Will copying my data after a factory reset copy a virus?

racertron

Jul 5, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys I have a Samsung galaxy Note 9. After suspecting that I had a virus I had factory reset my phone and after that went through the android setup process. I had made sure that I did not copy my data by using the 'do not copy' button. However when I reached the home screen I have a notification saying to finish setup which says it involves 'copying the data, seting the wallpaper, and more'. Will allowing android to finish the set up copy applications which may of had a virus on it or will it download a clean version from the play store. Thank you.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you're using the Android restore options, yes, everything downloaded will be a 'clean' version from the Play Store and personal data that might be backed up to your Google account.

racertron

Jul 5, 2020
Visit site
By android restore options do you mean downloading a backup made from before I did the factory reset?. I made sure I had not done that yet I get a notification to complete setup which says 'Finish setting up your phone, copy your data, set wallpaper and more'. Is this the same a restoring a full backup or is it downloading apps that were linked to my google account?. Thanks. I just want to be clarified that it downloads the app like if I was downloading it from the google play store rather than copying it from when it was previously installed on my phone before the reset (where the virus could have been)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
By android restore options do you mean downloading a backup made from before I did the factory reset?. I made sure I had not done that yet I get a notification to complete setup which says 'Finish setting up your phone, copy your data, set wallpaper and more'. Is this the same a restoring a full backup or is it downloading apps that were linked to my google account?. Thanks. I just want to be clarified that it downloads the app like if I was downloading it from the google play store rather than copying it from when it was previously installed on my phone before the reset (where the virus could have been)
Restore from previous saved data, if its copying it most likely mean your new data you will make

Yeah that's what I mean a back up before factory resting, so you should be good, Your welcome!
Let me give a little advice if you will since you doing clean install back up stuff every other month going forward from smart switch on comupter and Samsung cloud so you can can multiple to choose if thev occasion ever arises.

Last edited by a moderator:

cganesh

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
i keep most data and pictures on the card and back data up monthly to computer. when backing up phone, I choose the option to not back up card so it doesn't send so much to cloud.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't like using a card for data with client info. Even some of my pics are private. I know sd card can be scrambled or whatever the right jargon is but then can't use it to transfer anything anywhere.

I use an SD card to back up data then copy to hard drive then lock up the SD card. I should do it more often but it is a pita to remove case and get the card holder to come out. Of course at some point I lost the card puller and a paper clip is a little thick.

Now I usually use an otg drive for backup to avoid the hassle of pulling the card holder.