This article says it all about OS updates

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, I update to Oreo a few weeks ago in my note 8, finally broke down and did a FDR. It's about time consumers get the right to refuse updates on their working phone. I don't have time to spend a day setting up a phone, some of us are adults with full time jobs and don't need to waste precious time off setting up a phone that worked perfect before updating to Oreo. I am a little beyond pi***d.

This article says it all, a FDR should not be needed after a OS update, it's poorly written software. I suspect it's set up this way on purpose, working phone's don't create big sales for new released phones. It's about time people are not forced to update to the new software, or at the very least be able to revert back to the original OS. BlackBerry allowed this, nice feature, new software didn't work good, go back to any official released OS. Yes, I know you can root your phone to prevent forced updates, but that's ridiculous to have to root your phone to do that. I've noticed all the complaint since the Oreo update on the forum, sad, note 8 was a perfect phone until the update, hopefully the FDR fixes the problems, if not, I have no idea what I'll do.

Anyway, good read, and end of my rant, I had to just vent

https://m.androidcentral.com/you-sh...y-software-so-why-do-we-need-reset-our-phones

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
great post.

been there. said that. actively fighting my Oreo update now. planned obsolescence. and the issues get blamed on everything but the updates themselves.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This actually came from the PC world

When installing a major system update, enthusiasts generally prefer doing a clean install to start from what's basically a blank slate so there's less risk of potential issues caused by conflicts.

You can actually use Smart Switch to make a backup and then once the reset is done, restore the phone to the point where it roughly was before the reset. I prefer setting it up to a new state but it's there.

Should you NEED to? No, and I reckon yearly software releases have bogged down the quality of software releases as of late. I remembered getting the Fall Creator's update and getting constant BSODs in Forza until a couple of updates later.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
great post.

been there. said that. actively fighting my Oreo update now. planned obsolescence. and the issues get blamed on everything but the updates themselves.
Exactly, it's never the OS update. It's obvious that OS updates mess phones up on the forums. Posts are generally positive before the update, people begging for the update, and then after the update the posts change to how the update screwed the phone up.

What we gain from OS updates is usually minimal and almost always create problems, and FDR doesn't always fix the issues.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Exactly the reason I'm putting off my Oreo update for as long as possible, several more weeks or months, even. I need to be able to record calls and apparently that's been botched by the Oreo update. In addition to that, the missing individual text notifications (yeah, there are workarounds but I shouldn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to make my phone work the way it did before the update) is a major PIA.

I never get major updates as soon as they are released (when my phone says it needs to update) because of all the potential issues. I just read the forums to find out all the stuff the update broke, and hope I can hold off the update until the issues are fixed in another update. Which reminds me, I need to reboot into recovery and clear the cache to remove the update that is waiting to install so that it won't auto install, even though I never check that box when deferring the update.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Unless I installed the update via Odin, I've never done a clean install on a OTA OS update. The most I've done is wipe the system cache.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
OS updates in the past have caused major problems and headaches for many, that's a given. Nougat was a seamless update for me and this Oreo, couple of issues cropped up relating to notifications which got totally corrupted... but fixed, battery life... which seems to be stabilizing and a few other minor things that have been corrected. I do a cache partition clean prior to and after the OS install. I DETEST doing a factory reset... absolutely hate doing this! All in all, the Note 8 has been the BEST phone I've ever used and am hoping the battery holds up under heavy business and personal use with no social media use.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm right there with ya OP. My wife just updated her VZW Note 8 and she's had nothing but problems (translation, I have had nothing but problems :) ) with apps not working right or being reset yada yada. She did a FDR and is still having issues. Of course the first thing out of her mouth was "can you reset it back to the old software?" It got me thinking, why can't we? I know it's not that simple, but it shouldn't take 6 months to get the latest OS, and a release behind at that, only to be problematic. IF this was my first go round with update issues I'd brush it off as a fluke, but it happens over and over again.

Android is a great OS, but it's a bit of a mess in some ways. Switching to the Pixel 2 helped alleviate some of my frustrations, but we'll see how it handles P when it is out in a few months.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
My Note 8's haven't had any problems since the updates. They worked great before and continue to now. I did do a cache wipe for the sake of it. It really does depend how the phones are set up.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I think that article is a bit lame, I have 2 Note 8 and the spare one I did a factory reset first, then flashed Oreo via Odin and ran latest backup, the other one that is my daily driver I waited for the OTA from Vodafone, let that install and then cleared cache and restarted, neither of the two have had any problems

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Yep. Touche. The Oreo update for Samsung has been a flop in my opinion. More issues than I can ever recall with an android update. Could have something to do with how it interacts with Samsungs new 9.0 UI.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I understand some get the update and have no issues, but according to the forums your the lucky ones. I also did a cache wipe, after I was still having issues I deleted and reinstalled the app having issues, what happened after that, those apps worked, then another app starting acting up that was working fine, so that's when I decided a FDR was needed.

Just allow us to choose to update the OS, and give option to go back if there are issues. It's that simple

In developer options, I found this option. Will this prevent the new OS from being installed on your phone.
37d75a8e154e7b40341c1f9646030e1c.jpg

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This article is lame and from my point of view is made by a consumer who doesn't really know how these things work behind the user interface. Which is basically true for anyone who uses the 'I paid X much for this, it shouldn't have the same issues as a cheaper one!'. News flash, Rolls Royces get flat tires like a Toyota does.

No single OS in the world will satisfy the writer then. There are times that iOS users also require factory resets after updates. Windows and MacOS too. And those are for OS that get it direct from the makers. With Android in the US you have carriers altering core functionality of the OS itself just to charge you more.

Basically the demand of 'not needing to do a factory reset ever' is an impossibility.

However, I understand the part where you are forced to update the OS for some reason. I am not sure if it's a carrier thing but I remember that it sort of was. You have to disable automatic checking of updates in settings as soon as you turn on phone.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I understand some get the update and have no issues, but according to the forums your the lucky ones. I also did a cache wipe, after I was still having issues I deleted and reinstalled the app having issues, what happened after that, those apps worked, then another app starting acting up that was working fine, so that's when I decided a FDR was needed.

Just allow us to choose to update the OS, and give option to go back if there are issues. It's that simple

In developer options, I found this option. Will this prevent the new OS from being installed on your phone.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180420/37d75a8e154e7b40341c1f9646030e1c.jpg
I think that those with update problems of the exception to the rule here. As with all things, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. There are maybe 10 -15 users reporting problems. That's a very small percentage of the hundreds here who haven't reported a problem.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I think that those with update problems of the exception to the rule here. As with all things, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. There are maybe 10 -15 users reporting problems. That's a very small percentage of the hundreds here who haven't reported a problem.
Let's not forget the ones that don't report on the forums.

Either way, the easy fix is not force the updates and let user revert back to original OS if need be. Is as easy as that

Thomasrope

May 20, 2017
Visit site

I totally agree. I'm sure the vast majority of Note 8 users (myself included) have had zero issues after the Oreo update. I can sympathize with those having problems and I don't want to minimize the pain they are feeling, but they are the ones posting in this forum to vent or request help, not the thousands of other users who are unaffected by the update.

Ambreen Mustafa

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
hmmm... interesting article but I've updated to oreo.. even recieved April security patch. everything is pristine! which apps specifically? like I use at least 8 social media apps. and I have two sets of accounts of fb and whatsapp (I have dual sim model). it maybe placebo but I actually think battery life is better

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It can happen with any OS but it seems to happen less with things like iPhone/Pixel phones in terms of needing a full FDR.

Samsung piles a lot on top .. things can go wrong. Carriers force push these updates out since they want people on the latest especially if they spent the time doing it.

Sure updates are for new things in the OS and features but also there are security patches / loopholes that are fixed. This is why they don't allow "rollbacks" with the OS since that would be counter-productive. If you don't like how Samsung works with the carriers and such on it the best bet is to get another phone. You seem to like Blackberry and they make Android phones so why not get them? Or you could always grab an iPhone.