Using a music keyboard with the NotePro

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in trying to get back into my music composition days using the NotePro. However, I've been told that Android itself doesn't work very well for creating music. Can anyone offer insight into using a MIDI keyboard with this (or any other Galaxy tablet)?

Posted via Android Central App

pdxham

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps not the best notation editor around, (I don't know, maybe it is ... ), an Android app called "Mobile Sheets" is otherwise very good. It does about everything reasonably expected, and so far I haven't had any problems, not of my own making, with it. You can create setlists, identify sheet music in many different ways (title, artist, genre, type, collections, key, etc.). It does have an editor feature, but you would need a blank notation image (pdf, jpg, etc.) to create your own composition. The editor is very handy for annotating existing sheets, but not for use capturing midi takes by itself. This app is mainly for managing existing sheet music collections, and setlists.

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried Caustic for making music? It's an awesome DAW, multiple synthesizers, tons of free user created patches, drums, sequencers, effect rack, etc.

I am waiting for my usb OTG connector to arrive before I can hook up a midi keyboard. Just using the built-in keyboard is fairly low latency.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried Caustic for making music? It's an awesome DAW, multiple synthesizers, tons of free user created patches, drums, sequencers, effect rack, etc.

I am waiting for my usb OTG connector to arrive before I can hook up a midi keyboard. Just using the built-in keyboard is fairly low latency.

I've played around with Caustic, and it is indeed an excellent bit of software. Let us know how the MIDI keyboard works out over OTG.

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I've played around with Caustic, and it is indeed an excellent bit of software. Let us know how the MIDI keyboard works out over OTG.

Will do!

What kind of music composition were you into 'back in the day?' What software did you use? I've used FL Studio on desktop for several years now, not consistently, but it's something I've always enjoyed. I play piano mostly, but the beauty with a synthesizer is that's all I need.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Will do!

What kind of music composition were you into 'back in the day?' What software did you use? I've used FL Studio on desktop for several years now, not consistently, but it's something I've always enjoyed. I play piano mostly, but the beauty with a synthesizer is that's all I need.

I'm very old. Old school, I mean. I used a fountain pen and pads of manuscript paper for composition and arranging, because the PC hadn't yet been invented. I've kept up with the theory and advances, though, and own an eight year old Yamaha MIDI keyboard, but haven't yet done much with it.

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm very old. Old school, I mean. I used a fountain pen and pads of manuscript paper for composition and arranging, because the PC hadn't yet been invented. I've kept up with the theory and advances, though, and own an eight year old Yamaha MIDI keyboard, but haven't yet done much with it.

That's awesome that you use pen and paper for composition. My sight reading and theory is not quite good enough for that, though I sometimes doodle staffs and notes.

The USB otg connector arrived yesterday so I was able to try my acorn master key midi keyboard with the tablet and Caustic 3. I'm happy to say it works, although the latency is not nearly where I'd like it to be to be truly useful as a live recorder. This is more to do with the Android os and its conventions than anything the caustic developer can do though. On my desktop with fl and the proper audio drivers i can get virtually no latency. On the tablet it feels like at least 100 ms.