Edge is a gimmick? $100.00 price bump not worth it? Note 4 is a better device? Prove it Here.......

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
THIS THREAD IS FOR A DEBATE BETWEEN THE NOTE 4 AND THE NOTE EDGE ONLY...........

Ok, I am a proud owner of a Note Edge. I have read a ton of posts on this fourm about how the edge is a "Gimmick" or it's not worth the price or that it is not 64 bit so it is already outdated. Well let's here why you feel this way......I would like to read valid arguments, not just saying it's a gimmick, or the curved screen is much much easier to break than the note 4. I have challanged almost all the users that posted a negative comment and they reply with "it's a gimmick because it's 100.00 more" or "the edge screen has no dev support so it is useless". To me those are not valid arguments. The edge screen already provides a much much more fluid multitasking experience for the simple fact what ever is on the main screen stays there while I scroll and select on the edge panel or the night clock which adds value just sitting on my nightstand. Dev support will come.

So anyway, have at it. I'd like to get a really good discussion going about this. I think it would be a really good thread for those looking to buy the edge or the note 4.

Last edited:

boriqua2000

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Don't get the edge on sprint. The screen is faulty. It dims even if you don't have the auto brightness on. Sprint say its a feature but that is a lie so they dont have to replace the phone.

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Note 4 offers a larger screen, better battery life and is easier to handle/hold all while being $100 cheaper.

Furthermore, Samsung hasn't released one useful Edge panel since launch a few months ago. That's pathetic. Even the Samsung VR is getting new apps EVERY SINGLE WEEK!

Seems like an easy choice to me.

Joke Adema

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I find the note edge worth it because i am doing per example a game then i get a message and that comes only on the edge so it is not disturbing my playing the game

i am very happy with the Phone
you can also a clock on the edge with stay on for a while and use not much power from the battery

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Note 4 offers a larger screen, better battery life and is easier to handle/hold all while being $100 cheaper.

Furthermore, Samsung hasn't released one useful Edge panel since launch a few months ago. That's pathetic. Even the Samsung VR is getting new apps EVERY SINGLE WEEK!

Seems like an easy choice to me.

Larger screen? By .2. The human eye barely notices that little of a difference.

Better battery life? That is relative. I get 9 hours of use out of my phone. If you have no access to car charger or an outlet at all during the day, then yes I suppose the extra hour you get from your note 4 is worth it.

Easier to hold? That I have to 100% disagree with. Yes if you are holding the phone in your right hand perhaps. I at right handed and I use my left hand to hold the phone. I never hit the edge panel by mistake.

Gear VR? Seeriously? Who cares about a shoe box you ware on your head.....lmao. It's great if you bought a cell phone to sit in your room, but not much good for the actual use of the phone. The gear VR is the biggest gimmick of them all. Can you use it in class? While driving? Walking around the mall? At work? If I want to watch a movie on a 50" screen, I'll use my tv. I'd much rather use my cell phone EVERYWHERE. I can't believe you bring up the Gear VR....lmao.

Useful edge panels? Hmmmmmmm, ok. So what do you have to do to check football scores? News updates? Stocks? Check your calander? Oh yea, but do it while still watching a movie, or playing a game, or taking notes in s note with out stopping? Me I just swipe my edge screen.

--- Sent from my fantastic Note Edge--- "IT'S NOTE A GIMMICK, THEY JUST HATE US CAUSE THEY AIN'T US!!!!!!"✒✒

Last edited:

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 4 and LOVE IT, but ordered the Edge as well. I have a question: do all notifications come on the side screen or do specific notifications show up there while others still show at the top of the main screen?

Posted via the Android Central App

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 4 and LOVE IT, but ordered the Edge as well. I have a question: do all notifications come on the side screen or do specific notifications show up there while others still show at the top of the main screen?

Posted via the Android Central App

It's all up to you. You can select what notifications come up on the edge screen. All notifications come on the top notifications area as usual, but you can select ANY notification you'd like to appear or not appear on the edge panel.

--- Sent from my fantastic Note Edge--- "IT'S NOTE A GIMMICK, THEY JUST HATE US CAUSE THEY AIN'T US!!!!!!"✒✒

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Larger screen? By .2. The human eye barely notices that little of a difference.

Better battery life? That is relative. I get 9 hours of use out of my phone. If you have no access to car charger or an outlet at all during the day, then yes I suppose the extra hour you get from your note 4 is worth it.

Easier to hold? That I have to 100% disagree with. Yes if you are holding the phone in your right hand perhaps. I at right handed and I use my left hand to hold the phone. I never hit the edge panel by mistake.

Gear VR? Seeriously? Who cares about a shoe box you ware on your head.....lmao. It's great if you bought a cell phone to sit in your room, but not much good for the actual use of the phone. The gear VR is the biggest gimmick of them all. Can you use it in class? While driving? Walking around the mall? At work? If I want to watch a movie on a 50" screen, I'll use my tv. I'd much rather use my cell phone EVERYWHERE. I can't believe you bring up the Gear VR....lmao.

Useful edge panels? Hmmmmmmm, ok. So what do you have to do to check football scores? News updates? Stocks? Check your calander? Oh yea, but do it while still watching a movie, or playing a game, or taking notes in s note with out stopping? Me I just swipe my edge screen.

To each his own, obviously.

An EXTRA HOUR of on screen team is a lot throughout the course of a day--every day.

The Gear VR was just born and is getting much more support from Samsung than the Edge. The Gear VR just even got its own Milk VR app. Again, this trend shows that VR is here for good and is going to be supported.

The edge is cool, don't get me wrong, but still can't justify it over the Note 4.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
To each his own, obviously.

An EXTRA HOUR of on screen team is a lot throughout the course of a day--every day.

The Gear VR was just born and is getting much more support from Samsung than the Edge. The Gear VR just even got its own Milk VR app. Again, this trend shows that VR is here for good and is going to be supported.

The edge is cool, don't get me wrong, but still can't justify it over the Note 4.

Your argument makes no sence. An extra hour of screen on time is relative. My wife has a note 4, and I get much more.screen on time based on my usage. I have no issue charging my phone through out the day.

And the gear VR had apps being developed for it because with out apps it is 100% useless. Know one would buy it with out apps. The edge is useful just as it is sold. Milk music is owned by samsung, it's not 3rd party.

And the edge is hear to stay. There is NO EVIDENCE that Samsung is done with the edge. In fact it's the contrary. Releases in Europe. Releases for VZW, us cellular, etc. This is not a debate about the edge vs the gear vr. Not even close.

The bottom line is if you think the $100 difference in price is that crazy and that is is, then ok. But I am from the school of thought that if I am gonna spend 800 dollars on a pgone, I might as week spend 900 dollars and get more functionality.

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Your argument makes no sence. An extra hour of screen on time is relative. My wife has a note 4, and I get much more.screen on time based on my usage. I have no issue charging my phone through out the day.

And the gear VR had apps being developed for it because with out apps it is 100% useless. Know one would buy it with out apps. The edge is useful just as it is sold. Milk music is owned by samsung, it's not 3rd party.

And the edge is hear to stay. There is NO EVIDENCE that Samsung is done with the edge. In fact it's the contrary. Releases in Europe. Releases for VZW, us cellular, etc. This is not a debate about the edge vs the gear vr. Not even close.

The bottom line is if you think the $100 difference in price is that crazy and that is is, then ok. But I am from the school of thought that if I am gonna spend 800 dollars on a pgone, I might as week spend 900 dollars and get more functionality.

What don't you get about the fact that Samsung has not released any new and useful panels since the Edge's release? That speaks volumes. No?

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
What don't you get about the fact that Samsung has not released any new and useful panels since the Edge's release? That speaks volumes. No?

I think you can ask any owner of a Note Edge that that is not an issue for us because it was released with the most useful functionality included. News, weather, sports, stocks, browser favorites, quick dial panel, flash light, voice recorder, timer, hell even a ruler. Not to mention faster app switching and multitasking and smoother notification system

Edge panel development is not easy. You need to make a functional app, that can work in a small area. Juts because no new panels are there now does not mean they won't be.

The gear VR has new apps because with out apps, the gear vr is a paperweight. It is unusable with out apps. So of course samsung needs to focus on that right now. With out apps, they have a useless product.

The edge was released with many useful panels installed. The main function of the edge screen is faster and more efficient multitasking and less intrusive notifications. Your argument of "no new edge panels" is not valid because the edge is still a faster and more efficient multitasking device right out of the box, thus justifying the extra cost.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Spot on. I love this phone. Having all my apps on one tiny screen and notifications sent to it also is worth the additional $100 in and of itself for me. Have mine with Sprint and the phone has performed flawlessly.

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

glidersgalore

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The VR thing is cool, if you want one, you can make it out of cardboard from Google. However that was not the point of this post. I am left handed and hold my Edge in my right. I do not have a problem using it. The Edge panel is notifications, and app access. The ones out there work great. Can there be some more with improvements, sure. I have tales with a few developers who stated the issue is to how 5.0 will effect the apps that will work with the screen. I love how I can use the edge to make a call or check a message without turning on the screen. Can you do that with a 4, or any other phone?

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The VR thing is cool, if you want one, you can make it out of cardboard from Google. However that was not the point of this post. I am left handed and hold my Edge in my right. I do not have a problem using it. The Edge panel is notifications, and app access. The ones out there work great. Can there be some more with improvements, sure. I have tales with a few developers who stated the issue is to how 5.0 will effect the apps that will work with the screen. I love how I can use the edge to make a call or check a message without turning on the screen. Can you do that with a 4, or any other phone?

5.0 lollipop will have no effect with the apps with the screen. Please see the video below.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
5.0 lollipop will have no effect with the apps with the screen. Please see the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_dR-5ZKC2E

You hit the nail on the head.

It will not effect the edge panel or its apps at all, as the edge screen is controlled by touchwiz. And Samsung has included new features and functionality to the edge screen as well as touchwiz in general all packaged with the OTA lollipop update.

Dvoraak

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
When I was shopping around a couple of months ago all the AT&Ts near me had Edges but no Note 4's so I did take a good, long hard look at the Edge multiple times and at multiple locations. The short of it is it didn't justify the extra $100 to me. The long of it...... I don't like TW more than anyone else and I immediately install Nova, Appsi, GVS and other UI modifications to any phone I buy. That edge on the Edge is a TW remnant that can't be modified or gotten rid of. So..... I'm gonna get stuck with a piece of TW and it's ugly design and icons (interfering with any theming I do) and be charged an extra $100 for the privilege? No thanks. I waited for them to get Note 4's in stock, paid the cash price and knew I had better uses for that $100 saved. If the concept sticks in the long term, I'll look at it again but they're gonna have to add a lot more flexibility to that panel before I'll seriously consider it or the extra cost.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a Note 4 and am seriously thinking about taking the S5 I got last week back and either getting an Edge or a Note 3. I like having two phones and realize I want the S Pen. I just need to know I can get accessories for the Edge at retail locations. ...that I can have a good screen protector installed at a retail location. I'll be researching that this weekend. It'd be neat to have a Note 4 and Edge but it'd also be neat to have a Note 4, Note 3, and $340.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a Note 4 and am seriously thinking about taking the S5 I got last week back and either getting an Edge or a Note 3. I like having two phones and realize I want the S Pen. I just need to know I can get accessories for the Edge at retail locations. ...that I can have a good screen protector installed at a retail location. I'll be researching that this weekend. It'd be neat to have a Note 4 and Edge but it'd also be neat to have a Note 4, Note 3, and $340.

That seems way way to redundant. But whatever floats your boat.

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, as much as this seems like a thread explicitly designed for all of us to flame each other until we all get tired out, I feel compelled to throw in my views...

As far as battery life goes, no, I really don't feel that it's subjective. I actually don't think it's subjective at all. It's a 3200mAh battery vs a 3000mAh in what is essentially the same phone otherwise. There's nothing subjective about it. The Note 4 has more battery capacity.

That said, I still got the Edge because it's still a pretty big battery. I've been pleasantly surprised with the battery life even with the battery being smaller than the Note 4. The fast charging also makes the battery capacity a little less of an issue since it charges back up so fast.

The stock edge panels are fairly nice, but seriously, the news ticker is a joke. I tried it for a little, and it scrolls extremely slowly, and it resets to the same story every time you turn it off and come back to it (until the app itself updates with new stories). So, it seems like you just stare at the same story over and over, slowly scrolling by.

As far as holding it goes, I would definitely admit that the 4 is easier to hold since it's narrower than the Edge, but when I realized that the Edge is no wider than my last phone, the original Note, I didn't personally have a big problem with it. But yes, the Edge, like the first note, is a really wide phone.

While you could argue that the 4 technically has a bigger screen than the Edge, I think that the Edge's screen is a little more usable since the main part of the Edge's screen is wider than the 4's screen when there is nothing taking up the edge portion. The 4's screen seems a little too tall and skinny to me. Again, this does make the 4 easier to hold, but it wasn't a big deal to me since I was already coming from a very wide phone.

Is the edge a gimmick? It really all depends on your definition of a gimmick. I look at it this way... Technically you could argue that anything beyond the ability to make calls with your phone is a gimmick. So, I think it's a little disingenuous to call something a gimmick on a device that is essentially filled with gimmicks. They're all features. Some of them provide more overall value, some provide less. Honestly, for me, I just couldn't resist having a bendy screen on my phone, so I got the Edge, even though I recognize that most of its functionality is fairly redundant.

I will say that the one thing that the curved screen can do which a flat screen simply can't is the night clock. I mean, obviously a phone with a flat screen could do that. But, it's nice to still be able to see the display when it's laying flat on a table and you're at eye level with it. The night clock is a really cool use of the edge.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, as much as this seems like a thread explicitly designed for all of us to flame each other until we all get tired out, I feel compelled to throw in my views...

As far as battery life goes, no, I really don't feel that it's subjective. I actually don't think it's subjective at all. It's a 3200mAh battery vs a 3000mAh in what is essentially the same phone otherwise. There's nothing subjective about it. The Note 4 has more battery capacity.

That said, I still got the Edge because it's still a pretty big battery. I've been pleasantly surprised with the battery life even with the battery being smaller than the Note 4. The fast charging also makes the battery capacity a little less of an issue since it charges back up so fast.

The stock edge panels are fairly nice, but seriously, the news ticker is a joke. I tried it for a little, and it scrolls extremely slowly, and it resets to the same story every time you turn it off and come back to it (until the app itself updates with new stories). So, it seems like you just stare at the same story over and over, slowly scrolling by.

As far as holding it goes, I would definitely admit that the 4 is easier to hold since it's narrower than the Edge, but when I realized that the Edge is no wider than my last phone, the original Note, I didn't personally have a big problem with it. But yes, the Edge, like the first note, is a really wide phone.

While you could argue that the 4 technically has a bigger screen than the Edge, I think that the Edge's screen is a little more usable since the main part of the Edge's screen is wider than the 4's screen when there is nothing taking up the edge portion. The 4's screen seems a little too tall and skinny to me. Again, this does make the 4 easier to hold, but it wasn't a big deal to me since I was already coming from a very wide phone.

Is the edge a gimmick? It really all depends on your definition of a gimmick. I look at it this way... Technically you could argue that anything beyond the ability to make calls with your phone is a gimmick. So, I think it's a little disingenuous to call something a gimmick on a device that is essentially filled with gimmicks. They're all features. Some of them provide more overall value, some provide less. Honestly, for me, I just couldn't resist having a bendy screen on my phone, so I got the Edge, even though I recognize that most of its functionality is fairly redundant.

I will say that the one thing that the curved screen can do which a flat screen simply can't is the night clock. I mean, obviously a phone with a flat screen could do that. But, it's nice to still be able to see the display when it's laying flat on a table and you're at eye level with it. The night clock is a really cool use of the edge.

The thread is intended to be a debate on the fact a lot of people think the note edge is a gimmick phone. It's not a thread to "flame" eachother. The intent is to show people that have been told not to buy or to buy one or the other what actual users think and feel about the phone,and not basing it on a review by a person who has used the phone along with 6-10 other phones in a period of a week and not being able to invest the time to use the edge as their only phone, all day, everyday in real word senerios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa