Beware screen repairs

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Last summer, I broke the screen on my Note 8. I have Squaretrade insurance, so had it scheduled to go in for the fix. But before I made it in, I dropped it in knee deep water trying to take pictures of our dogs swimming in the lake. Was kind of worried, with the cracked screen. But once the water cleared and I found it, there was no issue. Never missed a beat.

A few days ago, I got wet again for the first time after the repair. Not deep water, 2' max. Figured no big deal based on last years experience. Wrong. Screen never came on again. Made some vibrations when I'd press the power button, but only for a few minutes. It turned into a brick after that. Started shaking the phone and water was coming out of it trough the bottom of the back cover. A lot of water. So I figure when they replaced the screen, they did not do a good job of resealing it.

It's off to squaretrade at this point. I'm interested to see if they can save it and, if not, what options they'll give me. If the Note 10 was out, I'd have probably just jumped on one of those. But sporting my old S7 Edge for now. If they do fix it, I may run it through a dunk test once I get it back. I'm around water a lot, so it's important to me.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested to see if they can save it
If they say they can, don't accept it. (After a day of deciding, 2 days of shipping, and who knows how many days in their warehouse before it gets looked at, the damage has been done, and they'd have to replace everything but the frame (which they wouldn't).

what options they'll give me.
Probably another refurb. Which may, or may not, be sealed properly.

If they do fix it, I may run it through a dunk test once I get it back. I'm around water a lot, so it's important to me.
That's your best bet, fixed or replaced. Take it out of the box, make sure all the seals are in place, put it into a foot of water (the kitchen sink will do) for 5 minutes, then see if any water drains out. If not, you're probably good to dry it off thoroughly (let it sit for an hour after you wipe it off), turn it on and set it up.

If water drains out, don't even bother, just contact them again - for a refurb that's actually been refurbed. (And let them know that if failed a foot of water for 5 minutes before you even turned it on. [Turning it on at that point could fry the motherboard - by not turning it on, you're giving them the chance of just having to redo the sealing.])

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Good ideas. I just worry that it'll cost me another $99 deductible. Or more than one, depending on if any of the refurbs are sealed. I'll have to chat with them to see if it's guaranteed to be water resistant when they've been repaired or replaced by Squaretrade themselves. You'd hope so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez