When I rename a video file I have downloaded - the file immediately disappears!

Sophie007

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
I have a Samsung Note 9, with Android 10.

When I download a video (eg., from an email I have received), it goes to the "Download" folder within "Videos" of the Samsung "My Files" app.

If I choose to rename the video file, the video file immediately disappears from that "Download" folder!
Why?

I can still see the file under "Recent files", but searching the new file name turns up nothing.

In other words, when I search for the new file name in the "My Files" app, I get "No results found".
Again, this is true even though I can still see the file with the new file name under "Recent files".

So my questions are:
-Why does the video file immediately disappear from the "Download" folder in "Videos" when I rename it?
-How come a system wide search for the new file name returns nothing?

I am careful not to change the file extension, when renaming the video file.

Would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer regarding this.

Thanks!!
Sophie

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you download the video file, select it in My Files, then look at the file information -- what directory does it say the file is located in? The "Videos" category in My Files isn't actually a location -- the file manager is just grouping together all video files it can find on any directory of Internal Storage.

Sophie007

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Thanks so much for responding!!

When I click on details for the file I have downloaded, it shows the "path" as follows:

/Internal storage/Download/file name.mov

When I rename the file, the file disappears from that "Download" folder.
But the new file name is visible under "Recent files".

If I click on the "Details" for the file with the new file name (in "Recent files"), the path is the same (except for the new file name):

/Internal storage/Download/new file name.mov

But that file with the new file name is no longer in that "Download" folder, and a system wide search for that new file name returns no results.

So based on the "Details", the file with the new file name is still in the same place, but no longer visible, and no longer searchable.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to be sure, you're using My Files to rename the file, right? What if you move the file from /Download to some other directory like /Movies first, and then rename it there?

Sophie007

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I am using My Files to rename the video file.

Yes, you are right - if I move the file to another directory, like /Movies; and rename the file there - the file does not disappear after renaming.

But still, a system wide search for the new file name shows no results.

When I move the newly named file back to original place ( /Internal storage/Download/ ) - the file again is not visible in /Download; but only under "Recent files".
And as always, searching for the new file name yields no results.

Very frustrating!

Sophie007

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
I use the stock Samsung "My Files" app.
I go to "My Files", and at the top right hand corner, there is a search icon - where I input the file name.

The file with the original file name - will be found if searched.

But after I change the file name; - when I search for the file with the new file name - there are no results.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try going to Settings>Apps, select My Files, then Storage, then Clear Cache. Then try searching again.

Sophie007

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Thanks so much for taking your time trying to help.

I did that - clearing the cache - but still, I get no results when searching for the newly named file.

And I verified that the file is still in the "Movies" folder.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try also clearing the app data from the My Files app. Don't worry, that won't get rid of any important files.

Sophie007

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Hi!

Even after clearing the app data (and the cache) - same thing happens - when I try to rename the file, the file disappears from the folder it is in.

Sophie007

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Could it be that android 10 has a problem with .mov files?

I downloaded the same file on my Samsung Note 3 - but when the file appears in the "Download" folder of my Note 3, it shows up with a .mov.qt extension, instead of a .mov extension.

(The email from which I download the file only shows a .mov extension).

In my old Note 3, I have no issues renaming the video file, whether I keep the extension as .mov.qt, or whether I change it to .mov.

Interestingly in my Note 9, I can change the extension without causing the file to disappear; eg changing .mov to .mov.qt, the file remains in its folder.
But when I change the extension to .mov.qt in my Note 9 - the file does not play (though it does in my Note 3).

So maybe Android 10 does not know how to handle .mov files? -in contrast to my old Note 3?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a good point -- .mov files (typically from iOS devices) shouldn't be compatible with Android media players. Are you actually able to play them?

Also, try a 3rd party file manager app like File by Google, or Total Commander (both of which are free and ad-free).

Sophie007

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Yes, on my Note 9, I am able to play .mov files - if I can find them :)

But thanks for your time and your help!

I am going to take your suggestion and I am going to try a 3rd party file manager. I'll report back on what happens.

Thanks again!!

Sophie007

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Thanks so much for your help!
Problem solved!!

I installed "Files by Google", as per your suggestion. With this app, I am now able to rename a .mov file, without the file disappearing from its folder.

And "Files by Google" is also able to search and find renamed .mov files (but only if I rename it using the Google app), in contrast to the Samsung "My Files" app.

I guess there is some sort of a bug with Samsung's "My Files".

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Also in setting of my files its toggle on to show hidden files , make sure its not in one drive either if you converted it to that .

Sophie007

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Hey mustang7757!

Thanks for your suggestion!

I tried that; but still after choosing to show hidden files in the settings of "My Files" - a .mov file renamed by "My Files" cannot be found (no results).

Neither can "Files by Google" find the renamed file; unless I rename the file using "Files by Google".

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey mustang7757!

Thanks for your suggestion!

I tried that; but still after choosing to show hidden files in the settings of "My Files" - a .mov file renamed by "My Files" cannot be found (no results).

Neither can "Files by Google" find the renamed file; unless I rename the file using "Files by Google".
You sure the file name stick? You double check the folders in my files ?

Sophie007

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Yes, in "My Files" - if I rename the .mov file - it disappears from the folder its in (eg the Download folder).

But I do see the renamed file in "Recent files" - and when I click details - it says the file is still in the Download folder, though when I check again the Download folder, it's not there.

And if I search for the renamed file, I get "No results found" - even though I can see the renamed file in "Recent files".

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, in "My Files" - if I rename the .mov file - it disappears from the folder its in (eg the Download folder).

But I do see the renamed file in "Recent files" - and when I click details - it says the file is still in the Download folder, though when I check again the Download folder, it's not there.

And if I search for the renamed file, I get "No results found" - even though I can see the renamed file in "Recent files".
Interesting, in recent where it shows up long press it and tap 3 dots upper right corner choose show in folder , what does it show?