Turn the Note 9 into a laptop

Aug 28, 2018
Visit site
I have a desire to see if I can use my note 9 as my only computer. I do many presentations at work and frequently need to take notes while I am presenting. So I will need a keyboard, monitor and mouse while doing presentations. I am wondering if I can pair something like a "Samsung chrome book" to the note 9 using the dex feature? I love chrome books but they just don't have the storage and horse power I need for work, but I love the light weight and battery life. If I could pair them up this would be the best of both worlds. Google searches haven't produced any info.

Thanks

Aug 28, 2018
Visit site
Good suggestion, but where it draws its power from the USB, some reviews claim low power devices don't have enough juice to power it. And the note 9 would be in the low juice category. That's why i'm thinking something with its own power source.

vlfifthdawnlv

May 6, 2013
Visit site
You'll need a portable monitor. I researched this topic for some time. There aren't any laptop or tablet that has hdmi in. Only a select few old ones do and they're all gaming laptops which is extremely bulky.

Then there's the question of whether or not the USB port can power the portable monitor and if it'll go into DeX mode but i haven't tested it.

Asus has a portable monitor with built in battery coming out soon, but no official release date

Xxtoxicskittlexx

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
For those interested in turning your phone into a laptop, I have found another device that would fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately it isn't for sale yet but being built in china. Here is a link if you want to follow there progress. Also they are advertising a 299 price point.
https://miraxess.com/miraxess-products/mirabook/

Just looked this up and preordered on a whim. This thing looks really promising. With the 512gb and 8gbs I want to do as much computing on this thing as possible. Thanks for posting this link

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Is this the monitor you are referring to:

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MB16AP/

Might work for what would fit my needs.
Now if I can find a small self powered keyboard.
I really with Samsung would have went into production with the "Dex Book" they was working on.

Not trying to argue here, I'm just curious as to why you would find a Galaxy Tab S4 too unwieldy, but be open to lugging around a monitor that's 2x as heavy as the tablet and twice as wide/long? Not to mention a separate mouse and keyboard to boot.

I'm missing something here.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
What would be the difference as to just having the files sync through cloud? Once you hit save, it syncs. So I can open the file where I left off on either my PC or tablet.

For me it is all about keeping all my data in one place. The phone. and then using the data where every I need it. Home, work, travel, etc.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I do want a Tab S4 but there is no need at all, except, sometimes my 12.9" iPad Pro is bigger than I want. I can make the Note 9 fill the gap for a smaller device but that Tab S4 does look nice.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Your issue would have been solved by getting a Tab S4.
The Tab S4 imo is the best method of using Dex. I had one and returned it thinking I'd be able to just use the Note 9 for Dex but I still find that to be a bit clunky to set up, so I might end up with a Tab S4 again down the road.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I do want a Tab S4 but there is no need at all, except, sometimes my 12.9" iPad Pro is bigger than I want. I can make the Note 9 fill the gap for a smaller device but that Tab S4 does look nice.
The Tab S4 is really nice honestly. If you can get over it not being an iPad it's really the best tablet on the market right now. Very, very underrated

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The Tab S4 imo is the best method of using Dex. I had one and returned it thinking I'd be able to just use the Note 9 for Dex but I still find that to be a bit clunky to set up, so I might end up with a Tab S4 again down the road.

Depending on your usage pattern it has enough juice to completely replace a laptop for word processing and powerpoint creation/presentation and you can do with a powerful gaming level desktop at home and use cloud to access all your files.

MS 365 at like $6 a month also solves the having access to all your files everywhere dilemma IMO. Just set it to sync an offline copy onboard to the tablet and phone whenever OneDrive detects a change.

Aug 28, 2018
Visit site
I just saw on Miraxess facebook page that the first 50 mirabooks have been built and are starting on mass production.
Then they should start shipping in November. I'm not sure if I will be an early adopter without some reviews. But at 299 I might be willing to take a chance.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Why not DeX? I used one for a week on Note 8 and it was decent.
Apple BT keyboard & mouse (Lightning but lasts all day or more on a charge), power DeX hub thru 29W USBC and 23" HP monitor.
The new DeX should do better, as would Note 9.
There sounds like plans for SnapDragon 1000 to be ideal for this, or 855 next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress