA from the title, and they did. Anyway, the more I learn, the more my assumptions are in fact substantiated as facts. I still recommend that if folks want a Note 8, they will be better off getting a network locked one, paying it off and then requesting an unlock. They'll get updates more quickly.
I bought the Verizon version and it is factory sim unlocked.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you understand the actual process. Apple submits its updates for testing and approval to each carrier. Once it gets approval from the carriers it then pushes the updates. It's all done in the background; users never see, the "sausage being made." Also, Apple does not send out monthly updates. If only does yearly OS version updates, and only pushes of "dot" updates when it finds a major bug. Which usually happens after it pushes out a version update.

Finally, Apple only supports one OS version (the latest) and it only has a few devices. When a new version of iOS is released, it stops sending out updates for earlier versions. The carriers only have to deal with Apple for ALL iOS devices. Where as Android is on a variety of devices made by a variety of OEMs. The carriers have to deal with multiple versions of Android made by several different OEMs. The OEMs, themselves have to support several devices as well as different versions of Android.

Like somebody said previously, it's the fracturing of Android that causes these issues not necessarily the carriers or to a lesser extent the OEMs.

really clear explanation. Thanks

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Unlocked here in AU is on January update......but I don't really care nor do I really care about Oreo. All is working just fine so why mess with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non