Best Buy and Samsung out of Stock of 512's Blue

SpaceJamzz

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
you can still order them though...this is message I got when I tried to add an unlocked one to my cart...

"All of our pre-orders have been claimed, but we'll email you when yours is ready for shipping or pickup.
Only available for shipping"

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That, or they didn't make enough. Samsung does not play the constrainment games like Nintendo or Apple. Feedback from two Samsung reps is demand for the 512GB is WAY over estimates. That said, both were vague as far as overall preorders for the 128 and 512.

Could be Good News! 512GB demand is five times higher than expected! Bad News! Overall demand for both versions combined is less than expected.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That, or they didn't make enough. Samsung does not play the constrainment games like Nintendo or Apple. Feedback from two Samsung reps is demand for the 512GB is WAY over estimates. That said, both were vague as far as overall preorders for the 128 and 512.

Could be Good News! 512GB demand is five times higher than expected! Bad News! Overall demand for both versions combined is less than expected.
I've been saying this, but a few said I was off my rocker. I said that Samsung probably expected higher sales for the 128, so produced accordingly.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I would think it's because of the 8gb the higher demand. Really, 512 is overkill for most of us. the high price is what steered me to the 6gb as well. I don't need 512 gb ram. They should have made the 128gb 8gb also or kept the 6gb model same as last years Note 8 price and sell an 128gb and 8gb ram for $1000, a 6gb ram 64gb storage for $940.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
As of now I can still order the purple unlocked 512 GB from samsung direct and still get the 24th delivery date. Whereas if I select to order ocean blue it's delayed a bit. So it depends, some combinations (color/carrier) might have higher demand than others.

e0ed8d750a4894a4833b3648bcb3709f.png

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Or maybe a lot of people are indeed pre-ordering the Note 9

Would not be surprised if they allocated < 10% of planning for the 512 version. Delays could be comically long and a glut of 128 versions. Writing seems on the wall. Not good for Samsung, since appears overall preorders might not be stellar and the one in higher relative demand apparently constrained out of the gate.

Keyword being Relative, since obvious the overall demand would be higher for the 128. Point being the percent of overall demand mix. Could be 30% though ordering the 512.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Most likely Samsung predicted that the 128GB model would be the best seller, and they underestimated the demand for the 512 model. I would still bet that the 128 model IS the better seller, BUT the 512 may be selling better than they expected. :) Don't worry they will make more, then you can slap down your 1200 simolinas!

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Would not be surprised if they allocated < 10% of planning for the 512 version. Delays could be comically long and a glut of 128 versions. Writing seems on the wall. Not good for Samsung, since appears overall preorders might not be stellar and the one in higher relative demand apparently constrained out of the gate.

Keyword being Relative, since obvious the overall demand would be higher for the 128. Point being the percent of overall demand mix. Could be 30% though ordering the 512.

The solution would be 'loaner' 128s as placeholders until the 512GB model's production could be ramped-up. I saw, over the past several years, Note aficionados clamoring for more storage and I guess that the hue & cry fell mostly on deaf ears. This all began when Samsung emasculated the Note 5 in stripping that device of the micro SD card slot.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The solution would be 'loaner' 128s as placeholders until the 512GB model's production could be ramped-up. I saw, over the past several years, Note aficionados clamoring for more storage and I guess that the hue & cry fell mostly on deaf ears. This all began when Samsung emasculated the Note 5 in stripping that device of the micro SD card slot.
I don't want a loaner, I'll just keep using my note 8 and wait for the 512 model if need be. Setting up the phone is a pain in the arse, don't need to do it twice with a loaner, specially when I have the note 8 to use.

I ordered at 2:30am on preorder morning, so I'm guessing I'll be ok anyway, Verizon does go in order of when ordered.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't want a loaner, I'll just keep using my note 8 and wait for the 512 model if need be. Setting up the phone is a pain in the arse, don't need to do it twice with a loaner, specially when I have the note 8 to use.

I ordered at 2:30am on preorder morning, so I'm guessing I'll be ok anyway, Verizon does go in order of when ordered.

Oh dear