09-08-2018 03:45 PM
100 123 ...
tools
    Hey, All,

After rooting and modding Android devices for the past Decade, it's nice to see that the OS has matured to a point where messing around with is isn't necessary like it once was to get the features I liked.

Starting with the Nexus line, I once thought that stock android was the way to go for pure power, and the Pixel predecessor (specifically the Pixel 2XL) also had me thinking that this device running 'stock' was the mother of all flagships...

Well - after checking out (and, in turn, pre-ordering the unlocked, blue 512GB Note 9), I now realize that the power and productivity aspect of the Pixel 2XL pales in comparison to the Note series...

Glad to be back!
    09-04-2018 06:30 AM
    Yip. "Stock" Android is a white elephant these days. Why would anyone want less features?
    Anyone who uses the word "bloat" is an *****. They really do need to try a modern OEM device.
    09-04-2018 07:26 AM
    I liked the BlackBerry launcher on my priv. it was pretty much stock Android but you could really dress it up with shortcuts and features from that launcher. dont have to but you can. like it enough I'm using it on my s9.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    09-04-2018 07:31 AM
    I loved my Pixel 2XL. It was fast and had a great flow to it, and I will probably get a 3XL eventually. IMHO the manufacturer skins provide great features for productivity and convenience, but the attempt to provide an overall enhanced user experience is often hindered by lack of speed and an overall sluggishness. TouchWiz was one of the worst, but from all indications it looks like Samsung has finally figured out a way to provide both speed and features. I'm sure that extra 2GB of Ram helps
    ihbsbA likes this.
    09-04-2018 07:39 AM
    I bought the Essential, running 9.0, to see what stock can be. Like it.

Does Samsung nag with notifications and dual set of apps and ecosystem on top of Google? Felt like it.

So I don't care for all the Samsung and preinstalled apps.
    Turned me off with the S8+ and Note 8 and going back to Note II, S7. Blackberry - PRIV, DTEK50/60, But none that I would call stock Android or flagship as I hoped.
    Always have had an iPhone including X.

Opening up Bixby button is welcome.

New Note 9 instead of iPhone X Plus and just couldn't leave Note line behind. The improvements to stylus sound great.
    09-04-2018 09:33 AM
    I always had stock Android and other non stock Android phones with me together. I still love stock Android and pixel, just sold the Pixel 2 XL not because I got the Note 9 but getting ready for Pixel 3. Same way I know why I like the Samsung and other OEM phones as well. For me one doesn't replace the other, I like them for different reasons and enjoy them both when using them
    dsignori and amyf27 like this.
    09-04-2018 09:57 AM
    Yip. "Stock" Android is a white elephant these days. Why would anyone want less features?
    Anyone who uses the word "bloat" is an *****. They really do need to try a modern OEM device.
    Well... I wouldn't go that far. I like the Pixel line simply due to security. Most people don't care for that but it is a big one for me. I have used Samsung in the past but the lack of bug fixes / patches is my one gripe about them. Otherwise the phones themselves are fine.
    09-04-2018 11:53 AM
    I've used Samsung for years, can't stand stock Android.

Most of the new features that Google adds Samsung already has, so I see little benefit from getting the latest version of Android faster. I still get security updates almost monthly for 3 years.
    anon(3641385) and dellaster like this.
    09-04-2018 12:31 PM
    I'm definitely not a fan of "stock" to get the functionality of the Samsung experience you would have to download a bunch of 3rd party apps.
    09-04-2018 01:00 PM
    Well... I wouldn't go that far. I like the Pixel line simply due to security. Most people don't care for that but it is a big one for me. I have used Samsung in the past but the lack of bug fixes / patches is my one gripe about them. Otherwise the phones themselves are fine.
    Had my note 8 for 11 months from release. And had 11 monthly security / bug patches. Not sure what more they could do?
    09-04-2018 03:41 PM
    Had my note 8 for 11 months from release. And had 11 monthly security / bug patches. Not sure what more they could do?
    Sadly that isn't the case for all notes. Varies from unlocked to carrier branded and whatnot.
    dbareis likes this.
    09-04-2018 03:42 PM
    Sadly that isn't the case for all notes. Varies from unlocked to carrier branded and whatnot.
    For sure. Always going to be the case when they sell millions and millions and millions of devices across the globe with feck loads of variations.
    Only go on my own experience though.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    09-04-2018 03:59 PM
    I now realize that the power and productivity aspect of the Pixel 2XL pales in comparison to the Note series...
    Find a brightly overlit location with something in such deep shadow that you can barely see details. Snap a shot of it. The Note 9 has nowhere near the dynamic range the picture processor (yes, a separate chip) gives the P2 and P2XL. If you don't care about dynamic range, and you like Touch Wiz (which is the first thing I've always gotten rid of on a Samsung phone), enjoy.
    09-04-2018 04:03 PM
    Security updates pist-Oreo were suppose to be easier and less / not dependent upon carriers. But talk of moving to quarterly updates to allow more time, which makes sense unless urgent need arises.
    09-04-2018 04:05 PM
    For sure. Always going to be the case when they sell millions and millions and millions of devices across the globe with feck loads of variations.
    Only go on my own experience though.
    Likewise. I was just commenting to explain how not everyone who doesn't use one simply isn't being a hater or screaming bloatware. There are other reasons .
    09-04-2018 04:21 PM
    Stock Android is nice, sure, but it's also boring, like iPhone. It's seamless and it "just works", but it's also boring and not very productive. The only thing I enjoy about "stock" Android is the quick updates. But I'm willing to sacrifice monthly security patches for the productivity and power with the Note 9. I'm also really glad that Samsung didn't add a notch for no reason.
    09-04-2018 04:54 PM
    Stock Android is nice, sure, but it's also boring, like iPhone. It's seamless and it "just works", but it's also boring and not very productive. The only thing I enjoy about "stock" Android is the quick updates. But I'm willing to sacrifice monthly security patches for the productivity and power with the Note 9. I'm also really glad that Samsung didn't add a notch for no reason.
    I agree with you.... Can you just humor me and list a few of the productivity perks that you're talking about?

Thanks.
    09-04-2018 05:13 PM
    I'm with you. I loved my Pixel 2 XL, but as an experienced user of Android phones, I am not overly concerned with security updates. I have never gotten any malware on any of my devices, ever. And I don't know anyone who has used an Android phone who has gotten one either. I'm sure they must exist somewhere. I have just never seen one. So if I get a security update a couple of months late, I am not overly concerned.

Other folks who are concerned about this stuff have legitimate concerns. I just do not
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    09-04-2018 07:47 PM
    I loved my Pixel 2XL. It was fast and had a great flow to it
    Same here. My experience was smooth.
    09-04-2018 08:30 PM
    All the features of the S Pen = productivity perks. I gave a PowerPoint presentation last week using my Note 9 and S Pen and it was phenomenal.
    09-04-2018 08:38 PM
    I got snookered into "pure stock Andriod" by one of my favorite YT tech heros. His name shall remain anonymous. After I found I was not a fan of "less is best" (should have already known that), I handed it off to my husband and bought the S9+. Was supremely pleased with my decision. Hubby, not so pleased with my decision :o I thought he'd get over it when he learned the phone. That was 5 months ago and he still whines about how much he hates that phone. When the Note 9 came out and I knew I was meant to have THAT phone I called Verizon to see what they would do for quarter century customers with no late payments. They're taking the Pixel back and calling it even and have us $300 to go towards the Note 9. I my mine that's a good deal. If it's really not, PLEASE dont' ruin it for me! :o
    09-04-2018 10:21 PM
    So far I've been happy with Samsung's Launcher and it's my current preference on the Note 9.

I have bought and used Nova Prime to see how it functioned and that's good for further customisation too.
    mgbosshogg and kevinpleasants like this.
    09-04-2018 11:29 PM
    Stock android still needs good hardware too. Used Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 9 last time, both are crap devices and stock android can't save them.
    09-04-2018 11:35 PM
    I'm not interested in stock Android, I'm interested in oem apps that are pleasant to use, are reasonably regularly updated with more features, and keep the data secure.

Blackberry used to be that, until they went stock Android - yucko!!

Samsung does it just right for me. 👍
    09-04-2018 11:43 PM
    I like the way OnePlus does it, almost stock with some unique features here and there...

I use Nokia 8 that runs Android One BTW.
    dsignori likes this.
    09-05-2018 07:56 AM
100 123 ...