Google Software Issue - Downloads Stuck at 100% and Other Related Issues...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...
Could it be the tower to which I connect? Sounds crazy!
But, over this past weekend, I did nothing to my N8 - no new apps, no updates, no new settings. Zip.
But, everything has been working perfectly since yesterday afternoon, at home!

What is at work here?

*Update 2 hours later*
Nothing's working now. Nothing's changed, not even my location.
As I said before, what's at work here?

Last edited:

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Back again to report new info...
Now that I've had this issue for a while, I've learned that I can get everything to work if I:

- Turn off Location services.
- Turn off Wifi
- Turn off Bluetooth.
- Reboot

Boom - everything works, every time. I wanted to try this over time prior to reporting back, as this issue has a way of surfacing regardless of what the user does. This reliably overcomes the problem.

Of course, if you want to use your phone normally - like you want to use maps, Wifi and Bluetooth, turning them back on causes the problem to return.

Clearly, there is a condition created in the software based on location. If every avenue of determining location is disabled, a state is achieved that allows for proper functioning software.

So, who owns the issue? My bet is Google, as their location services seem to be at the center of this issue.

Last edited:

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how you do it. I am really glad I left those problems behind. I never had a problem with any Note phone until the exact problem you're having. But in my opinion it is a Samsung problem because pure Android works flawlessly. In any event the issue was driving me crazy.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey Adam,
I know, I must be a freak'in saint.

But actually, not really. Many of the phones I've owned have had some kind of glitch I've had to live with. Ironically, it's the Pixel and pure Android I was escaping when I bought the N8 last fall. Your experience is great and that's a good thing. Unfortunately, it's not the case for everyone. Also ironically, there are Pixel owners complaining of this same issue.

Bottom line, if you've got a good thing hold onto it! Enjoy it!

Chester_Doodle

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
I too have the problems described here. I have a Note 8 and have been searching for answers since the first of the year. Somewhere along the line I read a post that said to disable the Google app. I have done it many times and every time it works. Disable Google and everything works. Enable the app and the problems return.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Chester,
Sorry to hear that you are in the affected community of Android users. Some basics to know:
- It's not just the N8, many other phones from Samsung and even Pixel owners have this problem
- It's a software problem, and it's likely a Google software problem
- Disabling the Google app is a well-known "fix", but it's not really. For most of us, having the Google app installed and working means that we can use Google Assistant, Android Auto, and many other features/apps we consider essential. Disabling that central Google app is deemed not acceptable.

The latest discovery is that everything works "fine" if you just disable the Location Service, Wifi and Bluetooth. But obviously, few would want to do that, as it cripples so many things we want to do with our phones.

This issue could be resolved if Google took the lead on this and put some energy into it. But, they don't see it as their problem, despite what I and many others have tried to convey.

If you've got the time to read this thread, and the related threads on XDA. Google Product forums, and the Samsung Community, you'll get the whole picture. There really isn't any "fix" that works without crippling the phone.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
One more further refinement...

I just did another Factory Reset in anticipation of the new T-Mo Oreo update - the one that fixes the issues from the previous update halted on 5/3.

This time around, with nothing but the baseline Samsung and Google software installed, and absolutely no data or settings migrated from the previous install (the only way I roll), I have isolated this issue, for my phone, down to just Bluetooth. I discovered this before the update. But since the update, there is no change.

Previously, I needed to turn off Location Services b/c I had set up SmartLock based on location - my home. This time, no settings were made following the reset, and it's purely Bluetooth at the center of this issue.

BT off, everything works perfectly. When I turn it on, all of the issues described above are in play. When I turn off BT again and reset, I am back to everything working fine. Just can't use BT.

*Edit* - If I am away from home, all is well. If I am within my house, the issues arise. Turning BT off, fixes it.

Still, I have no idea if it's Samsung or Google software, or Samsung hardware to blame. I called Samsung to get a replacement phone and their process requires that I send my phone in for "servicing". No way. T-Mo will replace it, but the Rep said that they can't vouch for the condition of the phone they will send to me as it's a refurb.

So, like my Pixel XL before this, I'll just hang with an expensive phone that has issues no one can fix.

Last edited:

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
on my note 8, all of a sudden the Google app has become my phone's kryptonite. if I try typing in the Google quick search toolbar widget, it locks up. if I open the Google app to access my Google news feed with my cards, it locks up. if I switch to the Google home launcher, it locks up. and I get prompted that "Samsung home experience isn't responding" or "system UI isn't responding." I often have to reboot to unfreeze my note 8 following these moments. outside of Google, my phone is running fine. but the moment I try to do anything Google app related, it's basically insta-freeze. it's incredibly annoying as I use Google search all the time. anyone else having this particular issue??

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Is the problem tied to your particular Google account? If you factory-reset and then set up with a different Google account (at least temporarily for test purposes), do you still see the problem?

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Is the problem tied to your particular Google account? If you factory-reset and then set up with a different Google account (at least temporarily for test purposes), do you still see the problem?

I'm really hoping to avoid having to go thru a factory reset. I don't understand why all of a sudden the Google app would be basically making my phone crash when it previously had zero issues.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I am unsubscribing to this thread but here are my closing remarks. If all else has failed and there is no other option, and if you really want this fixed, and completely as a last resort, create a new Google Account, new Samsung Account, and factory reset your phone, and setup phone as a completely new device without importing anything from the old phone, with your new Samsung and Google account info. At that point, you are no different than John Doe off the street buying a new device, and given that most folks do not have the issue, you're probably fine unless it is a hardware issue.

Yes you will need to re-purchase apps. But if it costs you $25 for 20 apps, it is what it is.

I feel like this issue will go on forever. I think its some sort of Google / Samsung issue tied to a user account for the select lucky few. This is the only remaining idea I have.

I switched to a non-Samsung phone and it went away. But what I describe above would have been my next option.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hope you see this before your go!
Thanks Adam.!

I only update this post in the event that someone else might benefit from something I learn. I do the same on the Samsung community and the Google Product forum. I agree with you, it's not likely there will be a fix for this. I have a simple work-around that is OK for me.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
not sure how or why, but all of a sudden yesterday everything started to work smoothly again. I was literally preparing to do a factory reset yesterday, but the problem mysteriously fixed itself. Google app and all extensions of it working smoothly without causing any glitches or system/Samsung UI errors. I've been testing it pretty heavily since yesterday and everything seems A OK now. I'm truly confused, but happy obviously. Hope that those suffering with Google issues have the same luck soon.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Another update in the first post.
Thank you for all your detailed posts on this matter. I guess it's unclear whether it was a hardware problem, or a software problem somehow tied to your IMEI and possibly your Google/Samsung/carrier accounts--or even a problem that just coincidentally got resolved after the exchange. In any case, glad all's well now.