Google Software Issue - Downloads Stuck at 100% and Other Related Issues...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
**July 24th Update**
After a few months of living with these annoying device behaviors detailed in this thread, hearing the same issues from many other Samsung (and Pixel!) owners, I finally took a different approach.

I've considered exchanging my phone, but horrid experiences that T-Mo customers have had exchanging their phones, getting really funky devices in return for their pristine phones, really gave me pause. So did many posts of other Samsung owners that DID exchange, or DID sent their phones in for "repair" only to have the exact same problem surface within minutes, hours, or a day or two.

Well I exchanged mine a week ago and I am living in a blissful world of owning an N8 that works PERFECTLY!! Plus, maybe this is actually a new device, or it's a stellar refurb - but it's totally perfect. At one week now, I'll call this a "fix".

So, I needed to come back to post so that others that have these problems and have been on the fence like I was, might pull the trigger a little sooner than I did. Maybe they would get the same result. I sure hope so!

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.

-bk

All of the symptoms listed immediately below are still plaguing Samsung phones, and some other phones as well including the Pixel 2/XL. New reports continue on both the Samsung and Google product forums.

The "fix" for most of us as of now is to turn off Bluetooth and reboot - keeping BT turned off. Of course, BT is central to how many of us use our phones so this isn't an acceptable "fix". Some owners have had their phones repaired and replaced to no avail. It's a software thing.

This update is offered to assist people who are just discovering this issue on their phones, to make them aware of the BT toggle work-around and to inform them that while Google and Samsung are aware of this issue, there's no evidence that they are working to resolve it.

Over a month ago I got an update to the Google app - things went to hell after that. Here's what I've seen...

- Applications download to 100% and stop. Sometimes the app will finish installing in 5-20 minutes, otherwise a reboot or restarting the Google Play Store app needs to be done to jump-start the install.
- App badges do not get refreshed - they show the wrong values.
- Can't send photos in MMS. I am using Textra, but the native app also can't send photos. If I use the "Legacy" MMS setting in Textra, I can get it to work.
- The "Download Updates Manually" function is non-responsive when tapped. It might respond in an hour or so.
- Third party alarm clock apps (e.g. Alarm Clock Xtreme, others) have delayed alarms, but the native Samsung alarm works.
- Uninstalling apps does not complete - it stays on the "Uninstalling" dialog. Need to reboot.
- Blue Light Filter no longer works to the sunset/sunrise setting.

I have tried every tip, including clearing cache, changing permissions, disabling the Google app, the Play Store app and many/many other "fixes". None have worked for more than a day. I had done factory resets 3 times, then I got the Oreo update, followed by 2 more factory resets in the following weeks. I run a minimal number of manually installed apps and I never restore data or settings after resetting - it's always done new for each reset.

Some things that appear to be related to this problem:
- Many of us are, or recently were, Beta testers for the Google app. I am no longer a beta tester, and I am running the latest version of the non-beta Google app.
- This set of problems can follow users even when they change phones.
- Google's ecosystem of apps (Google app, Play Store, etc.) appear to be involved
- Samsung phones are more often affected, although it could be b/c there's more of them
- The issue "sometimes" goes away entirely when not near home wifi networks, running 100% on LTE. But note: turning off wifi and running 100% on LTE at home DOES NOT fix the problem.
- Apps installed directly from Samsung install just fine
- When these issues have surfaced in the past 18 months, they tend to appear at the same time across the population of users, and go away around the same time.

To be clear, this is not only a Note 8 issue - phones across the board are affected - but I wanted to post here since it's such a good community.

Both Google and Samsung have reported that they are not the cause of these issues - pointing to each other as the cause.

-bk

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google Software Issue - Downloads Stuck at 100% and Other Issues...

Maybe some bug with latest Monthly Security update with T-Mobile?

I'm on AT&T and use Google Maps Beta and no issues... no problems updating apps in recent days or sending pics through MMS to co-workers. The fact you did factory reset would lead me to believe it has something to do with the Monthly update.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Three days ago I got an update to the Google app
-bk

What do you mean by, "the Google app"? Are you talking about the Google Play Store app?

Try clearing data. If deletes all app data not just the cache.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Thanks everyone...

- Not on Oreo yet.

- By "The Google App" I mean the app entitled "Google". Many people think a recent update to this app is the issue. Some wipe cache, others dump data, others disable and go back to an early version. I've done all of that. I've done the same with Google Play Store and other Google apps. No dice. I've even wiped the phone - 3 times - which certainly does away with any issues with cache and other stored data. Again, no dice.

- The issue started for me (and many others) right after the last Google app update.

- Researching this over the past few days it appears that this issue surfaces for "some" users around the same dates: June 2017, Sept 2017, Feb/March 2018. Reports really seem to cluster around those dates. It leads me to believe that it's related to a specific release of a common app.

Google has reached out to me to resolve this issue, so maybe there's hope. I will certainly report back if there's a fix.

tbroumley

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site

I'm facing these exact same issues. Note 8, Verizon, started early March, likely after Google update.

Notifications for a lot of apps are extremely late. Tried adjust battery optimization, rolling back the "Google" app, clearing cache on the device itself, and pretty much every I can find. Not have timely updates is upsetting

Apps download to 100% but wont install. The only thing I find that fixes it is to force close the Play Store and restart it.

Can't decide if I want to wait for Oreo or try a reset.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

If you feel it's the Google app... have you tried the Beta for Google app? I forgot to mention besides using Maps beta I'm also using the Google app beta (I had been using it back when I had LG/G2/G3 so it automatically installed those Betas when I got my Note 8.

If you delete the Google app completely (or disable it if it's one you can't delete), do you still have issues mentioned?

If you factory reset the phone, even with latest Security patch in the OS, your Google app is the old version when you got the phone... so for it to still have issues after a reset with no other software, sounds like the Monthly security messed it up and probably have to wait for the next update and hope it fixes. I doubt Google will really resolve it unless it effects more than one type of phone.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

I'm facing these exact same issues. Note 8, Verizon, started early March, likely after Google update.

Notifications for a lot of apps are extremely late. Tried adjust battery optimization, rolling back the "Google" app, clearing cache on the device itself, and pretty much every I can find. Not have timely updates is upsetting

Apps download to 100% but wont install. The only thing I find that fixes it is to force close the Play Store and restart it.

Can't decide if I want to wait for Oreo or try a reset.

Well, I did the reset - 3 times - nada.

I am curious, have you tried sending a text with a picture attached? If not, try it now. You may find (if we are experiencing the same issue) that it never indicates that it has sent. But, just like the install, it actually happens, it's just the notification of completion that seems to be hung-up.

I've tried every trick I can find - even those that have "worked" for others. But, if you dig deeper in the related threads, invariably, the poster comes back to report that the "fix" really didn't "work".

Last edited:

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

If you feel it's the Google app... have you tried the Beta for Google app? I forgot to mention besides using Maps beta I'm also using the Google app beta (I had been using it back when I had LG/G2/G3 so it automatically installed those Betas when I got my Note 8.

If you delete the Google app completely (or disable it if it's one you can't delete), do you still have issues mentioned?

If you factory reset the phone, even with latest Security patch in the OS, your Google app is the old version when you got the phone... so for it to still have issues after a reset with no other software, sounds like the Monthly security messed it up and probably have to wait for the next update and hope it fixes. I doubt Google will really resolve it unless it effects more than one type of phone.

Being in the Beta is one of the possible issues for those of us who have this problem. The vast majority of us have been in the Google beta, Maps beta, or some other beta. Getting out of the program doesn't help.

Deleting the Google app has been done, numerous times, along with rolling back versions and dumping cache/data. All of these are the first line fixes - none of them work.

Certainly could be the last monthly security update - agreed. But, this problem didn't surface for over a month after I received that update.

Pretty challenging!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

One more update:

Google reached out to me for a private conversation. Unfortunately, although I appreciate the effort, they brought no new understanding - just the same "fixes", ending up the the ultimate: "well you could do a factory reset".

Done that 3 times.

Since Google couldn't help, they transferred me to Samsung. Also got a very friendly person, also limited in their understanding and also with limited suggestions - ending in suggesting a reset.

Would have been great if either organization took the initiative to escalate this to the Development teams.

One last thing that I was able to confirm today - something that others over on XDA have pointed out - when I am at work, off my home net and running off T-Mo's LTE, everything works perfectly. All day long. As soon as I use my phone on my home wifi - nada. Then, I turn my home wifi off and run off T-Mo's LTE from home - still nada. Again, this has been reported by others as well. Spooky.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

So when off wifi it all works. On wifi it gets wonky? Who's your home service... AT&T U-Verse?

You're last comment does remind me... I don't have the issues you mention above but the one issue I have... when I wake up I see the What's App notification and when pull down for more info I see it's paused at backing up chats. I use to toggle the wifi to fix but I just leave it cause once I leave home and out of wifi range it finishes. Such a little glitch it didn't come to mind.

And I think I only noticed it after last security update? So maybe a wifi issue after the update?

tbroumley

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site

Well, I did the reset - 3 times - nada.

I am curious, have you tried sending a text with a picture attached? If not, try it now. You may find (if we are experiencing the same issue) that it never indicates that it has sent. But, just like the install, it actually happens, it's just the notification of completion that seems to be hung-up.

I've tried every trick I can find - even those that have "worked" for others. But, if you dig deeper in the related threads, invariably, the poster comes back to report that the "fix" really didn't "work".

I don't have issues sending texts with pictures per se, but I just noticed today that some of my texts get stuck at sending and then send later.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

So when off wifi it all works. On wifi it gets wonky? Who's your home service... AT&T U-Verse?

You're last comment does remind me... I don't have the issues you mention above but the one issue I have... when I wake up I see the What's App notification and when pull down for more info I see it's paused at backing up chats. I use to toggle the wifi to fix but I just leave it cause once I leave home and out of wifi range it finishes. Such a little glitch it didn't come to mind.

And I think I only noticed it after last security update? So maybe a wifi issue after the update?

Thanks for your input. The wifi affect on this issue is weird, for sure.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

I don't have issues sending texts with pictures per se, but I just noticed today that some of my texts get stuck at sending and then send later.

Yup - my texts don't send right away either most of the time. But it's the attached picture that chokes every time.

All of these issues, one way or another, have to do with notifications:
- Download completion
- SMS send, especially with attached picture
- Change in icon badge status
- Request to check software status

Due to the fact that most are reporting severe battery loss, the phone may be cycling trying to complete notifications - but that's just a guess.

There are many people complaining of this issue, across various phones. The recently discovered wifi involvement is intriguing. Bottom line, there's no fix for most of us as of now.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
BTW, if you use Textra for texting, you can select "Legacy" as the SMS system in use, and texting, plus attached images work.

I plan to just live with this until the next round of updates. Maybe Oreo will fix it.
Some report that once you get this issue, it sticks, even if you switch phones. I think it's a Google thing, related to your Google ID. But who knows...

MarvBear

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I have tried everything I could think of, even changing to Open DNS on my router. I don't think this is just a Note 8 problem. I also have a Note 4, and 3 Note Tablets of various years. ALL of them are experiencing this problem. I don't want to pay data line charges for 2 of my Note tablets thru Verizon, and the 3rd is wireless only. I take hours and hours to download updates and them be installed via the play store.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
MarvBear...
Agreed - this is def not a N8 thing. In fact, one of the forums that has been the most helpful with this issue is the S8 forum. Many people report this issue across every popular platform - phones and tablets from various manufacturers.

Interesting that you focused-in on your router. Many of us have noticed that the issues arise on our home wifi, and then disappear when exclusively on LTE. I noticed this to be the case every day recently - but not today. I can't complete an install now and I am at work, where it's been working just fine for the last week. WTF?

Plus, you are a VZW customer. Many of us noticed this issue being a T-Mo issue. Even that doesn't play out with any reliability. Also thought it was a current/former Google Beta tester issue (via Google ID), but there are plenty of people that don't fit that profile. But, regarding your Google ID, these issues follow users (Beta testers and otherwise) even when they switch to new hardware. Quite perplexing.

Best I can tell, there are notification synchronization/communication issues across the Google ecosystem tied to Google ID. All errant behaviors seem to have that as a common denominator. That's my assessment, and the assessment some others over on XDA.

When Oreo drops, I plan to upgrade, do a factory reset, and manually install my short list of apps. If the problems still persist at that point, I will just declare defeat and go for a long walk.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
THANK YOU for starting this thread. Subscribing. I am on Verizon with a Note 8 and I have the exact issues described starting around a week ago (maybe longer). I have all of it. Apps download to 100% and do not install. Texting hangs with 3 dots on Textra but texts and images ultimately get delivered. Badge notification issues. Won't list them all but everything that was described I have also.

I tried all the fixes - again wont list them all. I factory reset and it worked for about an hour and came back. I factory reset again and as soon as the phone initial setup was done I immediately turned off auto-update of apps. Then 1 by 1 - very slowly and purposely - I added updates and new apps. I actually got almost everything installed including the Google app update (did that one first actually to see if I can replicate immediately after a factory reset) and that went fine. All was fine. Then last night BAM it was back. INFURIATING.

As a 8 - 10 year Android user (more or less - but a long time), I have never seen this behavior. And my Note 8 was fine until a few weeks ago and I made no major changes. After reading this thread, I am going to go with a conclusion that it is indeed not me or my phone. This is a Google and/or Samsung issue (and not VZW or T-MO given its happening on both carriers). I will watch this thread but I am going to live with it until it gets fixed somehow. Nothing I can do after 2 factory resets and after reading this thread I am done %%^$^&-ing with it.

Force stopping Google Play Store under App settings - OR - disabling the Google app in app settings are the only fixes I know about. Hopefully this gets fixed with Oreo. I do believe this is not a forever issue. May be days or weeks, but at some point life will return to normal on my phone.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to say - welcome to the group.

If force-stopping GPS and disabling the Google app works for you - that's great. They do not reliably work for most people with this problem, and certainly not for me.

Happy to see that this is a helpful post. But I wish I had something positive to offer!

I am active on the Google Product Forum, you can find more info there and on XDA. But, no fixes.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I went back and uninstalled Google Duo because it was the last app to update before the issue resurfaced. I then restarted my phone. Downloaded a random app and it worked. Reinstalled Google Duo. It worked. Now all is working. This is NOT a likely fix but probably due to a simple restart of my phone. We will see when it comes back. Grasping at straws.

What is the link to the Google Product Forum and XDA thread, if you don't mind me asking. I would like to monitor all 3 threads.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey