With the Note 9,i now realize that 'Stock' android had me brainwashed.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey, All,

After rooting and modding Android devices for the past Decade, it's nice to see that the OS has matured to a point where messing around with is isn't necessary like it once was to get the features I liked.

Starting with the Nexus line, I once thought that stock android was the way to go for pure power, and the Pixel predecessor (specifically the Pixel 2XL) also had me thinking that this device running 'stock' was the mother of all flagships...

Well - after checking out (and, in turn, pre-ordering the unlocked, blue 512GB Note 9), I now realize that the power and productivity aspect of the Pixel 2XL pales in comparison to the Note series...

Glad to be back!

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yip. "Stock" Android is a white elephant these days. Why would anyone want less features?
Anyone who uses the word "bloat" is an *****. They really do need to try a modern OEM device.

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I liked the BlackBerry launcher on my priv. it was pretty much stock Android but you could really dress it up with shortcuts and features from that launcher. dont have to but you can. like it enough I'm using it on my s9.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I loved my Pixel 2XL. It was fast and had a great flow to it, and I will probably get a 3XL eventually. IMHO the manufacturer skins provide great features for productivity and convenience, but the attempt to provide an overall enhanced user experience is often hindered by lack of speed and an overall sluggishness. TouchWiz was one of the worst, but from all indications it looks like Samsung has finally figured out a way to provide both speed and features. I'm sure that extra 2GB of Ram helps :)

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I bought the Essential, running 9.0, to see what stock can be. Like it.

Does Samsung nag with notifications and dual set of apps and ecosystem on top of Google? Felt like it.

So I don't care for all the Samsung and preinstalled apps.
Turned me off with the S8+ and Note 8 and going back to Note II, S7. Blackberry - PRIV, DTEK50/60, But none that I would call stock Android or flagship as I hoped.
Always have had an iPhone including X.

Opening up Bixby button is welcome.

New Note 9 instead of iPhone X Plus and just couldn't leave Note line behind. The improvements to stylus sound great.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I always had stock Android and other non stock Android phones with me together. I still love stock Android and pixel, just sold the Pixel 2 XL not because I got the Note 9 but getting ready for Pixel 3. Same way I know why I like the Samsung and other OEM phones as well. For me one doesn't replace the other, I like them for different reasons and enjoy them both when using them

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yip. "Stock" Android is a white elephant these days. Why would anyone want less features?
Anyone who uses the word "bloat" is an *****. They really do need to try a modern OEM device.

Well... I wouldn't go that far. I like the Pixel line simply due to security. Most people don't care for that but it is a big one for me. I have used Samsung in the past but the lack of bug fixes / patches is my one gripe about them. Otherwise the phones themselves are fine.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've used Samsung for years, can't stand stock Android.

Most of the new features that Google adds Samsung already has, so I see little benefit from getting the latest version of Android faster. I still get security updates almost monthly for 3 years.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm definitely not a fan of "stock" to get the functionality of the Samsung experience you would have to download a bunch of 3rd party apps.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Well... I wouldn't go that far. I like the Pixel line simply due to security. Most people don't care for that but it is a big one for me. I have used Samsung in the past but the lack of bug fixes / patches is my one gripe about them. Otherwise the phones themselves are fine.

Had my note 8 for 11 months from release. And had 11 monthly security / bug patches. Not sure what more they could do?

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Sadly that isn't the case for all notes. Varies from unlocked to carrier branded and whatnot.
For sure. Always going to be the case when they sell millions and millions and millions of devices across the globe with feck loads of variations.
Only go on my own experience though.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I now realize that the power and productivity aspect of the Pixel 2XL pales in comparison to the Note series...
Find a brightly overlit location with something in such deep shadow that you can barely see details. Snap a shot of it. The Note 9 has nowhere near the dynamic range the picture processor (yes, a separate chip) gives the P2 and P2XL. If you don't care about dynamic range, and you like Touch Wiz (which is the first thing I've always gotten rid of on a Samsung phone), enjoy.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Security updates pist-Oreo were suppose to be easier and less / not dependent upon carriers. But talk of moving to quarterly updates to allow more time, which makes sense unless urgent need arises.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For sure. Always going to be the case when they sell millions and millions and millions of devices across the globe with feck loads of variations.
Only go on my own experience though.

Likewise. I was just commenting to explain how not everyone who doesn't use one simply isn't being a hater or screaming bloatware. There are other reasons :).

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Stock Android is nice, sure, but it's also boring, like iPhone. It's seamless and it "just works", but it's also boring and not very productive. The only thing I enjoy about "stock" Android is the quick updates. But I'm willing to sacrifice monthly security patches for the productivity and power with the Note 9. I'm also really glad that Samsung didn't add a notch for no reason.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Stock Android is nice, sure, but it's also boring, like iPhone. It's seamless and it "just works", but it's also boring and not very productive. The only thing I enjoy about "stock" Android is the quick updates. But I'm willing to sacrifice monthly security patches for the productivity and power with the Note 9. I'm also really glad that Samsung didn't add a notch for no reason.

I agree with you.... Can you just humor me and list a few of the productivity perks that you're talking about?

Thanks.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you. I loved my Pixel 2 XL, but as an experienced user of Android phones, I am not overly concerned with security updates. I have never gotten any malware on any of my devices, ever. And I don't know anyone who has used an Android phone who has gotten one either. I'm sure they must exist somewhere. I have just never seen one. So if I get a security update a couple of months late, I am not overly concerned.

Other folks who are concerned about this stuff have legitimate concerns. I just do not

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
All the features of the S Pen = productivity perks. I gave a PowerPoint presentation last week using my Note 9 and S Pen and it was phenomenal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad