WiFi calling on Unlocked Verizon?

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

While looking around in Pie, I noticed that WiFi calling app is running in memory,

But there is no WiFi app In the list of apps and no indication it is functional.

Recall that WiFi calling is not allowed by Verizon on unlocked phones not from them.

Any thoughts on if I can make this work somehow?

37c45747b62a8eb71ceea9f69980d3a1.jpg

R

Attachments

• screenshot_20190317-081926_settings (1).jpg
    screenshot_20190317-081926_settings (1).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 25

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
is the deciding factor. Most phones will work on Verizon now, but if it's not from them, you don't get their wifi calling.
A poster claimed his unlocked s10+ does have wifi calling on vzw. This apparently shows they aren't opposed to it

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not Verizon, it's the manufacturer - if they implement it properly it works. But not every carrier does it the same way, so it works with some phones and not others. (It also depends on whether the phone is carrier-branded and unlocked or unbranded from the factory.)

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
It's not Verizon, it's the manufacturer - if they implement it properly it works. But not every carrier does it the same way, so it works with some phones and not others. (It also depends on whether the phone is carrier-branded and unlocked or unbranded from the factory.)

That doesn’t really sound right. The manufacturer is Samsung.. and the Verizon model that you get is the same, just with different software.

It is probably a combo of the Verizon OS build along with Verizon’s knowledge that the phone is unlocked from somewhere else...which they definitely know in their system.

R

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That doesn’t really sound right. The manufacturer is Samsung.. and the Verizon model that you get is the same, just with different software.

It is probably a combo of the Verizon OS build along with Verizon’s knowledge that the phone is unlocked from somewhere else...which they definitely know in their system.

R
If I remove the simm and do a system reset I still see no wifi calling option in my unlocked note 9 purchased at BB so it doesn't come from Sammy with that option baked in.

Provider must need to supply the software to make the system app work and VZW doesn't. I would think they would want to save the bandwidth and ENCOURAGE wifi calling?