Unlocked vs. Carrier Galaxy Note 9

Echoes

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I know this is an age-old topic, but the responses and experiences can change quickly with new devices and new policies being in place.

I went ahead and ordered an unlocked Note 9 to be used with Verizon, but I've never had an unlocked device before and am wondering if I should cancel my order and get the branded one.

People who have had unlocked devices (and specifically, recent Samsung unlocked devices), what have been your experiences with the ups and down of having an unlocked phone? Missing features, timeliness of updates, etc.?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I currently use a factory unlocked note 8 on sprint. I preordered the factory unlocked note 9 128 gb and will use on sprint too.

I love the unlocked version. No silly sprint apps that are wasteful and cdont apply to me. I load what I want on it. I can move it to another carrier if I choose.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I love the unlocked version. No silly sprint apps that are wasteful and cdont apply to me. I load what I want on it. I can move it to another carrier if I choose.

Exactly... I always disable T-Mobile’s apps when I purchase Android phones from them, and now I won’t have to worry about that with the unlocked version.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I guess it depends on what you need from your phone and the carrier and what you use it for. I use my quite a bit for work and of course for home and I don't feel like I'm missing anything

perdant01

Aug 16, 2018
Visit site
I have an unlocked s9+ that I use with Verizon everything works just fine, with the exception of wifi calling. visual voicemail VOlte etc all work. I have the unlocked note 9 on pre order.

cvgjava

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using note 8 unlocked on att. ordered note 9 ATT. on unlocked , at least with att, you lose HD calling, wifi calling visual voicemail and enhanced messages. to me the HD calling is most relevant as there is a noticeable quality difference and I spend lots of time on calls. I'm happy with att and no plans to change. I will disable the att bloatware. security updates have been much slower vs my att branded S8 for personal use. I'm one person but outside of resale (which can be a big factor) I'd not get another unlocked model.

Echoes

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Cheers everyone, thanks for the feedback! Still more or less on the fence, but thinking of sticking with the unlocked one. I may leave Verizon soon, and I feel like you can use 3rd party apps to fill in most of the missing features. Seems to be very carrier-dependent as far as whether going unlocked makes sense.

I have an unlocked s9+ that I use with Verizon everything works just fine, with the exception of wifi calling. visual voicemail VOlte etc all work. I have the unlocked note 9 on pre order.

Good to know. How about HD calling and mobile hotspot? Do those work as well?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I went with unlocked because I'm on tmobile and hopefully gets me better resale and trade in value being unlocked. I don't have to worry about missing wifi calling.

One thing to note is when I bought the unlocked V20 and loaded up my SIM card it downloaded the Tmobile bloat apps.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's not how it works on Samsung, at least if I recall correctly on the unlocked US S9+ it didn't download any T-Mobile apps when I inserted T-Mobile sim.
I went with unlocked because I'm on tmobile and hopefully gets me better resale and trade in value being unlocked. I don't have to worry about missing wifi calling.

One thing to note is when I bought the unlocked V20 and loaded up my SIM card it downloaded the Tmobile bloat apps.

anon(762744)

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
That's not how it works on Samsung, at least if I recall correctly on the unlocked US S9+ it didn't download any T-Mobile apps when I inserted T-Mobile sim.

This is correct, I had the Factory Unlocked Note 8 and putting a Verizon SIM card only put you on the Verizon network. I didn't have any Verizon bloatware, luckily I could just download them on the playstore but the Visual Voicemail app couldn't be downloaded so I had to download some third party Voicemail application. If you think you will stay on T-Mobile I would just buy the T-Mobile version to ensure everything will work properly.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This is correct, I had the Factory Unlocked Note 8 and putting a Verizon SIM card only put you on the Verizon network. I didn't have any Verizon bloatware, luckily I could just download them on the playstore but the Visual Voicemail app couldn't be downloaded so I had to download some third party Voicemail application. If you think you will stay on T-Mobile I would just buy the T-Mobile version to ensure everything will work properly.

Unlocked phones works great on T-Mobile, all carrier features including WiFi calling and VoLTE work out of the box with no issues and without having do anything. Main reason I stick with T-Mobile along with great prices on unlimited data obviously. I hate carrier specific phones with carrier firmware and I'll always stay with the carrier which is most compatible with unlocked phones or bring your own phone. At this moment T-Mobile is best for bring your own phone and I take my business there. Obviously network is important but where I stay all carriers have great network.

intense55

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
If you go with an unlocked phone, you will not be able to travel and keep your number with Verizon. One of the requirements with Verizon for using their travel plan is that it must be a Verizon phone. Verizon provisioned phones like my Blackberry Keyone would not work while traveling, at least with my grandfathered unlimited data plan. My Verizon Iphone on the same plan worked fine.

I too wanted an unlocked version (hate messages +) but the fact that people would not be able to reach me when i was overseas was not worth it. I ordered the Verizon version.:(

Echoes

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If you go with an unlocked phone, you will not be able to travel and keep your number with Verizon. One of the requirements with Verizon for using their travel plan is that it must be a Verizon phone. Verizon provisioned phones like my Blackberry Keyone would not work while traveling, at least with my grandfathered unlimited data plan. My Verizon Iphone on the same plan worked fine.

I too wanted an unlocked version (hate messages +) but the fact that people would not be able to reach me when i was overseas was not worth it. I ordered the Verizon version.:(

That's useful information. I wasn't aware you couldn't use Verizon's international plan overseas. On the bright side, with an unlocked phone you can just use an international sim card, which is what I plan to do.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Could you still use your device in Mexico and Canada? I visit Canada at least once a year, and if Verizon doesn't let you use an unlocked phone in that country, I would have to get the Verizon model. I'd purchase it through Samsung this time because they actually let you upgrade every year unlike Verizon.

JREwing

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I played it safe this time by getting a pair of tmobile versions simply to make sure I was getting Band 71. Trading two unlocked Note 8's.

mcross72

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I have an unlocked Note 8 on Tmobile now but recently came from Sprint with my Note 8. It came from Samsung directly. As other posters reported. I didn't get any carrier bloat when connecting with Tmobile or Sprint. With Tmobile everything works as usual. Wifi calling which is most important to me, & visual voicemail. Where with spring non of the standard apps worked. No wifi calling & no visual voicemail for Spring. I'm going to be bumbed if the 600mhz extended range doesn't work on the Note 9 unlocked because I pre-ordered the 128 unlocked version as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch