Push Notification Delay When Screen Off

tmieyal

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
Hello and hope all is well! On my Galaxy Note 9 push notifications are delayed when my screen is off, sometimes for as long as 30 minutes. Then, when I turn my phone screen on, all of the missed notifications come in at once, sometimes as many as 10 or 12! My Note 9 seems to go to sleep quickly when the screen goes off, and I do not receive push notifications. This totally defeats the purpose of wearing my Gear S3 watch since I have to keep turning on my phone screen to get notifications! I have used Samsung chat 4 or 5 times and tried everything the technicians have suggested to get this fixed, but still not working correctly. I am not running the App Power Monitor, reset all of my apps and have the settings as “high” or “urgent,” did a hard reset of my phone, etc. The notifications do come through, the apps are working, it's just that they are delayed when the screen is off. I have discovered on other forums that this has been a problem on other phones with Oreo 8.0 and 8.1. If this is a problem with Android 8.1 Oreo, who do I contact for a fix? I never had this problem on my Galaxy S7 which did not have Android Oreo, notifications came through immediately to my phone and then watch. My Note 9 already has received 2 software updates in the past 2 weeks, but still the problem exists with push notifications delay. Not sure who to contact to get this fixed, any help would be most appreciated!

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello and hope all is well! On my Galaxy Note 9 push notifications are delayed when my screen is off, sometimes for as long as 30 minutes. Then, when I turn my phone screen on, all of the missed notifications come in at once, sometimes as many as 10 or 12! My Note 9 seems to go to sleep quickly when the screen goes off, and I do not receive push notifications. This totally defeats the purpose of wearing my Gear S3 watch since I have to keep turning on my phone screen to get notifications! I have used Samsung chat 4 or 5 times and tried everything the technicians have suggested to get this fixed, but still not working correctly. I am not running the App Power Monitor, reset all of my apps and have the settings as “high” or “urgent,” did a hard reset of my phone, etc. The notifications do come through, the apps are working, it's just that they are delayed when the screen is off. I have discovered on other forums that this has been a problem on other phones with Oreo 8.0 and 8.1. If this is a problem with Android 8.1 Oreo, who do I contact for a fix? I never had this problem on my Galaxy S7 which did not have Android Oreo, notifications came through immediately to my phone and then watch. My Note 9 already has received 2 software updates in the past 2 weeks, but still the problem exists with push notifications delay. Not sure who to contact to get this fixed, any help would be most appreciated!

I have posted about this multiple times. I have delays in getting notifications from Facebook as well as text messages. Sometimes I don’t get my text messages for an hour and a half after they were sent even though my phones been on and being used. So aggravating!

tmieyal

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
Yes I did, thanks though. In fact, I've made 5 separate calls/chats to Samsung and they've given me 5 different solutions, none of which worked. Guess I'll call again!

tmieyal

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your similar troubles! It is incredibly frustrating. I used to really enjoy my Gear S3 watch, I would always receive push notifications instantly. Now it's useless.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your similar troubles! It is incredibly frustrating. I used to really enjoy my Gear S3 watch, I would always receive push notifications instantly. Now it's useless.

I contacted Tmobile a few times through chat...useless. Don’t know what to do. My issues are just with using the phone as I do t have the the gear 3.

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I too have this issue. Almost every time I turn on my phone I get an influx of notifications. It has been so frustrating. It never happened on my S 9+. I hope a fix is around the corner. Looks to me like it is a Samsung issue.

Now does this happen to you every time? Sometimes I received notifications normally, my phone sits in a dock at work and is getting alerts now. Then I'll pick it up in a half hour and it turns on a few roll in. Happens at home, work or on the road. Every app has fallen victim except texts and gmail. I haven't found any cause or situation that makes it happen.

Grrrr. :confused:

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I spent an hour at TMO yesterday and all they did was replace my SIM card. It hasn’t made a difference..didn’t think it would. So aggravated that in the morning I get text messages over an hour after they were sent. My FB msgs are delayed too but not as much. Guess another call or chat to TMO is in order...

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Did you check under the Battery and unmonitored apps section to let your apps use as much battery as they need?

Device maintenance, battery, scroll all the way to the bottom, unmonitored apps and add in the ones you are having notification problems with. This fixed the problem for me.

posservice

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I've got the same issue and it's not every application. I've checked thr app and permissions as well as better and background usage. Doesn't change.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Did you check under the Battery and unmonitored apps section to let your apps use as much battery as they need?

Device maintenance, battery, scroll all the way to the bottom, unmonitored apps and add in the ones you are having notification problems with. This fixed the problem for me.
I just checked that I don't see messages listed as an option. It just took me forever to get back here even after running device management. Then I got a pop-up telling me that an app was using a lot of memory. This is ridiculous I'm getting blank screens or spinning circles. It's worse now since they changed my SIM card

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Ugh... I don't have on light sensor for my screen I keep it about 35%. I do have blue screen filter on but it doesn't start for another hour and 15 minutes. Then why oh why has my screen been getting darker and then lightning backup. Something is definitely wrong I wish I kept my Note 5 :-(

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Ugh... I don't have on light sensor for my screen I keep it about 35%. I do have blue screen filter on but it doesn't start for another hour and 15 minutes. Then why oh why has my screen been getting darker and then lightning backup. Something is definitely wrong I wish I kept my Note 5 :-(

You having these problems even when connected to WiFi?

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
You having these problems even when connected to WiFi?
I'm almost always on Wi-Fi. But not just at home this is been happening other places as well. For instance I was just at Starbucks and was having issues there as well. Now I am home.. Same issues . I am so so aggravated I wish I kept my other phone

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Noticed this issue even on my S9 Plus. I have tried all the suggestions on this post and a few more on the S9 Plus section.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Noticed this issue even on my S9 Plus. I have tried all the suggestions on this post and a few more on the S9 Plus section.
What exactly is happening for you what is the issue. I need to call T-Mobile and I want to be able to give them feedback about other people as well. I don't know if this is a T-Mobile thing or a Samsung issue. But ticking me off that I traded in a Note 5 in perfect condition to have a glitchy note 9

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm on ATT. Had my phone next to me as I watched TV, quite for 30 minutes till I unlocked it and all hell broke loose with notifications.

voldejour

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been having this problem on my Note 9 from the beginning. It's a well known issue (at least among recent Samsung phones), and it was brought up multiple times at Samsung Community too - but of course Samsung won't do anything about it. The only solution that seems to work so far is to disable Android Doze via an adb command. It may be a little involved for some, but see the posts in the threads below if you are interested:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...tifications-not-working-while-screen-off.html
https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-pie/904647-notifications-delayed-stopped.html

androidTEC

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I found a working solution for this.

Go to battery settings. Go to „advanced settings“ (the three dots).
Now TURN ON „power monitoring“.
Go back to the previous site and scroll down to the end.
Choose „unmonitored Apps“. Scroll down to the end and choose „add Apps“.
Now choose the Apps with the delayed notification.

I hope this works for you. For me at works great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87