how is the Note Pro 12.2's picture quality compared to Tab S 10.5(AMOLED)?

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
how is the Note Pro 12.2's picture quality compared to Tab S 10.5(AMOLED)?

I realize there is a big screen size difference.... just wondering why you guys think.'

Thanks!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Picture quality as in the camera or as in how good the display is? Title and post are a bit confusing :p

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
picture quality of the screen...

thanks!

Ah, OK. The Note Pro 12.2 has a TFT display, which isn't as vibrant as the SAMOLED you'll find on the Tab S. Reviews also mentioned that it's hard to view in direct sunlight. So unless you prefer the larger size display, I'd recommend the Tab S.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I think the pro screens are better. The over saturated colors of the amoled screens in the s seriesntablets just make everything look fake, not better imo.

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I think the pro screens are better. The over saturated colors of the amoled screens in the s seriesntablets just make everything look fake, not better imo.

the local Best Buy store has the Tab Pro 12.2 and Tab S 10.5 side-by-side. I had a hard time deciding which screen's quality looked better to me.... hard to say.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I haven't seen the ones in the Tab S series, but the SAMOLED display in the GS5 is one of the most accurate displays available in any phone.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I've got the GTS 8.4, and I just bought the GN Pro 12.2, so I might as well chime in.

The AMOLED screens are amazing, no doubt about it, but they really tend to be massively over-saturated -- it's almost cartoon colorish. The GN Pro 12.2's screen is impressive in its size, it certainly has the high resolution you want, and it's far more natural-looking compared to the AMOLED screens. This stuff is VERY important to me, and I can tell you that I'm very happy with the GN Pro 12.2's image quality.

thoots

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've got the GTS 8.4, and I just bought the GN Pro 12.2, so I might as well chime in.

The AMOLED screens are amazing, no doubt about it, but they really tend to be massively over-saturated -- it's almost cartoon colorish. The GN Pro 12.2's screen is impressive in its size, it certainly has the high resolution you want, and it's far more natural-looking compared to the AMOLED screens. This stuff is VERY important to me, and I can tell you that I'm very happy with the GN Pro 12.2's image quality.

thoots

Which do you like more. The specs are pretty similar in terms of chips, etc. What do you use it for? Do you find the 12.2 too large to carry daily? Any other previous tablets you carry?

I have a Note 3, and 7" Kindle Tablet, looking at making the next step up.
Either the 10.5 or 12.2. Is the 12.2 good for media? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
No worries about questions -- that's why we're here. :)

So, let me go through a few things:

1. Which do I like more?

I like the big GNP 12.2 over the GTS 8.4, mainly because of size. I can use the smallest fonts on the GNP and everything on screen is still plenty big enough -- I can finally use some of that extra resolution to see more of a "full screen" like a normal computer monitor. It's really a difference compared to smaller tablets -- for the first time, I don't feel that I'm seeing a "squished" version of everything.

No doubt that the GNP is a gigantic monster -- I don't feel that it's really heavier or anything like that, but it's kind of a shock just to handle the thing -- I figure it might save my life if I'm ever in one of those mass shooting things, as I could use it as a shield. ;-)

I expect I'll get used to it over time, but in the meantime, it's just very, very nice. It will still fit into any of my bags that would fit a normal notebook computer, though I suppose I'll run into some "iPad pockets" that it won't fit into.

The GTS is a very nice little machine, though -- that screen is really just absolutely amazing. Though, as I said, it really is at least a bit over-saturated, but boy does it make pictures look great. Still, pictures are no slouch on the big GNP.

In the end, I've got a GNP LTE with a data plan, so I can travel with it and have service, so that's what I want -- something big enough to see maps on, and so on. I'm pretty happy with it.

2. What do I use them for?

Well, as I said above, I've got the GNP LTE with a data plan, so that goes with me everywhere I go. I mainly use it for e-mail, web browsing, media playing, and a bit of document viewing. The GTS is really just "excess baggage" around the house -- it might become more of a "big media player" more than anything else, while I use the big GNP for other stuff.

3. Do I find the 12.2-inch tablet too big to carry?

Not really at all, like I mentioned above. I've always got either a soft briefcase-style bag that can hold my gadgets and camera equipment, or a backpack that can do the same, if that's what I need -- and the GNP will fit into either with ease. The only time the GNP feels a bit "too big" is when I handle it, and it's just odd to be handling something that big. But, I expect I'll get over that, and it will feel "natural" in pretty short order.

4. Any previous tablets?

I just have the GNP and the GTS now, though I've gone through a few other things. I actually bailed out of an iPad Air to go for the GNP -- I got the iPad back in January 2014, and the only "big" Samsung tablet that AT&T had (I was going to stick with them) was the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 -- there was no way I was going to depend on that old thing. Which is the only thing they had for what seemed to be three or four years. ;-)

So, I got the iPad, instead. A nice piece of equipment, but I think iTunes is just the most horrendous piece of garbage software program I've ever encountered, and using the iPad for much beyond e-mail and Internet (i.e., like "documents" was just too much iTunes hassle to be worth even trying. So, I sold the iPad and got the GNP. And now I can EASILY do EVERYTHING I want to do with a tablet. What a concept.

I've also had the original Galaxy Note 10.1, the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014, the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, and the Galaxy Tab 7.7 -- with the AMOLED screen, the predecessor to the new Galaxy Tab S models. I'm definitely happier with the two I have now over all of the older stuff.

5. Is the 12.2 good for media?

Oh, you bet. I see the GNP as being "better" for pictures, without the too-saturated colors, though there's still plenty of high-resolution goodness to make them look very impressive. And size makes them look good, too.

The same goes for videos -- the difference between videos on the big screen compared to the 8.4-inch screen is simply amazing. VERY nice.

As for music, I'm happy with it -- I've read a review on gsmarena.com that mentioned how it had very good, clean sound output, which is more than I'll be able to hear or measure myself. I use my tablets with the Bose SoundLink III speaker, and I'm very happy with the sound. I also have the SoundLink Mini, which is utterly AMAZING for such a small speaker -- I recommend both of these highly.

I think that covers everything -- and I hope it helps. Good luck with the hunt!

thoots

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the in depth answers. It will help. I am waiting on a couple of more gift cards to come in so I will have a few weeks to think about it. I need to just go by a best buy and actually mess with both of them for an extended period.

I am not worried about size to carry around and the battery life of the 12.2 seems really good.

One last thing, do you find there to be much lag in having more than one app open on either? I've seen some reviews complaining about lag on the 12.2. I wondered if those people are trying to actively work in multiple apps, or if I actually have to close them out. I know on my Note 3 I don't always close them, but their essentially idle in the background and I don't have lag.

Posted via Android Central App

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I hear people whining about lag, but all I can tell you is that I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what those people are talking about. I have never felt that any of the Samsung tablets I've had were "slow" in any way. Perhaps they're trying to run massive games, or run dozens of things at the same time -- beats the heck out of me.

I really haven't even tried any of the "muti-screen" windows or anything like that -- I just don't tend to have any need for that kind of thing at all. Either I'm checking e-mail, or I'm browsing the web, and so on. I just haven't had any need to do several things on-screen at the same time.

As for getting rid of things in the background, I know that there is some debate and discussion about that, but nowadays the old "menu" button (left side of the main hard button) pops up a list of all of the running apps, and it's got a "close all" button, so it takes about a half-second to wipe everything out if you want to do that. Whether I really need to do that or not, I'll generally wipe everything out if I've been going through a bunch of apps over time.

So, that's all "no big deal" as far as I'm concerned.

Moving along, indeed, you can go to Best Buy and play with them at length -- I would recommend that highly. Another thing to consider is stuff like keyboards and cases -- I popped for the Samsung keyboard for my GNP. I really won't use it that much -- mainly only when I'm traveling, and the tablet will become "my computer," and it should do a fine job at that. I need a "normal" case the rest of the time, and I actually just returned the Samsung Book Cover case -- I've generally like the things on my other tablets, but it's just too flimsy for the big 12.2-inch GNP. I got the Belkin case for it, and I'm about a million times happier with it. It's a bit more bulky, but I don't think you get the 12.2-inch tablet if you're worried about bulk. It's more that you need the solid structure that the Belkin case provides, and I've sure been happy with it.

Bear in mind that the Galaxy Tab S models have an entirely different case system than the older tablets -- with cases that "plug into" the holes in the back of the tablet, and those cases are a bit more structured than the old Book Cover cases -- curving around to completely close the case, providing some different view angles, and so on.

Again, good luck!

thoots

sojibby

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site

thoots

I think there are different display modes you can use for better colour accuracy, the vibrant one being default so the colours pop in the store and on the street. AMOLEDs themselves aren't oversaturated just the settings. In fact displaymate just rated the Note 4 AMOLED the most accurate colours in a mobile ever - just have to change the settings.

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The lag that folks are reporting is leaving the tablet in active sync mode most of the time I think. Every tablet I've owned that had lag was cured 98% of the time by turning off active syncing. I put a widget on the home screen with the switches for bluetooth, active sync etc.. And after I check my email after startup I tap the switch and turn it off, works wonders and its easy to do...

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the codec settings but generally the Snapdragon based variants have better support (the LTE models) than the Exynos ones (wifi model).

YMMV. Best to be specific about what source your qhd video is from. Youtube streaming of 4k on my SM-P900 (US Wifi model) is a no-go most of the time but I could really care less. 1080p looks just fine to me on mobile devices so I really don't want to waste bandwidth or storage space on higher resolution videos (i do understand that if one has stuff in that format they'd rather not have to re-encode it just to support a different device).

mick21

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
hi muzzy thanks for your answer the reason i was asking is im getting my note 4 on friday and im going to vegas the following week i have bought 2 128gb micro sd and im buying the note pro when i come back i was going to record video at 1440 on the note 4 and was just hoping to play it back on the bigger screen on the note pro

Joshua Cooper

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
This is my first forum that I have joined and I must say it's from all the great responses from this thread! You guys and gals ;) ROCK! So what's the final verdict for a youtuber and movie fanatic like myself? I will be going to best buy soon for my personal bday present! Haha! Thanks thanks thanks!

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
bought a note pro 12.2 sm-p900 and unfortunately it doesnt connect w my soundlink mini. what should i do?
Look back up the page at post 10 by "thoots": he states he is connecting to his soundlink mini no probs. Maybe you should pm him and go over settings - like which app you are using, have you turned on wifi or blue-tooth etc.

Mick21:
your question should not be "will the Pro play qhd video" but "which app is the most versatile for playing the most different video codecs" and for me the answer is the "old reliable" - VLC. Was great on the old PC and is still great on android tablets. And is still free. Maybe other users have different suggestions based on their experience, but I have been very happy playing full HD video (.ts format) with 5.1 surround audio tracks using VLC on my Pro.