iPhone user moving to Note 9

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Have my order for the Note 9 in under the device insights program. My wife will remain with her iPhone and Apple Watch, and we will still have an iPad and a couple of Apple TV's, the device insights discount finally gave me the chance to try out the Note line.

I will be downloading smoothsync to share an icloud calendar with my wife. I know that samsung phones can generate a url to share photos and videos, anybody have any suggestions for good messaging apps? I know sending pictures and videos through standard MMS is a non starter.. It will not bother me much (especially given Samsung's workaround), however I'd like to minimize the impact on my wife in losing iMessage to me.

Thanks folks, excited to try out a new device!

Any other suggestions for a smooth transition will be greatly appreciated! I think I will miss my Apple Watch the most!

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
It isn't like it used to be in the olden days. You can just send MMS via the stock app. Of course RCS is more robust. Google's messaging is a mess. Honestly, the best all-in-one messenger is Facebook (lite). It incorporates SMS and web chat, and has video chat built in. There are a million options, just do whatever she likes best.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm the only one in my house with Android, everyone else has Apple. I tried iphone 6s plus for a about 5 months, iOS just wasn't my cup of tea. For Facetime replacement, we use Google DUO. It works well on both iOS and Android. One of the reasons I prefer Android over Apple, its apps tend to play well with other OS's - Apple not so much.

For messenging I simply use Samsungs messaging App.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm the only one in my house with Android, everyone else has Apple. I tried iphone 6s plus for a about 5 months, iOS just wasn't my cup of tea. For Facetime replacement, we use Google DUO. It works well on both iOS and Android. One of the reasons I prefer Android over Apple, its apps tend to play well with other OS's - Apple not so much.

On this point is there any way to communicate with my kids iCloud email accounts via android? Looking for a messaging solution for them.

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
It isn't like it used to be in the olden days. You can just send MMS via the stock app. Of course RCS is more robust. Google's messaging is a mess. Honestly, the best all-in-one messenger is Facebook (lite). It incorporates SMS and web chat, and has video chat built in. There are a million options, just do whatever she likes best.
I was going to look into that, she has facebook and therefore facebook messenger. I do not have a facebook account but I believe I can still use messenger without it, I will look into that one, thanks!

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Some of that is partially the reason for me trying this.. I really have little to no complaints about Apple overall, I do believe they provide a great product. However, I do also see the strengths on the Android side that I am missing out on. I also see our family becoming more and more stuck with Apple's choices. I would like to keep some cross platform options so that if even my wife decides to move on from them someday (unlikely..) I can soften the blow.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
On this point is there any way to communicate with my kids iCloud email accounts via android? Looking for a messaging solution for them.

What is an iCloud email account?
Not familiar with that at all.

Truthfully iCloud is so closed asva system/solution - I found most devoted Apple users didn't really understand it well - it's extremely abstract. Near impossible to manage, you just gotta trust that it works and keep buying more space as it fills up.

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if you mean that they do not have a phone number but they use their email for iMessage.. I think nearly any other messaging app (whatsapp, skype, etc..) will allow messages to an email and/or username without the need for a phone number.

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
What is an iCloud email account?
Not familiar with that at all.

Truthfully iCloud is so closed asva system/solution - I found most devoted Apple users didn't really understand it well - it's extremely abstract. Near impossible to manage, you just gotta trust that it works and keep buying more space as it fills up.

This is true for me at least.. and I actually take the time to look into this stuff and it is still confusing, I think it does more than I was able/willing to utilize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty