Smart lock doesn't work.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
An update on this. Though I have reset my location numerous times when at home Smart Lock eventually fails. It is not worth it even bothering with if not reliable. As I stated previously, the repeatability of GPS is not close enough to whatever the circle of error allowed by Smart Lock. I can see this when at home by just observing my location on Google maps. The location indicator is all over the place, and often not even on my particular home. I would guess it could be plus or minus 100 feet or more based on what I see on Google maps. I have a long, narrow house that is about 75 feet from front to back and at the moment I am sitting in the very front of the house and Google maps shows me at the very back of the house or in the backyard. I always have it set to High Accuracy mode.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Here is what I have observed with Smart Lock. I, too, have my home set as a trusted location. If I leave my home for a while, say, a half hour or so, and return home, Smart Lock works at home again. It will continue to work at my home for a period of time, somewhere between 8 and 12 hours (I haven't been able to narrow it down further). After that period of time, I start having to unlock it with my PIN or fingerprint again. I'll then have to continue to unlock my phone until I once again leave my trusted location (home) for a while. But when I return home, Smart Lock again recognizes my smart location and will not require me to unlock it for that 8 to 12 hour period of time, after which I will have to leave the trusted location again for a half hour or so to get it to start working again when I return home. This cycle is repeatable for me.

So to summarize, it appears that trusted location may be designed to only work for a limited period of time before having to leave that trusted location, then return to it, for it to begin working again.

ch5220

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The smart lock on both my phone and my wife's N8s stopped working months ago. I thought the oreo update might fix it but it still only rarely works when we're at home, and we've both set trusted locations at different spots all throughout our house. It is extremely frustrating, particularly for my wife since her work security settings won't let her use a pattern unlock so she has to put in a six digit code every time she picks up her phone at home.

Ricanxd

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I just went through my menu and it's not there anymore, I was wondering why it kept asking for my pin at home.
That sucks because it worked fine for me, this started yesterday.
I don't even know how long I've had this issue. Only noticed it because my watch was off, so my phone was no longer connected to a trusted device.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Well today Smart Lock Trusted Places is working and it's back on my phone, so it was gone for 2 days. Not sure what app puts it there in the settings. Funny thing is my address is already there.

Dessicator

May 17, 2012
Visit site
This feature absolutely sucks A$$! It only works for me about 5% of the time.
The screwed thing is, I want to have long complicated passwords but I can't because I have to type them in every time I log in.
Google you suck!